Protests onboard Majesty of the Seas

AND, look at the picture. Absolutely no masks. no social distancing, no concern for Covid 19.  Fools folly to think there will be any longe term changes once cruising resumes.   I was surprised yesterday at my local grocery store, few were wearing masks and most checkers were also mask free. SO CAL beaches were packed.  No new normal, just back to normal. 

14 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

AND, look at the picture. Absolutely no masks. no social distancing, no concern for Covid 19.  Fools folly to think there will be any longe term changes once cruising resumes.   I was surprised yesterday at my local grocery store, few were wearing masks and most checkers were also mask free. SO CAL beaches were packed.  No new normal, just back to normal. 

Heck, they have been isolated on that ship long enough they don’t have to worry about social distancing- that ship is probably the safest place they could be right now!

• Like 3

Posted today on Crew Center from someone onboard Majesty. I do feel for what they're going through. It's the uncertainty that is getting to many of them. This crew member was transferred from Celebrity Reflection to Majesty and says he will be transferred again. In reading many of the posts on Crew Center from crew members it's apparent that how it is onboard and how they're treated is different from ship to ship and cruise line to cruise line. The majority of posts I've read and personal messages I've had from crew onboard RCI ships have been positive. Hoping these deserving men and women can get to their home countries soon. 

From Crew Member on Majesty 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Posted today on Crew Center from someone onboard Majesty. I do feel for what they're going through. It's the uncertainty that is getting to many of them. This crew member was transferred from Celebrity Reflection to Majesty and says he will be transferred again. In reading many of the posts on Crew Center from crew members it's apparent that how it is and how they're treated is different from ship to ship and cruise line to cruise line. Hoping these deserving men and women can get to their home countries soon. 

From Crew Member on Majesty 

They're being treated like a commodity, not the people that they are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

These are the staff that have cleaned up after you, served you and entertained you.  We should show a little compassion.  Most need the money to support others at home and most are not getting paid.  Some can handle the isolation better then others.  Royal has been slow to get them home I’m sure because of the cost involved.  I can’t blame them for being upset.  It’s time to get them home.  

You sign on for the life of a sailor things happen. Merchant ship sailors are having the same thing happen to them. They can't  get off for a change of crew.

These people work under contract, they are not RCL employees. They know they work from contract to contract. Who's going to hire them right now anyway?

Don't you have more empathy for all the RCL people that were let go?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NordicPrince said:

You sign on for the life of a sailor things happen. Merchant ship sailors are having the same thing happen to them. They can't  get off for a change of crew.

These people work under contract, they are not RCL employees. They know they work from contract to contract. Who's going to hire them right now anyway?

At least the US based RCL people are in their own homes and eligible for stimulus checks and unemployment insurance.

25 minutes ago, NordicPrince said:

Also, a ship is probably the safest place they can be.

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Where would they get it from? lmao at stupid statements of outrage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

At least the US based RCL people are in their own homes and eligible for stimulus checks and unemployment insurance.

Obviously you haven't had to apply for unemployment insurance lately. 

And how far would unemployment and stimulus check go in a major city like Miami go?

Those people are going to be out for awhile.

No offense, I worry about Americans first. Contract people know what they're getting into.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

I would like to think the US based ship workers are at home as well. Ships have been in ports enough to let them get off

I have felt sad and sorry for the crew not being able to get home sooner.  Travel across the whole globe came to a grinding halt.  I feel rcl is doing the best they can in arranging travel to all the countries their crew are home based in.  Most of the countries didnt want anyone flying in whether you were a resident or not.  

The amount of time in coordinating  and money it is taking to send crew home is all on rcl and they are doing the best they can with the present circumstances.

Doesnt seem like some of the crew that started this protest really knows what is going on.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

Trying to get 10 of thousands home while typhoons in the Philippines are going on and airport closures to international flights has to be a logistical nightmare.  

Typhoon in the Philippines did not do anything to interfere with repatriation, 25 ships moved out of Manila Bay and then back in again.  Once Americans get off the ships the US Embassy is helping US citizens get flights to SF or LA with prices of $1,500 per person including fees for economy class flights on Philippine Airlines.  Our tickets for 6/9/20 cost $800 each, scheduled to fly non-stop 16 hours Manila to JFK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

LMAO I don't see any Americans or Canadians taking these low paying, long hour, stuck on a cruise ship for months on end jobs. 

Not in the lower paying jobs but see Canadians on pretty much every Cruise Ship been on. Not as many American's but seen lot them also

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not in the lower paying jobs but see Canadians on pretty much every Cruise Ship been on....

