LaGuardia or JFK

Traveling Mike

I need to book a flight for my Trans-Atlantic cruise leaving from New York.  I found the flights but have to decide to fly into LaGuardia Airport or JFK.  Both flights are the same price, same flight times and same landing times.  I land around 5:15 pm and my hotel is near Times Square.  What airport would you recommend?

42 minutes ago, MikeAndNick said:

I need to book a flight for my Trans-Atlantic cruise leaving from New York.  I found the flights but have to decide to fly into LaGuardia Airport or JFK.  Both flights are the same price, same flight times and same landing times.  I land around 5:15 pm and my hotel is near Times Square.  What airport would you recommend?

It really doesn't matter. Taxi or car service fare will be a bit cheaper from LGA, but you have to contend with the major construction project going on at LGA, so I might spend the extra $10 or $15 and fly into JFK just to avoid the construction. 

Nothing like afternoon rush hour traffic to start off your NYC stay.

I would concur that JFK would be my choice.  The extra distance and slight extra cost would be a small price to avoid the giant mess that is LGA.

As a local I have actively avoided LGA for the last couple of years but this year have used it maybe half a dozen times and it's worked perfectly well (on a mix of Delta and AA). I've used the new concourses and they're bright and really not very LGA at all!

The rideshare options are a lot easier than they were, at least on AA where it's just a short walk to the new parking garage. (I had no waits for Black Cars on the Friday PMs and Monday AMs that I've arrived)

My primary objections are for the tiny gate areas in the older parts of the airport (not applicable on arrival) and the crappy lounges at LGA for both Delta and AA compared to JFK (again not applicable on arrival, necessarily).

From the west coast (assuming you are travelling from Fresno) you are guaranteed to connect flying into LGA, but not into JFK.

As for getting into Times Square (eek...nowhere else you can stay?) I'd give LGA the nod over JFK. 

I will defer to the local - not having flown into NYC this year, I was basing my opinion on the prior mess that is still ongoing in some areas.

If fgbd thinks this LGA is the way to go, I'll go with his opinion.

I flew into LGA a couple of times about a year ago.  At the time the ride share pick up spot was a shuttle ride away so I just opted to get a cab both times and did so with no line.  And no major construction delay leaving the airport.  That was a year ago, take it for what it's worth.

I too have flown into both a few times over the past year.   I don’t have any preference-   But I only use public transportation into Manhattan and between the two-  because I’m cheap 🤩.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I too have flown into both a few times over the past year.   I don’t have any preference-   But I only use public transportation into Manhattan and between the two-  because I’m cheap 🤩.   

LOL, you are not 'cheap' but a 'Budget Queen' there is a difference, to be sure!

bon voyage