What will happen to the Cherry on Top, candy stores?

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

When I went on a Royal cruise in March, crew members worked the self service ice cream machines.  Maybe Carnival will do that too.  I think there would be a revolt if they did away with it altogether.  haha

Yea that's what I think but rcl has a lot fewer ice cream machines and fewer hours. 

But I cant see them allowing everyone to do their own at this pt. Carnival had a ice cream machine open all night, 24/7. The new cruising will be different. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yea that's what I think but rcl has a lot fewer ice cream machines and fewer hours. 

But I cant see them allowing everyone to do their own at this pt. Carnival had a ice cream machine open all night, 24/7. The new cruising will be different. 

That is exactly what they do during a Noro outbreak and they turn off some machines

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I would much prefer to get my own ice cream.  They should just require people to use hand sanitizer before touching the machine.

What about the people that are allergic to most hand sanitizers?  I wash my hands regularly and do not rely on the hand sanitizer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

When I went on a Royal cruise in March, crew members worked the self service ice cream machines.  Maybe Carnival will do that too.  I think there would be a revolt if they did away with it altogether.  haha

Just before they stopped cruising, Carnival DID have staff man the self serve ice cream machine. I see that practice continuing, rather than eliminating the machine.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that Cherry on Top generates enough revenue per square foot that they find it worth continuing to operate them. It always seems pretty empty. But maybe that's because I don't normally cruise when kids are out of school.

If it actually doesn't generate that much revenue, maybe they'll just leave it closed for the moment.

6 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

What about the people that are allergic to most hand sanitizers?  I wash my hands regularly and do not rely on the hand sanitizer.

That's a good point.  On Harmony of the Seas, they had sinks right by the ice cream machines.  They will probably have crew members serving it and will close the machines overnight for awhile.  

6 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I'm surprised that Cherry on Top generates enough revenue per square foot that they find it worth continuing to operate them. It always seems pretty empty. But maybe that's because I don't normally cruise when kids are out of school.

If it actually doesn't generate that much revenue, maybe they'll just leave it closed for the moment.

I don't think they need to close it.  Many of the items they already sell are packaged.  It's only the bins of bulk candy that need to change.

Edited by TNcruising02

On 5/28/2020 at 7:33 PM, trummy said:

I don't get it. If I wanted candy, I would just bring it and pay reasonable prices.

I don't get it either.  But, then again I don't get paying extra for any food on a cruise.

As far as Cherry-On-Top...as long as there's a market, there will be a Cherry-On-Top.  Probably someone will scoop the candy and probably they'll raise the price.

24 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

Lol

I know my comment sounds a bit weird, but when I was on Harmony of the Seas they had crew members serve it.  A crew member took off his hat, used his glove hands to slick back his hair and mess with it, then put his hat back on.  He went on to touch the cones.  It just grossed me out because when I get the ice cream myself, I have a clean hand holding the cone.  I am probably a bit pickier than a lot of people but his hand was all over his hair.  But I know that self service will no longer exist, at least not for a long time.

Edited by TNcruising02

On 5/28/2020 at 7:33 PM, trummy said:

I don't get it. If I wanted candy, I would just bring it and pay reasonable prices.

It is a novelty probably to buy candy on a cruise ship besides kids do not need more candy they are wound up enough as it is by just being a vacation. I went in cherry on top once that is because I had a coupon. I don't eat candy very much.  

Edited by shipbound2