US citizens stranded on Voyager in Manila Bay are entertainers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have felt sad and sorry for the crew not being able to get home sooner.  Travel across the whole globe came to a grinding halt.  I feel rcl is doing the best they can in arranging travel to all the countries their crew are home based in.  Most of the countries didnt want anyone flying in whether you were a resident or not.  

The amount of time in coordinating  and money it is taking to send crew home is all on rcl and they are doing the best they can with the present circumstances.

Doesnt seem like some of the crew that started this protest really knows what is going on.

100 %

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigeck said:

Also, a ship is probably the safest place they can be.

Not so sure about that.

Spanishguy1970 posted this link on the NCL board - here's a snip - and the rest of the article is very telling:

"While most passengers were able to get off cruise ships by early April, crew members have largely remained stuck. During the prolonged isolation, the virus continued to spread through the ships. At least 578 crew contracted COVID-19 at sea and seven have died, according to a Herald analysis".

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242565281.html

2 hours ago, NordicPrince said:

Obviously you haven't had to apply for unemployment insurance lately. 

And how far would unemployment and stimulus check go in a major city like Miami go?

Those people are going to be out for awhile.

No offense, I worry about Americans first. Contract people know what they're getting into.

No one ever "has" to apply for unemployment. Everyone who does so chooses to.

As a human being id hope that the management of the lines would take care of their workers, I'm not close enough to that industry to know for certain, but I'll be naive enough to assume there's teams of people in corporate offices trying to get those who want to go home, home.

However, I can feel empathy for the workers on board who are scared, lonely and miss their families, many of whom are not making any money for being there, some who are quarantined in their windowless rooms.  Can you imagine being stuck inside a windowless room 24 hours a day? Here in Canada a few years ago there was a big scandal when many prisoners were put in isolation cells for no good reason, because it causes all kinds of physiological issues, I know these workers are in more comfortable settings than prison, but in some cases the room isn't that different.

These are human beings, like you and me, no one forced them to be on the ships but in many cases they are there because in developing countries getting paid such low wages still is an opportunity to provide for their families in ways no other job would for them.  To have that taken away and then be forced to remain on a ship would definitely feel scary, frustrating and confusing for anyone... sure they may not know or have confidence in what their corporate office is trying to do for them, but I am not going to begrudge them for expressing the emotions they feel.

Its a messy situation, these times were living in.

Edited by jwakeli
Clarity
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jwakeli said:

As a human being id hope that the management of the lines would take care of their workers, I'm not close enough to that industry to know for certain, but I'll be naive enough to assume there's teams of people in corporate offices trying to get those who want to go home, home.

However, I can feel empathy for the workers on board who are scared, lonely and miss their families, many of whom are not making any money for being there, some who are quarantined in their windowless rooms.  Can you imagine being stuck inside a windowless room 24 hours a day? Here in Canada a few years ago there was a big scandal when many prisoners were put in isolation cells for no good reason, because it causes all kinds of physiological issues, I know these workers are in more comfortable settings than prison, but in some cases the room isn't that different.

These are human beings, like you and me, no one forced them to be on the ships but in many cases they are there because in developing countries getting paid such low wages still is an opportunity to provide for their families in ways no other job would for them.  To have that taken away and then be forced to remain on a ship would definitely feel scary, frustrating and confusing for anyone... sure they may not know or have confidence in what their corporate office is trying to do for them, but I am not going to begrudge them for expressing the emotions they feel.

Its a messy situation, these times were living in.

jwakeli - My guess is that the crew members have no confidence in what corporate is doing because .... corporate has done a truly wretched job up until now. 

(And of course, they wouldn't be stranded in the first place if the greed-fueled cruise executives hadn't kept dispatching ships in February and March ... catastrophically stupid decisions that led to deaths, sicknesses and nasty-long cabin quarantines for passengers and crew alike. )

Since then, it's been nearly two months of RCI executives ducking, dodging and blowing smoke about the stranded crew. They've tried to blame the CDC, other countries' governments and just about anyone except ... themselves. No surprise.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242565281.html

But meanwhile, there's been a question posed to the cruise line defenders here for more than a week now. If it was Fain, Bayley, Liberty and that bunch stranded on a ship, what would have happened:

a) exactly the same thing; they'd still be stuck on board 64 days later like the low-paid waiters from Indonesia and the Filipino deck crew; 

b) RCI would have miraculously "discovered" the diplomatic contacts, the $$ and the legal resources to have them back to their mansions within 24 hours.