VACCINE NEWS-Keep your fingers crossed...

boscobeans

2 minutes ago, lastchamp64 said:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm going to be honest here, just that right there mentioning Gates has me worried. I don't believe he has anything to do with this Covid virus or any of the conspiracy theories that he helped introduce it for financial gain or other reasons. But I've read a lot of his quotes, ideologies, visions and his past as well and I do have some trepidation moving forward. I'm not trying to get into any political debates, conspiracy theories and etc. Just saying I'm very cautious about the Gates Foundation. 

By just saying this you are getting into political debate.

Curious what trepidation you have about his "quotes, ideologies, visions and past?"

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

By just saying this you are getting into political debate.

Curious what trepidation you have about his "quotes, ideologies, visions and past?"

I disagree. I'm not saying he or his foundation is right or wrong or either side of the debate is right or wrong. I have not yet decided myself. I just have some trepidation. I like to think of it as critical thinking. I'm not one who can be told something without solid facts. Such as there is no doubt we all need water to survive or that the world is round. Right now this whole pandemic-vaccine thing is not a solid unison of opinion or fact in the medical field.  For what it's worth, I am not anti-vaccine. I have my vaccinations and I do receive the flu shot each year. I'm just not jumping into the covid vaccine thing head first when it's also being rushed. 

As for Gates past. My oldest brother worked for Microsoft in the early stages starting in 1978 with a total of under 20 employees while he was still in college. He knew Bill Gates and Paul Allen being that the company was so small. He moved with the company from New Mexico to Washington State (my brother still lives there) and worked with Microsoft for a total of 15 years before leaving for another opportunity. What he has told me ( granted, second hand) has caused me to be concerned of his past and his motives for the future. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lastchamp64 said:

As for Gates past. My oldest brother worked for Microsoft in the early stages starting in 1978 with a total of under 20 employees while he was still in college. He knew Bill Gates and Paul Allen being that the company was so small. He moved with the company from New Mexico to Washington State (my brother still lives there) and worked with Microsoft for a total of 15 years before leaving for another opportunity. What he has told me ( granted, second hand) has caused me to be concerned of his past and his motives for the future. 

That is a fair analysis.  I understand a little better your posture.

On 6/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, drakes2 said:

I'm in full agreement with you. I just spoke to a friend older than me who said she will not take the vaccine. 

Amazing that she knows nothing about whatever the vaccine might be, but she is not taking it...more for those of us who choose to take it.  Do not confuse me with facts, as my mind is already made up. 

11 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Amazing that she knows nothing about whatever the vaccine might be, but she is not taking it...more for those of us who choose to take it.  Do not confuse me with facts, as my mind is already made up. 

The anti-vaxxers are too busy drinking the Kool Aid to have time to even think about a stick in their arm.

But I do believe that once a vaccine has been tested, proven safe and widely available, I would not be the least bit surprised to see cruise lines--and countries--require vaccination for entry.  It will likely be the only way to prevent another round of the virus, save disappearance, which of course is possible.

• Like 2

Unless the vaccine is a legal requirement me and the wife will not receive it. Firmly against all vaccines and I’ve not had a day off sick in over 20 years. I may have had the virus already last February from skiing in a resort that was rife with the virus and the Austrians shut it down two weeks after we left. I caught a cough and sweats in the night for the week after we got back to the UK.

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

The anti-vaxxers are too busy drinking the Kool Aid to have time to even think about a stick in their arm.

But I do believe that once a vaccine has been tested, proven safe and widely available, I would not be the least bit surprised to see cruise lines--and countries--require vaccination for entry.  It will likely be the only way to prevent another round of the virus, save disappearance, which of course is possible.

It may well be many years before a "vaccine has been tested, proven safe and widely available."

Countries will be the ones requiring "proof" of vaccination, if ever available, just as many do today for yellow fever and malaria for people arriving from certain countries - WHO's "International Certificate of Vaccination of Prophylaxis."  For a Safari in Africa we had to update vaccinations, to include hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, cholera, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia and influenza.  Cost was just short if $500 total at the local country health center, which we gladly paid.  

Adding a COVID-19 vaccination to that list makes sense IF the vaccine is effective, internationally accepted and readily available.  There is no vaccine available against malaria, only a prophylaxis.  Eight-five (85) percent of children are not vaccinated against polio.  Gettin to a point where a COVID-19 vaccination is readily available, free (provided by government) to the recipient and given by local health organizations is a long way off.  Polio was first detected in the US in 1875, the global effort to eradicate polio started in 1988 and we still have not vaccinated everyone around the world.

Returning to cruising cannot be based solely on the availability of a vaccine.  New procedures and practices, on board and prior to embarkation, will be required.  Ship interior designs will need to change to enable any sense of on board activities, port visits and mixing with the passengers and crew.

17 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Firmly against all vaccines and I’ve not had a day off sick in over 20 years.

All vaccines?  You're pro-polio?  That fewer people die in childhood and live longer into adulthood is a direct result of public heath initiatives, including vaccination programs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

All vaccines?  You're pro-polio?  That fewer people die in childhood and live longer into adulthood is a direct result of public heath initiatives, including vaccination programs.

Yes. Both our kids didn’t get the polio vaccine.

1 hour ago, lastchamp64 said:

I disagree. I'm not saying he or his foundation is right or wrong or either side of the debate is right or wrong. I have not yet decided myself. I just have some trepidation. I like to think of it as critical thinking. I'm not one who can be told something without solid facts. Such as there is no doubt we all need water to survive or that the world is round. Right now this whole pandemic-vaccine thing is not a solid unison of opinion or fact in the medical field.  For what it's worth, I am not anti-vaccine. I have my vaccinations and I do receive the flu shot each year. I'm just not jumping into the covid vaccine thing head first when it's also being rushed. 

You say you "have some trepidation" about the Gates Foundation.  On what basis?  The Foundation and its partners have committed up to $125 million to respond to the pandemic.  Isn't that a positive development?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Agreed. Time will tell if the anti-vaxxers will fall prey to Darwinism.

I have the Galapagos planed for next May, so will see  if I survive from the vaccine, or just become a statistic...I want a chance, so if I need it to go, I will have it, along with the rest on the ship!

i keep reading articles on blood type and Covid, but nothing conclusive...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

I will also get the vaccine as soon as it is offered to essential workers.   I am so sorry for the children whose parents do not allow the, to get vaccines.    More sorry for the children and adults that have to come in contact with them.   Some children can’t get vaccines because they are fighting cancer.   The last thing they need is to catch a disease from the kids who could have had a vaccine.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

You say you "have some trepidation" about the Gates Foundation.  On what basis?  The Foundation and its partners have committed up to $125 million to respond to the pandemic.  Isn't that a positive development?

That is now over $250 million in funding solely by the Gates Foundation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

When it comes to cruising with Celebrity, they make the rules, so it is up to clients to do what is needed or not cruise.  

Not always.  In one instance, Alaska is requiring people to have a negative COVID-19 test for cruise passengers:  LINK

Edited by K.T.B.

47 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Not always.  In one instance, Alaska is requiring people to have a negative COVID-19 test for cruise passengers:  LINK

Yes, but Celebrity has to abide by those rules too, or I guess you cannot get off the ship.  Anyway, you know what I mean, as it is all about rules and regs!