NCL's new protocols incl. temp checks returning to ship at ports of call....if you test hot, then what?

karen3637

14 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Because you can have the disease for up to two weeks before showing symptoms.  

It is only up to 4-5 days until you show symptoms. It takes 2-3 weeks until the virus is gone,but the first symptoms do show already after 4-5 days.

SO it is much more important to make sure that nobody is infected when all passengers embark the ship in origin port. Cause if at start of the cruise there are already infected people on board then it is already too late.

4 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

It is only up to 4-5 days until you show symptoms. It takes 2-3 weeks until the virus is gone,but the first symptoms do show already after 4-5 days.

This is from the Harvard Medical School COVID-19 website:

How long is it between when a person is exposed to the virus and when they start showing symptoms?

Recently published research found that on average, the time from exposure to symptom onset (known as the incubation period) is about five to six days. However, studies have shown that symptoms could appear as soon as three days after exposure to as long as 13 days later. 

Edited by FLAHAM

Just because one feels hot does not mean their temperature has gone up.  Think about it.  A common symptom of fever is chills, not feeling warm.  Hot flashes do not raise your temperature.  Hot weather, standing in line in the sun, walking, exercise, etc., does not raise your temperature to over 100, unless you have heat stroke.  If our temperature regulation was that fickle we would be reptiles, not humans.  If your temp is over 100, there is generally a medical reason for that.  It could be a mild infection that you don't even realize your body is fighting, or something worse.  Unfortunately fever with Covid-19 is not something everyone gets and when they do, its usually after they have been spreading the virus, since people are infectious for about two days before any symptoms appear.  So while the temp checks may catch some infections, its really too late to do a whole heck of a lot.  It's kinda like taking your shoes off at the airport ; (

Edited by gizfish
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gizfish said:

So while the temp checks may catch some infections, its really too late to do a whole heck of a lot.  It's kinda like taking your shoes off at the airport ; (

Anyone think they will invent some sort of fast pass (for a fee of course!) for those who feel the need to bypass whatever checks they put in place!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, julig22 said:

Anyone think they will invent some sort of fast pass (for a fee of course!) for those who feel the need to bypass whatever checks they put in place!

cruise lines already have the fast pass. For NCL, it is called Priority Access, Carnival has Faster to the Fun, Royal has The Key, etc, etc

3 hours ago, cruiseagona said:

Take 2 Tylenol about 30 minutes or so before and your temperature should be fine.

IF you mean this to board a ship IF ill...please let everyone here know when you are sailing so we can avoid a possible "carrier". 

• Like 4

Knowingly take measures to disguise that one isn't well, i.e. OTC meds to reduce body temperature might work or not work, foolish - IMHO - and put one's own life at risk as well as endangering the lives of others.  For the long haul, might not be worth it ... like the former JetBlue flyer, ban and no longer able to fly that carrier anywhere.  

"... put our crewmembers, customers, and federal and local officials in an unsettling situation that ... this customer will not be permitted to fly on JetBlue in the future,"   that passenger tested positive for Covid-19, flew from JFK to PBI (West Palm Beach) as reported by CNN & other news on March 13, 2020 

Is it worth it - that's on the individual ?  Should the cruise line find out, well ... 

As for the buying one's way with a Fast Pass to skip or byass the mandatory health/medical screening, I wonder what health officials around the world and WHO think?  How about just giving everyone sailing in Haven a free pass instead, LOL ...  Honor systems worked, right - trust them.  Just my two cents, FWIW. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

I don't know what they are going to do or how they will enforce this.  I often run a temperature when I have a bad cold, or sinus infection.  Would I be turned away at the pier because of a fever?  What if I had a covid-19 test and could show I was negative?  I have to think there are many people who board a ship when they are ill but from some minor thing.  Not to mention that not everyone with corona virus runs a fever.

And, so you know when I have a cold I'm super vigilant as far as wiping off any surface I touch as I don't want to infect anyone else.  But I guess the question is, should everyone showing any signs of an illness be barred from sailing?

If so, that may be difficult with northeast sailings during the winter (cold and flu season).

