Don't Bet on NCL Making It Says The Motley Fool

cruiser4801

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Well...how will you ever know? 

People haven't been cruising for over two months, yet people are still catching and dying from this (and other) diseases...proving that this certainly isn't a cruise issue. So...how will you ever be 100% safe from everything - can you tell me?

By that logic I should be allowed to drive drunk. I know how many I can handle. My car, my choice. People die from other things, too. How can you ever be safe from everything? 

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

40% of new cases in New York are people obeying the Stay at Home Order.  Clearly staying at home is very risky, will you ask them to sign the same waiver?

If you are going to tout that stat perhaps consider there are approximately 80,000 multi resident buildings in NYC. New York Public Housing alone has 325 properties with 400,000 residents. Each sharing the same entrance/exit, stairwells and elevators to get groceries etc.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

The cognitive dissonance of this statement is staggering.

Nice try, but if want this interpreted as anything but psychobabble, you need to identify the actual contradiction...go ahead...I'll wait...  Ok, thought so.

If the split is pushing even, what's the difference?  It's just evidence that Stay at Home wasn't as effective as promised.  Why should cruising or theme parks be any different?  Stay home, 40%, cruise 60%.  I think your problem is with the people who have decided that 20% difference isn't work cancelling life over.  If I get ccv on a cruise on August or at Publix in October, I don't see the difference...other than I skipped a fun cruise.

Please, find the exact quote where I say the ccv is fake or anything even similar...go ahead...I'll wait...Ok, though so.

Now go find the exact quote where I say I won't practice the safety guidelines...go ahead...I'll wait...Ok, though so.

To remind, all I've ever said is that I have no conditions that make me susceptible to complications from the ccv, like the vast, vast majority of people.  I don't stay at home during flu season either.  I didn't cancel cruises during Zika or Chikungunya either.

When cruising returns, I'll be there with everyone else who feels the same way.  If you have reason to worry, don't cruise.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Nice try, but if want this interpreted as anything but psychobabble, you need to identify the actual contradiction...go ahead...I'll wait...  Ok, thought so.

Psychobabble? Bless your heart. I'm sorry I used words that were too complicated. 

Also the "I'll wait...Okay, thought so" - cute but how exactly could I have responded to your post literally while you were still typing it? 

You also don't understand that when you stay at home you're MINIMIZING THE RISK YOU POSE TO OTHER PEOPLE. Why don't you just admit you don't care about people you don't know and can't see? You don't give a darn how your actions impact others, you just think "I should get to do what I want when I want." 

And you're drawing an equivalence between an essential activity like grocery shopping, and going on a cruise? There's your dissonance right there. If you can't understand why a comparison like that is so patently absurd, you're not worth engaging with further. 

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Except they're not...at least not at a greater rate then the myriad other conditions that befall seemingly healthy people.

That is absolutely not true. There is no other EXTREMELY contagious novel virus out there, with no vaccine and no treatment (no Trump's snake oil malaria drug cure doesn't work) with the ability to put a perfectly healthy young adult in the ICU.

And just focusing on deaths is a stupid metric. You should pay more attention to reporting like this, which your cavalier attitude clearly shows you haven't seen. 

https://www.popsci.com/story/health/covid-19-strokes-young-adults/

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, boatseller said:

I didn't cancel cruises during Zika or Chikungunya either.

Something tells me that Zika and Chikungunya don't produce results like these:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927976

We get it, you're not afraid. Life has to go on. Etc etc. Just remember these are real people, not numbers, and a large percentage of them didn't need to die from this dumb virus. More of them will die because people need their freedoms more than they need to protect their fellow citizens. 

Edited by AdoraBelle

2 minutes ago, boatseller said:

So, this is where I point out that this is merely anecdotal evidence with no clinical study or verification?  🙂

I love it when people with no idea what they're talking about try to sound smart. 

You don't do a "clinical study" in this context. That's something you do to test treatments or drugs. 

1 hour ago, NoobCroozer said:

If you are going to tout that stat perhaps consider there are approximately 80,000 multi resident buildings in NYC. New York Public Housing alone has 325 properties with 400,000 residents. Each sharing the same entrance/exit, stairwells and elevators to get groceries etc.

