What will happen to the Cherry on Top, candy stores?

I personally am not a fan because of how over priced the candy is. I'm sure they will allow like 1 person in at a time with the employee and have the employee get the items using tongs or have a menu and have an employee go in the store alone and get the stuff that the people want. That's the only hands free way that I can think of.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

The Carnival colored gummy worms would get gummed up in the dispenser shoot 🙂 

The workaround for that is to package them in 6 pieces per little package. Kids love gummy worms, and they'd sell millions of them. This goes along with what Greg said.  :classic_wink:

• Like 1

I was on the Panorama the last cruise before shutdown. The workers in the candy shop would get the candy for you similar to the buffets and ice cream. Not sure if that is feasible in the future but is how they were handling it.

• Like 2

They will either go to prepackaged items only or revamp the store and have staff portion candy for the customer. Grocery stores in my area discontinues all bulk isles and pre-package everything with no plans to bring self serve back.  They have also eliminated the salad bars and buffets at Wegman's grocery stores. 

I was never a fan of self serve items.  I've have seen many customers not using the tongs provided.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acheavacci said:

They will either go to prepackaged items only or revamp the store and have staff portion candy for the customer. Grocery stores in my area discontinues all bulk isles and pre-package everything with no plans to bring self serve back.  They have also eliminated the salad bars and buffets at Wegman's grocery stores. 

I was never a fan of self serve items.  I've have seen many customers not using the tongs provided.  

No employees are fond of the bulk candy sales since  folks after they bag it, weigh it and see the cost, walk away from the sale and tell them to "put it back" .  As one Jelly Belly sales person said, "that's why they are $17 a pound"

15 hours ago, trummy said:

I don't get it. If I wanted candy, I would just bring it and pay reasonable prices.

We bring our own, as well, but on our last cruise in February when we sailed with our daughter and her family, we bought our grandchildren candy in there. It was a treat they looked forward to every night, so it does have a customer base.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

We received a $5 gift card to the candy store from Carnival. We ended up spending $14.  I can see how parents would let their kids go into the candy store and have some fun choosing candy.  It's a vacation.

Yes, it is very expensive. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of having the candy store on board as I may under-estimate my need for chocolate while on the cruise and brought too little with me.   Y'all can have your Cheers packages, I'd gladly pay for a Chocolate-All-Day-Long package!   HaHa.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, trummy said:

I don't get it. If I wanted candy, I would just bring it and pay reasonable prices.

I don't like bringing a bunch of crap with me. If I want something,  I don't mind spending a little extra for the convenience. 

• Like 4

On 5/28/2020 at 7:33 PM, trummy said:

This could be said for just about anything not included in the base cruise fare (including alcohol if you were so inclined to smuggle it aboard)

Bulk candy stores are fun - you can mix and match to your hearts delight (which is why we do not buy the prepackaged items)

My 10 YO daughter loves going to Cherry On Top - she especially enjoys the gummi funnels, which can not be found shoreside 

• Like 2

A store i go to has bulk candy. Now someone prepackaged it into small bags labelled. She wears gloves and a mask. We arent allowed to scoop ourselves any more.

Heck I can think of lots of things like this. What about soft serve ice cream, can we do that? I love the strawberry, or get our own drinks in the buffet etc. 

I doubt this will be only change

22 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I would much prefer to get my own ice cream.  They should just require people to use hand sanitizer before touching the machine.

It wouldnt surprise me if its shut down. They arent going to allow self serve ice cream, at least early on. But what do I know.. but I expect changes.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

It wouldnt surprise me if its shut down. They arent going to allow self serve ice cream, at least early on. But what do I know.. but I expect changes.

When I went on a Royal cruise in March, crew members worked the self service ice cream machines.  Maybe Carnival will do that too.  I think there would be a revolt if they did away with it altogether.  haha

Edited by TNcruising02