NCL Advertising Mailers Have Returned

It's been months since I've received a mailer catalog of cruise "deals"  Usually showing entry level pricing at $300 pp with 5 perks...but yesterday all that changed when the latest advertisement arrived.  Before the pandemic and cruising halt, they mailers came weekly and sometimes even more frequently.

So what's changed?  FDR indicated in a recent interview that their post-pandemic pricing strategy would not be to reduce prices.  However, in bold lettering on the front page it reads, "Cruises from $199 + five perks, including Free Kids"  Seems like a fare lowering strategy to me.

While I didn't look at all of the highlighted itineraries, I noticed that several in this latest ad are for dates in November and December, like Breakaway out of NOLA.  

The Breakaway cruise out of NOLA is appealing to me and I even checked out the pricing...but no way would I book it right now.  My wondering is this....is returning to the same old type of advertising models going to be enough to attract people back on to ships?  Or will NCL have to take a more bold, outside of the box approach?  

Based on what I what I cancelled with NCL and have booked with them next year they would need a real 50% off sale. The few cruises I priced out today looking forward just make me laugh at FDR and his price modeling going forward. No typical sale they offer would ever get me to pay the stupid high prices they are asking. I sail with kids and the offerings for KSF are awful and when they are back in school in the fall for most of them . No thanks and not a way to get cruisers back. “Come back and get on board ....and maybe get Covid 19 for double what you used to pay” .....Nope. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Based on what I what I cancelled with NCL and have booked with them next year they would need a real 50% off sale. The few cruises I priced out today looking forward just make me laugh at FDR and his price modeling going forward. No typical sale they offer would ever get me to pay the stupid high prices they are asking. I sail with kids and the offerings for KSF are awful and when they are back in school in the fall for most of them . No thanks and not a way to get cruisers back. “Come back and get on board ....and maybe get Covid 19 for double what you used to pay” .....Nope. 

So true. My cancelled 11 Day Greek Isles from Venice in July is $4400.00 more for the exact same cruise in July of 2021. Not a chance I will pay over $11,000.00 CND for that cruise plus airfare. We can travel across Europe on land for a Month for that price and come home with change to spare.

There is the extra cost for inflation, but this is just trying to gouge!!!!!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ladybugpug said:

I've been getting the mailings this entire time. Also from Viking. You just have to laugh. 

Honestly, what's wrong with a company advertising?  

3 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Agree.  It's going to be their life blood now more than ever and they are going to have to come up with some pretty creative approaches as we move forward. 

Which was really the point of my OP...what should advertising look like for NCL and what will it take to get people to make new bookings...not FCC bookings?  Pricing strategies of the past aren't going to be enough, IMO.

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

They are advertising a product that is now not defined, that is what.

What precisely will be the cruise product advertised for x $ on x date.?

Absolutely will not put a penny down on a ill defined product offering. Until I know precisely what the NCL product from booking to disembarkation will be - not interested.

27 minutes ago, ladybugpug said:

I've been getting the mailings this entire time. Also from Viking. You just have to laugh. 

There has been a slow flow of NCL email promotions throughout. I got a couple of RCL emails a week. Not sure what there is to laugh about. Like every other business in the world, they will open as soon as they can. And being on a cruise ship will likely be a lot safer than the Wisconsin bars. 

38 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

They are advertising a product that is now not defined, that is what.

What precisely will be the cruise product advertised for x $ on x date.?

Absolutely will not put a penny down on a ill defined product offering. Until I know precisely what the NCL product from booking to disembarkation will be - not interested.

Well, it seems you aren't the target market....early adopters will take the leap.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

I not only got a mailer this past week but also an email from a PCC. As usual, I just put the mailer in my recycle bin. Never used a PCC before. Oh well, I guess NCL has money to burn.

Edited by IrieBajan54
word