CN Traveler: What to expect when cruise ships sail

WesW

While not a fan of that publication, much of what they say is in this article is obviously true as it has been stated in other articles and is covered in Regent's new protocols.  

I am a fan of CC's article (posted elsewhere) that speaks to the future of sanitation of the ships.  How great it would be to have a robot disinfect our suites!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The business model for cruising is not based on social distancing or reduced capacity. It's based on sailing full.

In my opinion, I don't think there are enough passengers willing to wear masks and cruise under these conditions to even make it worthwhile for the ships to sail. I can't see that enough people would be willing to spend $1000 per day to vacation under these restrictions.

Tom.

• Like 4

Tom, based on bookings for 2020, there are many of us that are more than willing to sail with the protocols.  After months of being at home with our normal lives disrupted, some of us want to get started with the "new normal'.

Based on the many articles regarding protocols for cruise ships, I feel that being onboard a Regent ship is safer than being out shopping or at restaurants where we live.  I assume that Regent will strictly enforce the protocols, unlike what is being done in most areas of the U.S.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Tom,  I assume that Regent will strictly enforce the protocols, unlike what is being done in most areas of the U.S.

Sincerely.......how can they "strictly enforce" this stuff?  Could the co-operative rule followers demand to get off the ship and go home at  company expense if it turns out to be impossible to enforce the protocols? It just takes one special (or entitled) customer to start the ball rolling. The Ts and Cs are going to have to be so complicated as to be unworkable.

46 minutes ago, LvnCruisin said:

Why should this be at Company Expense, if you don't follow the rules that's on you, pay your own way home.

I believe that you misread my post. I was asking the exact opposite. If the company is unable to enforce the rules, for whatever reason, could some rule compliant passengers request to disembark due to personal fear of this virus problem?

I believe those of us who want to sail as soon as possible will adhere to the rules. 
I also agree that if someone does not adhere to the rules of transit, off they go, paying their way home themselves. 

I think Regent should set these rules and stand up for them. ( not like pool chaise hogging). 
Those who wish not to cruise now, shouldn’t.
Please don’t come aboard and disregard rules. 
It’s up to each of us to decide. 

sheila

• Like 1

But What if........

Even with all these new proposed rules, what happens when the ship is 3-4 days into the voyage and someone turns up infected.

• Is everyone going to be put in "lock-down?'"
  • Is the next port going to allow docking, let alone shorex?
  • What happens to the people waiting at the dock for  the subsequent voyage?

Given what happened with the Princess Ship in Japan and others, what is going to be the public (or your) perception of cruising the next time a ship turn up infected?

J

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I believe those of us who want to sail as soon as possible will adhere to the rules. 
I also agree that if someone does not adhere to the rules of transit, off they go, paying their way home themselves. 

I think Regent should set these rules and stand up for them. ( not like pool chaise hogging). 

sheila

Thank you for stating what most of us should know instinctively.  

For posters that have questions that they need answered prior to cruising, I would check with your TA first (they can contact Regent for you).  However, it may be better to ask the questions when the resumption of cruising has been announced since some things may not as yet been finalized.   I am confident that finalized details will be given to Regent passengers that are booked on cruises - perhaps with their final documents.  Protocols on ships will change as protocols on land change so it may be impossible to tell someone what the protocols will be in March 2021 for example.

Sheila - you made your last post while I was posting ........ love what you said.

Jackie

• Like 1

Just now, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you for stating what most of us should know instinctively.  

For posters that have questions that they need answered prior to cruising, I would check with your TA first (they can contact Regent for you).  However, it may be better to ask the questions when the resumption of cruising has been announced since some things may not as yet been finalized.   I am confident that finalized details will be given to Regent passengers that are booked on cruises - perhaps with their final documents.  Protocols on ships will change as protocols on land change so it may be impossible to tell someone what the protocols will be in March 2021 for example.

Sheila - you made your last post while I was posting ........ love what you said.

Jackie

Agree!!

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Tom, based on bookings for 2020, there are many of us that are more than willing to sail with the protocols.  After months of being at home with our normal lives disrupted, some of us want to get started with the "new normal'.

Based on the many articles regarding protocols for cruise ships, I feel that being onboard a Regent ship is safer than being out shopping or at restaurants where we live.  I assume that Regent will strictly enforce the protocols, unlike what is being done in most areas of the U.S.

Jackie, I'm not doubting these protocals would improve safety and I don't think people who sail should disregard them. I'm just saying I don't feel enough passengers would be willing to tolerate the inconvenience of masks and social distancing to make cruising viable in this "new normal." A ship can't sail at 30% capacity.

Yes, these protocals are the same as we experience now in everyday life. But wearing a mask to go to the store for an hour is much different that wearing one on a cruise. It's a choice I, personally, would not want to make.

And even though cruises may show full bookings now, that does not mean all those passengers would be willing to sail once they are informed of the restrictions.

Tom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, giustot said:

The business model for cruising is not based on social distancing or reduced capacity. It's based on sailing full.

In my opinion, I don't think there are enough passengers willing to wear masks and cruise under these conditions to even make it worthwhile for the ships to sail. I can't see that enough people would be willing to spend $1000 per day to vacation under these restrictions.

Tom.

Won't you being the same thing going on a land vacation?  Staying at a great hotel?  I'll be wearing my mask for a while, land or a cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Won't you being the same thing going on a land vacation?  Staying at a great hotel?  I'll be wearing my mask for a while, land or a cruise.

First of all sorry I misspelled protocols.

I don't have any land vacations booked now either. But I would also not take one where masks and social distancing were required. Where I live in northeast Florida you can stay at a hotel or dine in a restaurant or go to the beach without wearing a mask.

5 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Good point!  When I look at places where masks are not required for restaurants (Florida for instance), the cases of coronavirus are increasing quite dramatically.  It was a big story on the news today.

Speaking of today, this is the first day that I could get my hair and nails done (masks required).  I wore one of my masks for a longer period of time than I have in the past.  It really wasn’t as bad as I thought that it would be.  We are willing to wear masks and do social distancing for as long as is necessary and prefer to not be around people that are not wearing them.  Our health and the health of the people around us is so important.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

Sorry I had to work yesterday,  but Bellaggio Cruiser answered this exactly as I would have. You can what if this to death, frankly this is a Regent Cruise not a Princess Cruise. We pay up for a reason. We will be on our 8th cruise in December with Regent, I've only been on one other cruise (river cruise which I hated) and will never sail on another line.

• Like 1