Hawaii No cruises any time soon

zqvol

16 minutes ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Wanted to update everyone here with our article. The economist said that it was an assumption for their model, and not a government policy. Also statement from NCL: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5371/

Thanks for posting that.

I am glad they cleared that up.

Steve

On 5/28/2020 at 10:25 AM, datolim said:

If POA don't sail early 2021 we may not have POA or any cruise industry anymore.

I'm thinking the same thing.  I can't imagine that the proper steps wouldn't be taken to make that cruise safe, and to allow Hawaii to recoup some of its large tourist income that they're now missing.

40 minutes ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Wanted to update everyone here with our article. The economist said that it was an assumption for their model, and not a government policy. Also statement from NCL: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5371/

Thank You for your posting.

If I may comment on the article now,

the assumption was based on two factors: "(1) the projected COVID-19 pandemic will finish by the end of 2020 worldwide; (2) people are reluctant to travel via cruise for a few months after the ending of the pandemic.

I know as stated it is not government policy. But the assumptions made have certain weaknesses. 1) Nobody can predict when the pandemic will be finished. You must mean when a vaccine will be available and hence the virus will be ineffective. 2) People, cruisers are a die hard bunch and will get on the cruise ship whenever it is ready.

My only other comment is if the cruise industry players don't sail in early 2012 there may not be any cruise industry left.

8 minutes ago, Bocadude85 said:

We are working on opening the state back up to tourists, one idea being discussed is requiring visitors to provide a negative COVID-19 test result prior to boarding a flight to Hawaii. 

And then require a negative COVID-19 before boarding a plane for the mainland.

Given the current predictive accuracy and reliability / margins for errors in false positive and false negative results, among the wide range of screening tests offered - using them as a screening tool (in conjunction with/out using a combo of IR temperature scanning, review of recent travel history and health questionnaire, etc.) is not going to be adequate and fool-proof, especially with asymptomatic carriers (which some studies claimed to be among the worst in shredding the viral loads, as super spreaders) 

Not in favor of doing little and next to nothing about it ... read this article about international air travelers - https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/05/28/international-travel-coronavirus-precautions/ 

We have extended family in Hawaii, they live & work there.  There is no question their economy is heavily dependent on global tourism.  It's a no win situation.  

We officially said good-bye to our Hawaii cruise today. It had been cancelled twice by NCL (once for dry dock and once for the virus), and then moved once by us after we rebooked. Admittedly, once celebrating our 60th birthdays in Kona was off the table a lot of the excitement was gone, but I’m also not comfortable with the rumblings about restricting visitors well into 2021. Maybe we’ll try again for our 65th birthdays!

On the bright side, we used our FCC for a 12-night to Spain, France, Portugal, and Italy in an aft suite with over 2200.00 left over![emoji3]

This will be the first year since (I think) 2002 that we won’t cruise.[emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 1:55 AM, mking8288 said:

We have extended family in Hawaii, they live & work there.  There is no question their economy is heavily dependent on global tourism.  It's a no win situation.  

Depends on what you consider a win. Closing it boarders has help Hawaii remain relatively virus free. There have been 651 total cases in Hawaii (a handful of those coming from the POA long after cruises were shut down). Right now, my community has 651 cases every 2 days (because people refuse to help stop the spread of the disease). While not popular or sustainable, Governor Ige has kept the people of Hawaii safe.