Surprise senior discount!

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not see how I can make my point any clearer.I stated that people who were in the National Guard for 6 months and never left the state in which they live perhaps should not be entitled to a discount .

Thank you for your clarification.  To some degree, I share your opinion.  For instance, if there are 40 staterooms being offered at a military rate, 39 are booked to someone who has been on active duty and the last two people are trying to get that last room at the military rate,  I think it should be given to the one who did active duty for a period of time.  (I have never experienced anyone asking us for ID until we check in, so I don't know how they would determine that at the time of booking.) 

However, I do recognize that they are subject to being called up for various reasons. If the business offering the discount feels it is proper to extend that offer to National Guard and reservists,  that's their decision. I don't begrudge anyone in the National Guard getting a discount for putting themselves in a positions that many civilians would never consider, not even if it is only for six months and they never leave the state. I think it is nice that offer that discount.   
Why do you object to it even being offered? Or why do you object to someone using a discount to which they are entitled? 

On 5/16/2020 at 10:58 AM, lenquixote66 said:

There should always be discounts to police and fire people.I have neighbors who were in the National Guard for 6 months in the state they lived in and get great discounts always.I think the military discounts should only be for people who were active in a branch of the Armed Forces.

Disagree. My Step Dad Drafted in Army in 1968 did less then 2yrs in Germany. My Grand Father joined Guard in 1940, served in South Pacific 1942-1946, Retired in 1974 as Colonel with 34yrs. He spent more time in Combat then I did. Which is more deserving?  Have Veteran friends did 30-40yrs in Guard. Post 9/11 majority of Guard/Reserves Units were called up at least once, some multiple times spending 2-4yrs in Iraq/Afghanistan. When I taught Military students my classes almost always had more Guard/Reserve then Active. Active Forces couldn't function without Reserves or Guard or the other way around. Should look at structure, some Active Units are now assigned and serve under Guard Unit/Leadership. When I'm at the VA we are not the Active Army, Guard, Reserves or Branch of Service, we are one. Doesn't matter how long served or where I respect anyone that has put on the Uniform...

Edited by ONECRUISER

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following: 

1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.
  2. Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed RED (Reserve retired personnel) or BLUE (Active Duty retired personnel) Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess a green NDI-75 card (retired personnel). All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.
  3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.
  4. Spouses of actively deployed military personnel are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. This rate also applies to all other guests traveling in the same stateroom. Spouses of deceased military personnel are also eligible for the military rate. As proof of eligibility, spouses must present the Pink or Tan Dependent Military ID upon check-in.
  • All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom. 

10 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

Unless he/she changed it,  they said it should only apply to those who were active in the military.  I took that to mean anyone who had been active duty and not primarily a reservist (which people can be "activated" and serve "active duty" for long periods of time).  I took it to automatically extend to military retirees- as they would have been active for an entire career and then retired- which, to me, would fit under the category of "were active."  I don't know how the person feels about someone who did one enlistment and did not extend.   They would certainly fit into the category of "were active."  There are lots of possibilities to how one could be active but no longer active. 
I know many places offer discounts to "active duty only."  Thankfully, this is not the case with the cruise lines that do offer military rates. Most at least extend to retirees. 

I do not know whether it was changed, but I read it several times and there was nothing there to make me think the opinion included an “automatic extension” to retirees (since all the included categories were named). Most of us write things that make sense to us and then others see differently.  What is the saying, communication is somewhere between what you say and I hear?  I only wanted to be clear in my post since the original post was not in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, TheMiz said:

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following: 

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

This is what I have always understood as the policy for Veterans discounts.  I cut out the rest of the policy when I quoted it.   I wish it was you just have to have a DD214 for an honorable discharge.  We all signed a blank check payable with our lives when we were sworn in.  Too bad this policy only describes qualifications for the US Military.  Military from every country did the same in service for their countries.  I imagine there are similar qualifications for booking from each country.

14 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

Thank you for your clarification.  To some degree, I share your opinion.  For instance, if there are 40 staterooms being offered at a military rate, 39 are booked to someone who has been on active duty and the last two people are trying to get that last room at the military rate,  I think it should be given to the one who did active duty for a period of time.  (I have never experienced anyone asking us for ID until we check in, so I don't know how they would determine that at the time of booking.) 

However, I do recognize that they are subject to being called up for various reasons. If the business offering the discount feels it is proper to extend that offer to National Guard and reservists,  that's their decision. I don't begrudge anyone in the National Guard getting a discount for putting themselves in a positions that many civilians would never consider, not even if it is only for six months and they never leave the state. I think it is nice that offer that discount.   
Why do you object to it even being offered? Or why do you object to someone using a discount to which they are entitled? 

I object to the people who joined the National Guard in the 60’s solely to avoid going to Vietnam.They spent weekends at an army base base in the state they lived in.

Those people in my opinion should not be given discounts on cruises.

I knew several people who went to Vietnam and came home in coffins.

12 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Disagree. My Step Dad Drafted in Army in 1968 did less then 2yrs in Germany. My Grand Father joined Guard in 1940, served in South Pacific 1942-1946, Retired in 1974 as Colonel with 34yrs. He spent more time in Combat then I did. Which is more deserving?  Have Veteran friends did 30-40yrs in Guard. Post 9/11 majority of Guard/Reserves Units were called up at least once, some multiple times spending 2-4yrs in Iraq/Afghanistan. When I taught Military students my classes almost always had more Guard/Reserve then Active. Active Forces couldn't function without Reserves or Guard or the other way around. Should look at structure, some Active Units are now assigned and serve under Guard Unit/Leadership. When I'm at the VA we are not the Active Army, Guard, Reserves or Branch of Service, we are one. Doesn't matter how long served or where I respect anyone that has put on the Uniform...