Was that 40% stat derived just from the NYC Metro area or was it all of New York State?  You know, the green part of the state where half of the population lives.

54 minutes ago, boatseller said:

ccv

Curious - what does 'ccv' stand for?  I've heard Covid-19, Coronavirus, Novel Coronavirus but nothing that comes out to ccv...

3 minutes ago, boatseller said:

So, this is where I point out that this is merely anecdotal evidence with no clinical study or verification?  🙂

Sorry, are you suggesting that the prevalence of severe clotting issues in COVID19 is just anecdotal? What source would be good enough for you?

And I guess you're not buying this either, or at least not enough kids have been affected yet:

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2020/han00432.asp

Every day they find some new horrible twist for this disease, including stuff that is showing up way late in the disease course. 

Just now, AdoraBelle said:

Sorry, are you suggesting that the prevalence of severe clotting issues in COVID19 is just anecdotal? What source would be good enough for you?

And I guess you're not buying this either, or at least not enough kids have been affected yet:

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2020/han00432.asp

Every day they find some new horrible twist for this disease, including stuff that is showing up way late in the disease course. 

Apparently the New England Journal of Medicine is too "anecdotal" for this person. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009787

• Like 2

Just now, ColeThornton said:

Chinese Corona Virus?

I was thinking that, and if that's what the poster I quoted means with that abbreviation it tells me all I need to know about them...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Joan18 said:

I don’t think so either. Huge message when they lay-off a large amount of their corporate staff. Dumped cruise stocks. 

Silly move seeing it has made huge gains over the last few sessions  A mere 34% increase.

2 hours ago, boatseller said:

40% of new cases in New York are people obeying the Stay at Home Order.  Clearly staying at home is very risky, will you ask them to sign the same waiver?

65.21% of people quoting statistics are making them up as they go along!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

OMG...I've learned some good things by reading this thread.  Thanks to those who have posted informative links and provided food for thought. (That's sincere.)  But can I just say, the horse is dead, guys!

Honestly, I don't know why I keep using the internet right now. 🙂 I come here (to CC specifically) to see what people's mood is about the industry, what news there might be of ships and crew, new technologies to help keep people safe, etc ... but then I just get myself aggravated by being reminded that a lot of people still genuinely believe this is a hoax, that it's no big deal, that those numbers are just numbers and not TENS of THOUSANDS of dead Americans ... then I argue briefly, give up and go eat some cookie dough and take a xanax. 🙂

Edited by AdoraBelle
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, MoCruiseFan said:

65.21% of people quoting statistics are making them up as they go along!

You just made me laugh out loud...anyone who has ever written a dissertation would know you are quite right...although I'm not admitting to anything.  😉

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

But can I just say, the horse is dead, guys!

yeah, but it took a hell of a beating!

So many dead horses has been abused after its death the beginning of the internet  And with so many necromancers around, they keep getting tormented 🥺

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

then I argue briefly, give up and go eat some cookie dough and take a xanax. 🙂

Love it!  I've resorted to chocolate chips...minus the dough because I've convinced myself it's healthier...and a double pour of wine.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

Was that 40% stat derived just from the NYC Metro area or was it all of New York State?  You know, the green part of the state where half of the population lives.

I believe the most recent number is currently 66%, actually. That data Was derived on a poll of 100 hospitals and 1000 patients, most of whom were minorities. I believe there are only about 70 hospitals in NYC (unless immediate health care was included in stats). Came from one of Cuomos updates and it was my understanding he was speaking of metro, where the vast majority of cases are. But, I know not for certain if that was the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I was thinking that, and if that's what the poster I quoted means with that abbreviation it tells me all I need to know about them...

I know, right. You wonder why they'd say that given that Governor Cuomo identified to as the European Virus?

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I know, right. You wonder why they'd say that given that Governor Cuomo identified to as the European Virus?

Cuomo has never once referred to COVID-19 as the "European Virus." He uses the same terminology that that doctors and scientists do - like any responsible public official or "leader" should.