July and August dates gone from Viking site

t18c97

The July and August sailing are now gone from the Viking river site. Plus if I try to view my reservation on My Viking Journey it says my reservation is locked. I called Viking and asked what’s happening but the rep didn’t know but she did say she doesn’t know about those dates being cancelled.

Yes, I noticed that as well.  However, travelers can still book the Douro River cruises for August 2020 onward.  I read  recently that Portugal is opening tourism earlier than other European countries.

Our government continues to advise against out of country travel; some Canadian provinces are also asking Canadians to stay in their own province at this time. Canada's western and eastern provinces are showing encouraging signs of managing the spread of COVID-19 while Quebec and Ontario are still facing challenges. So despite Portugal opening up to visitors sadly we won't be traveling this year.

I have not been able to access my reservation since Friday (5/22/2020).  When I called it was because of a "Software Upgrade" and would be back working Tuesday (5/26/2020).  After seeing that the July and August cruises are greyed out on the website, and still not being able to access my reservation, I called last night and was told that nobody knows anything and that the reason you cant book July and August cruises is because they are all sold out.  Hmmm.  They did say that they hoped that the Powers That Be would be making a decision by the end of the month.  Translation nobody is going anywhere in July and August.  While this is all new and Covid has turned everyone's life upside down,  I agree with NavyCruiser, they really have dropped the ball on keeping those of us with reservations (in my case July 5th) in the loop.  Baked Apple, if you look at the Douro Cruise available in August, the only one available departs Aug 30th, leading me to believe that Viking is planning on a September restart.     

We are also supposed to be on July 5 cruise (Danube) and are waiting for Viking to cancel.  We've already decided we will not go this year but our TA advised us to wait for them to cancel, rather than us.  

I checked the website I think on Monday or Tuesday and July cruises for this year were definitely not sold out. There was still availability, possibly because some have already cancelled.  Now the booking is locked.  I hope we hear something this week.

1 hour ago, BooBoo2 said:

Blaked Apple, if you look at the Douro Cruise available in August, the only one available departs Aug 30th, leading me to believe that Viking is planning on a September restart.     

Good point. Douro cruises begin on land, so the actual cruise starts in September.

"Baked Apple, if you look at the Douro Cruise available in August, the only one available departs Aug 30th, leading me to believe that Viking is planning on a September restart" 

You are absolutely correct and I totally missed it. Thanks for picking up on it. 🙂

Have a July Amsterdam - Budapest sailing I've been waiting for them to cancel.  Only other reason I can see for July - August blackout is Viking anticipates being forced to sail at reduced occupancy and has frozen bookings while they figure things out.

• Like 1

Agree that  Viking maybe wanted to freeze anymore new bookings for social distancing purposes with having much fewer than max 190 passengers.

However, they could just have their sites to stop allowing new bookings for those months & not showing that our Nov 2021 sailing fully functional on the site, & our July 2020 showing: "Your booking is currently locked for updates. Please try again later."

That just freaks us out...

I remember the feeling in March for my (ocean) cruise to cancel that was in April. I pulled the trigger early but at that time, I just couldn't trust the cruise line to do the right thing. Viking will cancel and it is a waiting game.

It is hard to wait. Now I am waiting for my refund...

Yep.  Just got the cancellation email.

I've copied a portion:

Further suspension through August 31

We were the first cruise line to announce a temporary suspension of operations. We have continued to evaluate the situation, responding accordingly. While restrictions related to COVID-19 are beginning to ease in some countries, travel remains complicated.  Therefore, we have made the decision to extend our temporary suspension of operations through August 31, 2020.

A Future Cruise Voucher for 125%

As a guest whose cruise falls within the extended window of suspended operations, we want to support you and protect your travel investment. Therefore, we are offering a 125% Future Cruise Voucher, found at the bottom of this message. This voucher includes 100% of the monies paid to Viking, plus an additional 25% value. The added value provides an opportunity to enhance your trip – by choosing a longer itinerary; adding a Pre/Post cruise extension; upgrading your stateroom category; or even upgrading to business class air. Additionally, any vouchers you may have applied to this booking have automatically been reinstated, are valid for 24 months and are available for your immediate use.