Just another thing for them to figure out.

Edited by goldmom

5 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I don't know what they are going to do or how they will enforce this.  I often run a temperature when I have a bad cold, or sinus infection.  Would I be turned away at the pier because of a fever?  What if I had a covid-19 test and could show I was negative?  I have to think there are many people who board a ship when they are ill but from some minor thing.

And, so you know when I have a cold I'm super vigilant as far as wiping off any surface I touch as I don't want to infect anyone else.  But I guess the question is, should everyone showing any signs of an illness be barred from sailing?

If so, that may be difficult with northeast sailings during the winter (cold and flu season).

Just another thing for them to figure out.

You very well might be turned away if you have a fever at embarkation. I'm going to guess you almost certainly will.

A negative COVID-19 test only means you didn't have the disease at the time the test was taken,  so a test you took  a few days ago doesn't mean today's fever isn't due to COVID-19.

I'm not a doctor, but as I understand it a simple cold does not usually produce a fever of 100.4 or higher, which is why that number has been used as the cut off. There would have to be another type of infection present to hit that mark.

IMO, yes, anyone showing signs of an infectious disease should not be allowed to sail.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, shof515 said:

cruise lines already have the fast pass. For NCL, it is called Priority Access, Carnival has Faster to the Fun, Royal has The Key, etc, etc

Sorry you missed my point.  Priority access is not the same as totally bypassing a checkpoint.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You very well might be turned away if you have a fever at embarkation. I'm going to guess you almost certainly will.

A negative COVID-19 test only means you didn't have the disease at the time the test was taken,  so a test you took  a few days ago doesn't mean today's fever isn't due to COVID-19.

I'm not a doctor, but as I understand it a simple cold does not usually produce a fever of 100.4 or higher, which is why that number has been used as the cut off. There would have to be another type of infection present to hit that mark.

IMO, yes, anyone showing signs of an infectious disease should not be allowed to sail.

Well, hopefully the new procedures will make for a much healthier ship in many ways.  Will be watching to see how all of this shakes out.

14 hours ago, julig22 said:

Sorry you missed my point.  Priority access is not the same as totally bypassing a checkpoint.

I am sure that no matter how much you pay you will not be allowed to pass the health checkpoint without being checked properly. No cruise line will be so stupid to take the risk just for a few extra dollars.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2020 at 11:10 AM, mking8288 said:

As for the buying one's way with a Fast Pass to skip or byass the mandatory health/medical screening, I wonder what health officials around the world and WHO think?  How about just giving everyone sailing in Haven a free pass instead, LOL ...  Honor systems worked, right - trust them.  Just my two cents, FWIW. 

If it was free for Haven, there would be a 20% fee on the retail value of the perk, for your convenience, of course.

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 2:03 AM, shof515 said:

i am wondering the same thing. I get very hot while waiting in line to board the ship on the pier

Yes i'd be worried about that too

In nice sunny weather i get so warm

And me being a women of certain age i get hot flushes that can last more than a few minutes how would that work ?

On 6/12/2020 at 4:36 PM, jaja said:

IF you mean this to board a ship IF ill...please let everyone here know when you are sailing so we can avoid a possible "carrier". 

Good post but sadly it is going to be an issue

In the UK we can get over the counter some pretty strong versions of this tablet (paracetamol) which can reduce temperature quickly.  

What no one on this thread has said is this - If your cruise were to come to the UK you are not  getting off anyway and if you do you have 14 days quarantine. 

Covid is here we live with and the truth is no knows what will happen. All I know is the level of compliance in the UK with mask wearing is hopeless and unenforceable

12 hours ago, fandash said:

Yes i'd be worried about that too

In nice sunny weather i get so warm

And me being a women of certain age i get hot flushes that can last more than a few minutes how would that work ?

Scroll up to my previous post # 28.  These experiences do not cause human body temperatures to change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like most on this board, I am not an expert virologist.  However, I am an experienced Systems Engineer, so I am interested in compete processes, not just bits of it that undermine the whole system so I tend to look at the whole, not pick and mix bits and pieces of information.  Most of the discussion here has been about identifying who has the disease and making sure that stay off the ship.  Where this particular disease is so dangerous is much more to do with the point at which the virus is shed by someone incubating it even if they have no symptoms at all.