Again you and the other person are not reading what I said,There is a difference between the people in the Guard who went to war and those who joined solely to get out of being drafted and going to Viet Nam.The latter spent weekends on bases like Fort Drum.

58 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Again you and the other person are not reading what I said,There is a difference between the people in the Guard who went to war and those who joined solely to get out of being drafted and going to Viet Nam.The latter spent weekends on bases like Fort Drum.

Disagree, no difference. What about men how Married/Stayed Married, had kids or stayed in College to avoid serving? They better or worse then someone in Military?... Most don't realize Majority that served in Vietnam actually Volunteered and were not Drafted. Ironically the Majority that served during WW2 had to be Drafted. Not to take away from either... Could tell you many stories these National Guard Soldiers. With an absent Father I grew up around my Grand Father and the Vietnam Era Guardsmen. In the 1950's-74 Thousands were operating the almost 100 Nike/Herc Missile Sites protecting our Country. During Vietnam his men(weren't Women his units) went threw the Riots, Tornado's, Flooding and along with thousands others some of his Troops did get the Call and served in Vietnam. Was the Governments choice not to deploy most the Reserves to Vietnam. Before and since they served in almost every Conflict. Was a lesson learned, to regain support US Civilians during Conflicts they changed the way we deploy and fight with the integration of Active and Reserves in early 1970's... Oh and I also know Active Army and several Guardsmen that came home in Coffins. My High School Classmate, Friends, my Brother's

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Disagree, no difference. What about men how Married/Stayed Married, had kids or stayed in College to avoid serving? They better or worse then someone in Military?... Most don't realize Majority that served in Vietnam actually Volunteered and were not Drafted. Ironically the Majority that served during WW2 had to be Drafted. Not to take away from either... Could tell you many stories these National Guard Soldiers. With an absent Father I grew up around my Grand Father and the Vietnam Era Guardsmen. In the 1950's-74 Thousands were operating the almost 100 Nike/Herc Missile Sites protecting our Country. During Vietnam his men(weren't Women his units) went threw the Riots, Tornado's, Flooding and along with thousands others some of his Troops did get the Call and served in Vietnam. Was the Governments choice not to deploy most the Reserves to Vietnam. Before and since they served in almost every Conflict. Was a lesson learned, to regain support US Civilians during Conflicts they changed the way we deploy and fight with the integration of Active and Reserves in early 1970's. 

I still do not believe that you understand my point and to further try to explain it will cause CC to remove my post and possibly me . Therefore,I will not post on this topic any longer.Stay Safe.

Wow!! I mean WOW!!. I cant tell you how many times I've checked cruise prices since turning 55, probably in the thousands. I always click on "senior", "state of residence" and enter my C&A number. I've never, ever seen a senior discount.

This is all I get.

Capture.PNG

Must also be solo discount, idk  but this is price for solo balcony. Best balcony price I've seen on rcl out of Galveston. 

Since most cruise with 2 people, the 2nd is the price for 2, still good. Feb 28, jewel OTS out of gslveston

20200518_145322785.jpeg

20200518_145542032.jpeg

I just did a reprice for my 5 night Adventure OTS Bermuda cruise for 10/17.    I was originally booked for a OV and with the senior discount for 55+ (my DH) we were able to upgrade to a spacious OV balcony and an additional $162 savings.   I checked prices for 3 other cruises we have booked but no savings for any of them, Yet!    

I check at least once a week.

I still have a adventure 4 day booked but hope to move it to something better. When we did the shifting around my 9 day and 5 day got folded into 2 weeks b2b and I had to pay a little.

Cant apply 2 fccs to the same booking. I sure wish i could have grabbed all 4 weeks of jewel feb 2021 pricing but my parents depend on me to grocery shop. 2 weeks is pushing it. Drat. 

The above pricing is so good solo pricing it almost looks like a mistake. 

Is there a easier way than spending hours going thru each booking to see if senior rate applies? I had more more I wanted gone, the tail end of a 4/5 b2b so I was looking for one more good rate.

Besides the jewel I found one more on liberty may 9th, 2021, I think around $787 cruisefare for liberty OTS out of Galveston. Just the one date on liberty lol. If you are age 55 plus check out that date. 

Is there a easier way to see what cruises have senior rates? I sure need the secret other than checking each date because it doesnt show up on royal site until you click thru. Has to be a easier way. 

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Is there a easier way than spending hours going thru each booking to see if senior rate applies? I had more more I wanted gone, the tail end of a 4/5 b2b so I was looking for one more good rate.

Besides the jewel I found one more on liberty may 9th, 2021, I think around $787 cruisefare for liberty OTS out of Galveston. Just the one date on liberty lol. If you are age 55 plus check out that date. 

Is there a easier way to see what cruises have senior rates? I sure need the secret other than checking each date because it doesnt show up on royal site until you click thru. Has to be a easier way. 

Before they "improved" their website you could click on the special rates and only see those that applied , not any more