VACCINE NEWS-Keep your fingers crossed...

boscobeans

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Now the WHO is saying that transmission of the disease by asymptomatic people is VERY rare.  More and more, time to get busy living.  They have already said it is not easily transmitted from surfaces...

Honestly, I have found the cure is much worse than the disease.  

Read the clarification today from the WHO.

Don't cherry pick. 

1) They did not say that it was not easily transmitted on surfaces, just that it wasn't the primary source (Duh)

2) They said that there WERE chances of asymptomatic transmission.

From Fox News

WHO official walks back statement that asymptomatic transmission is 'very rare'

Some modeling groups estimate about 40 percent of virus transmission may be due to asymptomatic people, she said. Van Kerkhove did not include that figure on Monday but wanted to make sure she included it in her clarification.

3) Transmission from pre-symptomatic people 2-3 days before symptoms have a much higher likelihood of transmission.  Do you want to determine who without symptoms is asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic.  I don't.  Neither show symptoms.  One is very possibly spreading the virus if mask free. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Don't cherry pick. 

1) They did not say that it was not easily transmitted on surfaces, just that it wasn't the primary source (Duh)

From Fox News

Some modeling groups estimate about 40 percent of virus transmission may be due to asymptomatic people, she said. Van Kerkhove did not include that figure on Monday but wanted to make sure she included it in her clarification.

3) Transmission from pre-symptomatic people 2-3 days before symptoms have a much higher likelihood of transmission.  Do you want to determine who without symptoms is asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic.  I don't.  Neither show symptoms.  One is very possibly spreading the virus if mask free. 

A CNN article:

The World Health Organization tried on Tuesday to clear up confusing comments about how often people can spread the coronavirus when they do not have symptoms.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/health/who-coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-bn/index.html

I just need to add a true story here. When I was a school principal we had the child of a local pediatrician enrolled. He had been exempted from mandatory vaccinations. When we had an outbreak of chicken pox, state statutes mandated that all unvaccinated children be kept home from school for a period of 10 days. Mom (the pediatrician) was appalled. She said she had no daycare for her son. But the best line she retorted was, "How did those kids get chicken pox anyway? Isn't there a vaccine for that?"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Don't cherry pick. 

From Fox News

40 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

A CNN article:

The World Health Organization tried on Tuesday to clear up confusing comments about how often people can spread the coronavirus when they do not have symptoms.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/health/who-coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-bn/index.html

For what it's worth, I read the full WHO document yesterday and tried to summarize it. It's actually a document on face mask use by different populations, but it includes a transmission discussion. There was a definite language and terminology issue dealing with asymptomatic individuals and differentiating them from "those who will develop symptoms". It's a long post, that I don't feel like repeating, in the "100 day" thread.

One comment they make in the guidance document that makes sense but I haven't seen elsewhere is that there may be very few individuals who are truly asymptomatic. They have mild disease, maybe a minor cough during allergy season, never progress to more significant disease, and never associate their symptoms with COVID19. Then they get a test, probably a rapid antibody test, and test positive for prior infection. WHO's document wouldn't classify them as asymptomatic (although I'm pretty sure the CDC would, and there's no realistic way to differentiate them). That, like trying to differentiate pre-symptomatic from asymptomatic, is a great academic question that currently has no practical application. It'll be a great PhD or more likely post-doc project for someone in 3-5 years... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sippican said:

I just need to add a true story here. When I was a school principal we had the child of a local pediatrician enrolled. He had been exempted from mandatory vaccinations. When we had an outbreak of chicken pox, state statutes mandated that all unvaccinated children be kept home from school for a period of 10 days. Mom (the pediatrician) was appalled. She said she had no daycare for her son. But the best line she retorted was, "How did those kids get chicken pox anyway? Isn't there a vaccine for that?"

You can’t fix stupid. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, boscobeans said:

I hope their health continues.

Where is polio found today?
Sadly type 1 Polio still remains at large — in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Once the virus that causes polio has infected a person, there is no treatment that will cure polio. Early diagnosis and supportive treatments such as bed rest, pain control, good nutrition, and physical therapy to prevent deformities from occurring over time can help reduce the long-term symptoms due to muscle loss.

I grew up in the days of the Iron Lung and the TV Telethons to raise money for Polio research. Too bad I got the First experimental large scale tests of the vaccine and my older sisters didn't. They contracted polio.

Later on in Life I served part of an internship at a hospital that still had a basement area full of old un-needed Iron Lungs.

In Belgium, Polio vaccination is obligatory for newborns. ( given at 1 and 2 Months) as parents, you have no choice, the infant WILL be vaccinated. Other vaccinations are voluntary but paid by the Social Security obviously, and 99.9 % of parents will follow the recommended vaccination scheme.  Covid19 vaccinations will most probably also be free or almost free in Belgium, as is Covid19 treatment. In all cases. That is why we are a Developed  Nation: we care for our citizens by giving everyone free healthcare and education. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, markeb said:

For what it's worth, I read the full WHO document yesterday and tried to summarize it. It's actually a document on face mask use by different populations, but it includes a transmission discussion. There was a definite language and terminology issue dealing with asymptomatic individuals and differentiating them from "those who will develop symptoms". It's a long post, that I don't feel like repeating, in the "100 day" thread.

One comment they make in the guidance document that makes sense but I haven't seen elsewhere is that there may be very few individuals who are truly asymptomatic. They have mild disease, maybe a minor cough during allergy season, never progress to more significant disease, and never associate their symptoms with COVID19. Then they get a test, probably a rapid antibody test, and test positive for prior infection. WHO's document wouldn't classify them as asymptomatic (although I'm pretty sure the CDC would, and there's no realistic way to differentiate them). That, like trying to differentiate pre-symptomatic from asymptomatic, is a great academic question that currently has no practical application. It'll be a great PhD or more likely post-doc project for someone in 3-5 years... 

I read a précis of that document on Medscape and had the same reaction because it was list right under an article discussing the 40% asymptomatic transmission! When I read the WHO article critically, the phrase “thank you Captain Obvious” came to mind!

She does make a good point I guess, it is very hard to separate truly asymptomatic from mild disease or pre-symptomatic patients.

The practical take home is have a thermometer and use it. Going into flu season, get a flu shot!!! Fewer people going to the physician, the better. Keep a symptom log, even if just in your head, and a running list of where you have been. Be sure your family has a plan for managing during quarantine, is there room for the sick person be separate? Have access to a pulse oximeter and learn how to use it properly- it’s simple. Stay safe out there.

• Like 2