According to most science so far, it looks like virus shedding can start up to 4-5 days before any symptoms show up. Until we have some way to make absolutely sure that someone cannot spread the disease, we have to assume that everyone we meet is a risk to us!  One of the other worrying pointers is that science also tells us that the level of antibodies in anyone is a major factor in deciding whether having the antibodies means you are immune to it.  The danger is that the science apparently does not know if that is true or what the safe levels are if not.

There is no solution --- yet - just a measure of risk to you and others.  If you don't have it (not if you have no symptoms) and you can live life with the risk of catching it, then go ahead and do your thing.  However, you might just be in that dangerous infective period and others you meet may have issues that alter the level of risk to them.  So make sure you are not the one who transfers the disease to someone else who can't survive if they get it from you.  That level of uncertainty makes cruising totally dependent on science finding a way to effectively nullify this fiendishly effective disease in a number of ways.  It cannot really go ahead until the potential cruisers are confident that they will be safe.  Customer confidence is all powerful.

6 hours ago, old nutter said:

Like most on this board, I am not an expert virologist.  However, I am an experienced Systems Engineer, so I am interested in compete processes, not just bits of it that undermine the whole system so I tend to look at the whole, not pick and mix bits and pieces of information.  Most of the discussion here has been about identifying who has the disease and making sure that stay off the ship.  Where this particular disease is so dangerous is much more to do with the point at which the virus is shed by someone incubating it even if they have no symptoms at all.

According to most science so far, it looks like virus shedding can start up to 4-5 days before any symptoms show up. Until we have some way to make absolutely sure that someone cannot spread the disease, we have to assume that everyone we meet is a risk to us!  One of the other worrying pointers is that science also tells us that the level of antibodies in anyone is a major factor in deciding whether having the antibodies means you are immune to it.  The danger is that the science apparently does not know if that is true or what the safe levels are if not.

There is no solution --- yet - just a measure of risk to you and others.  If you don't have it (not if you have no symptoms) and you can live life with the risk of catching it, then go ahead and do your thing.  However, you might just be in that dangerous infective period and others you meet may have issues that alter the level of risk to them.  So make sure you are not the one who transfers the disease to someone else who can't survive if they get it from you.  That level of uncertainty makes cruising totally dependent on science finding a way to effectively nullify this fiendishly effective disease in a number of ways.  It cannot really go ahead until the potential cruisers are confident that they will be safe.  Customer confidence is all powerful.

Actually people are infectious about two days before the first symptoms appear.  But still, that does mean many people contract the virus from others who have no idea they have it.  Like I said previously, taking temps is doing too little too late. That being said, it is highly irresponsible to try to get over on the temp test by taking a fever reducer.  Unless one has a covid test, how on earth can they be sure their elevated temp is not due to covid.  Do people really think you are entitled to risk other people catching it from them just because they don't want to miss out on their precious cruise.  

On 6/12/2020 at 8:21 AM, cruiseagona said:

Take 2 Tylenol about 30 minutes or so before and your temperature should be fine.

Yup. If you read the news, that's what people were doing in countries which routinely were taking temperatures of those leaving their homes and entering public places. 

Now,,,, what do I take if I got sunburned at the beach?  Some Aloe?

1 hour ago, Smq123 said:

What about the people that naturally run a low grade fever? And that’s part of their everyday lives due to an underlying benign condition? 

The usual definition of a low grade fever is greater than 98.6 and  up to 100.4. That's why 100.4 is used as the threshold to identify potential illness.

https://www.healthline.com/health/persistent-low-grade-fever

"“Low-grade” means that the temperature is slightly elevated — between 98.7°F and 100.4°F (37.5°C and 38.3°C) — and lasts for more than 24 hours."

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/symptoms/10880-fever

"For adults, a fever is when your temperature is higher than 100.4°F."

Edited by njhorseman