To ensure you have the time and flexibility to plan for your next trip, the 125% Future Cruise Voucher has exclusive and enhanced terms. It is fully transferable, allowing you to gift it to someone with whom you would like to share the joys of travel. It can be applied within the next 24 months to any river, ocean or expedition cruise. If you are unable to use your voucher by the expiration date, simply return your expired voucher to Viking, and we will send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking.

As a reminder, if you use your voucher and rebook your cruise – with Viking or your Travel Advisor – by June 30, our Risk Free Guarantee is applicable to your booking. This means you can change your plans up to 24 hours prior to departure, giving you the peace of mind and the flexibility you need to make the best decision for you. 

Alternatively, if you prefer a refund over the added-value voucher, please request one before June 12, 2020.  Details can be found here.  

Emailed my ta this morning to clarify options on now-cancelled July Grand European sailing.  Especially wanted to know what happens with Tripmate insurance.  She called back within an hour and had Viking rep on her other line.  They refunded EVERYTHING, including cruise fare, Air+ fee and travel insurance.  Love Viking and would have liked to take voucher but with $21k on the line and uncertainties over virus and Viking financial situation opted for cash.  They cautioned it will take 60 - 90 days for credit to be processed.  Compared to difficulties I'm hearing about lack of responsiveness from other lines VR is a class operation.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, t18c97 said:

The July and August sailing are now gone from the Viking river site.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:13 AM, BooBoo2 said:

I have not been able to access my reservation

On 5/28/2020 at 2:06 PM, NavyCruiser said:

"Your booking is currently locked for updates. Please try again later."

Now we know what the warning signs are of impending cancellations. Having gone through now two rounds of additional cancellations, we know what to look for.

Lock out came first -- and lasted for quite a while for some people, while others were still able to access their reservations up  -- for a few more days, anyhow. When you see this, it is time to start watching the main website for the next warning sign.

Removal of cruises from the website seems to indicate an impending announcement. Time to watch your inbox for the official e-mail and Viking.TV for a new video from the chairman.

Note, Viking announced on May 18 that it was working on upgrading MVJ, which could have explained the lock out. The difference is that when they upgrade you, you can't access any of your reservations while prior to cancellation only the reservation to be cancelled is effected.

Also note that the Viking reps only know what they are told and they are not informed about cancellations in advance. They aren't lying to us; they are telling us only what they know and are allowed to say.

This is interesting.  We are booked in Nov. of 2020 on the Romantic Danube and everything is fine on MVJ.  However, we are also booked Nov.2021 on the Danube Waltz-Viking Prestige--the booking is now locked.  I wonder what that means---------

On 5/28/2020 at 9:13 AM, BooBoo2 said:

I have not been able to access my reservation since Friday (5/22/2020).  When I called it was because of a "Software Upgrade" and would be back working Tuesday (5/26/2020).  After seeing that the July and August cruises are greyed out on the website, and still not being able to access my reservation, I called last night and was told that nobody knows anything and that the reason you cant book July and August cruises is because they are all sold out.  Hmmm.  They did say that they hoped that the Powers That Be would be making a decision by the end of the month.  Translation nobody is going anywhere in July and August.  While this is all new and Covid has turned everyone's life upside down,  I agree with NavyCruiser, they really have dropped the ball on keeping those of us with reservations (in my case July 5th) in the loop.  Baked Apple, if you look at the Douro Cruise available in August, the only one available departs Aug 30th, leading me to believe that Viking is planning on a September restart.     

Viking always leaves the site open for every cruise even if it’s sold out. If it still grayed out I’m sure it’s cancelled. We are supposed to Ben on France’s Finest River Sept 7. We will see.