Four Days and Full Refund!

Cancelled our planned Mediterranean cruise on May 16, the day that Final was due. Got a full refund ( credit to Amex) yesterday. It was for initial deposit for a suite and a drinks upgrade for a total of 2K. I was told by the rep it would take 90 days so this was a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2

Congrats to you for getting such a quick response.  However, I *suspect* that it may be primarily due to the fact that it was only for the amount of a deposit and not "full fare" refund as many are waiting on.  My opinion: taking care of the "small amounts" first helps to reduce the number of people they are having to deal with.  Just my 2 cents worth!

• Like 4

Deposits prior to final payments - regardless of whether or not it is full payment - are something the cruise lines IT systems are prepared to handle and are part of their regular, automated system.  I just had a cruise cancelled by NCL but prior to final payment and my deposit was refunded in just a few days, although it took several days for it to appear in my cc account.  Once final payment date is passed, the "system" expects to assign penalties and would have to be overridden, checked to see if FCC was used and so on.  And I don't doubt that they are waiting - read somewhere that may need to not pay on their debts for 90 days because of the financing deals.  Deposits vs payments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Congrats to you for getting such a quick response.  However, I *suspect* that it may be primarily due to the fact that it was only for the amount of a deposit and not "full fare" refund as many are waiting on.  My opinion: taking care of the "small amounts" first helps to reduce the number of people they are having to deal with.  Just my 2 cents worth!

I am hoping this is true, we needed to cancel a sailing due to logistic conflicts.  We are just waiting on the deposit and wifi upgrade charge.  Cancelled yesterday.

On May 5, we cancelled an October cruise.  Two Cruise Next certs that we'd applied to the sailing were restored to my Latitudes account almost immediately, but we still haven't received a refund of our monetary deposit.  Since reading this thread, I've asked my PCC to look into the status of the refund.   

I canceled our October cruise on May 6,  before the final payment date. We had already paid in full. I received a full refund (minus our shore excursion) today, May 21. I'll guess I'll have to wait and see about the shore excursion.

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Likewise here .... those who cancel before final due date at 120 days out get their refunds a whole lot quicker .... I cancelled my August cruise back in March and got my refund .....

get this , the charge back i did because i was missing all my fcc and no person could help at ncl that i called, well it did show up 14 days later in our accounts. however i called today to ask about the status, and i was told 90 days due to covid by my bank,.  lol so basically ncl told them 90 days and they are going with that.,  smh.,  may just stop it since i now have the fcc;s but wow  

On 5/21/2020 at 2:57 PM, Turtles06 said:

On May 5, we cancelled an October cruise.  Two Cruise Next certs that we'd applied to the sailing were restored to my Latitudes account almost immediately, but we still haven't received a refund of our monetary deposit.  Since reading this thread, I've asked my PCC to look into the status of the refund.   

Update:  the full refund for our deposit on the October cruise we cancelled on May 5 showed up in my credit card account today (May 23), with a posting date of May 20.   🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cancelled November Epic transatlantic on 3-8, we had been paying monthly toward it for over a year, still had about $1K to pay. Got back every penny including the insurance today credited to our Visa card, so less than two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, Turtles06 said:

Would you please share the method you used to cancel?  ( Our final payment date is in 1 week) We have decided to cancel our September cruise & I cannot find how on the website.  The NCL agent I booked with is no longer there & no 'Chat' agents are available.  I'm trying to avoid being on hold on the phone for some lengthy time & even then, having to do this verbally.  I'd like to have a paper trail & not get choked up on the phone with a stranger.  Thanks so much.

59 minutes ago, krisdamom said:

Would you please share the method you used to cancel?  ( Our final payment date is in 1 week) We have decided to cancel our September cruise & I cannot find how on the website.  The NCL agent I booked with is no longer there & no 'Chat' agents are available.  I'm trying to avoid being on hold on the phone for some lengthy time & even then, having to do this verbally.  I'd like to have a paper trail & not get choked up on the phone with a stranger.  Thanks so much.

I have a PCC and simply emailed him.  

You definitely want to do this in writing and have a paper trail.  When you refer to the "NCL agent" you booked with no longer being there, do you mean a PCC?  If that person is gone, has no one else been assigned to you?  What happens when you call or email that person, are you not automatically given another person's name?  Try to get through to another PCC.

Even if you wind up having to call someone, you'll want to get that person's email address and email your cancellation instructions, and have them email you back an invoice showing the cruise has been cancelled. 

Good luck, and don't wait!

" When you refer to the "NCL agent" you booked with no longer being there, do you mean a PCC?  If that person is gone, has no one else been assigned to you?"  That would be Yes, & No.

I think I will try the last email I have & see if I hear back by T48 hours. I always takes at least that long to get a response.  If not, I will 'steel' myself for the call. 

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. :-) 

I made an error on the date above, we cancelled May 8 and were refunded today, May 23. I sent an email to our PCC to cancel, no response, so called and left a message the next day, got an email almost immediately confirming the cancellation.

But then, within a few hours, got an email confirming an open reservation. I emailed the PCC again and got a response “sorry about that, a system glitch.” I got another cancellation email.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cancelled our October cruise on May 5 before final payment. Today I notice two credits from NCL on our Amex account one for $400 and one for $210....are they doing the refunds little by little and not a lump sum? 

We should be getting a total of $1810 refunded.

Has anyone else had their refund done in this way?