Is Celebrity Giving Us A "Restart" Hint?

york survey

15 hours ago, ECCruise said:

That is absolutely true.

But it sure doesn't account for this:

12 states see rising Covid-19 hospitalizations as Arizona asks hospitals to activate emergency plans

Meanwhile in Puerto Rico the government decided to count the cases following CDC guidelines, and it looks like we have beat the virus.  After three months in lock down we have only 1,403 positive PCR tests, 56 deaths and less than a 100 patients hospitalized (7 in ICU and 4 using ventilators).

The governor announced yesterday that we will be open for international travel in the middle of July. Our curfew will be modified next week from 10 pm to 5 am (has been from 7 pm to 5 am these three months). The use of masks is required everywhere!  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dandee2 said:

With 4-5 day cruise, the chance of developping Covid after testing negative (or temperature test at embarkation) is very low IMO. I would not consider B2B cruise safe.

No B2B cruises?  Well that's not very encouraging.  You are implying that a cruise ship is not a safe place to be before a cruise.  Would the ship rotate the entire crew between each cruise? 

Edited by ipeeinthepool

7 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

...And we know you don’t even have to die of COVID-19 to be considered a COVID-19 death. We need to end this madness and get back to the old normal.

This unfortunately is correct about the deaths.

Friend of mine had pancreatic cancer.  He was given weeks to live last November, but was still alive in February.  He caught COVID at the hospital while undergoing chemotherapy.  He died in March.  His death was attributed to the virus.  (His doctor said he died of a heart attack brought on because of his weakened immune system from the chemo, but the coroner disagreed.)  His family fought, and won, to get his death attributed correctly.  Mainly because of insurance.

But that's just ONE instance.  However, that doesn't mean the death toll isn't 110,000+.  The death toll is no joke, nor is the virus.  We can't ignore it and hope it goes away.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

This unfortunately is correct about the deaths.

Friend of mine had pancreatic cancer.  He was given weeks to live last November, but was still alive in February.  He caught COVID at the hospital while undergoing chemotherapy.  He died in March.  His death was attributed to the virus.  (His doctor said he died of a heart attack brought on because of his weakened immune system from the chemo, but the coroner disagreed.)  His family fought, and won, to get his death attributed correctly.  Mainly because of insurance.

But that's just ONE instance.  However, that doesn't mean the death toll isn't 110,000+.  The death toll is no joke, nor is the virus.  We can't ignore it and hope it goes away.

This virus is no joke. But the virus is real, the statistics are not.

17 hours ago, babylene said:

I just spoke to someone at Celebrity and he said they will start cruising in August. He didn't know any further information.

Curious about this.  What type of Celebrity employee?  High level in-the-know type employee? IMO there are very few of these and even fewer who would likely make this comment publicly if indeed they knew something.    Or was it just a regular Celebrity employee repeating the corporate mantra of cruising in August which is public information based on their press releases?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Curious about this.  What type of Celebrity employee?  High level in-the-know type employee? IMO there are very few of these and even fewer who would likely make this comment publicly if indeed they knew something.    Or was it just a regular Celebrity employee repeating the corporate mantra of cruising in August which is public information based on their press releases?  

Someone called me to offer air for our winter cruises. He really didn't know much about anything (including air!) He said they are starting up in August and were going to have a meeting to discuss details.I wished them good luck!

S

Just now, babylene said:

Someone called me to offer air for our winter cruises. He really didn't know much about anything (including air!) He said they are starting up in August and were going to have a meeting to discuss details.I wished them good luck

Thanks for clarifying!

7 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

This virus is no joke. But the virus is real, the statistics are not.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.  Be that as it may, I suspect there may be more deaths due to COVID than what's being reported, not less.  Some states have been manipulating the data to make it look "better".

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.  Be that as it may, I suspect there may be more deaths due to COVID than what's being reported, not less.  Some states have been manipulating the data to make it look "better".

Definitely less than more. The hospitals have a monetary incentive to write down as a covid death.

4 hours ago, drarill said:

Meanwhile in Puerto Rico the government decided to count the cases following CDC guidelines, and it looks like we have beat the virus.  After three months in lock down we have only 1,403 positive PCR tests, 56 deaths and less than a 100 patients hospitalized (7 in ICU and 4 using ventilators).

The governor announced yesterday that we will be open for international travel in the middle of July. Our curfew will be modified next week from 10 pm to 5 am (has been from 7 pm to 5 am these three months). The use of masks is required everywhere!  

I am happy that things are going well on your beautiful island!  But I think we cannot yet say that we beat the virus there or in most places in the world unfortunately.  It is a persistent little devil!

36 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Definitely less than more. The hospitals have a monetary incentive to write down as a covid death.

I do hope you share your special data sources with local and national media.

4 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Well you're wrong there, because Florida has already admitted to under reporting their cases and deaths.  And that's just 1 state.

Here's just one news story on it:  LINK

EDIT:  WTH?  How did that pic show?  Can a HOST help remove it?

Edited by Host CMLA
Photo removed at member request.
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 8:19 PM, holidaylover10 said:

Just checked our August 28th Norway cruise out of Southampton and Shot up from £1225 for a 2B balcony to £2450pp,. This is only a 8 night cruise so ludicrous price 😦

We lifted and shifted from this sailing to next years almost identical sailing on 26th August. Same price, same perks and even get a cabin upgrade.  A lot of the roll call on here have done likewise.

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am happy that things are going well on your beautiful island!  But I think we cannot yet say that we beat the virus there or in most places in the world unfortunately.  It is a persistent little devil!

Agreed! as long as we have an airport and a port we will keep seeing COVID cases. Most of our recent cases came through the airport and the Island was shot down after a cruise passenger with COVID was left here with her spouse. Here is the story of the Costa Luminosa... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/travel/coronavirus-cruise-costa-luminosa.html

5 hours ago, babylene said:

Someone called me to offer air for our winter cruises. He really didn't know much about anything (including air!) He said they are starting up in August and were going to have a meeting to discuss details.I wished them good luck!

S

Another con merchant at his work to extract $ - wonder if they're on commission!

1 hour ago, bluwes said:

We lifted and shifted from this sailing to next years almost identical sailing on 26th August. Same price, same perks and even get a cabin upgrade.  A lot of the roll call on here have done likewise.

How easy was it to do?  I got a discount on my booking.  Not sure if I keep it if I move to 2021 or if I pay extra.  Dec 2020 cruise Sept final payment.

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How easy was it to do?  I got a discount on my booking.  Not sure if I keep it if I move to 2021 or if I pay extra.  Dec 2020 cruise Sept final payment.

Very easy told my TA what I wanted and she dealt with Celebrity on our behalf, she rang me back twenty minutes later all done and dusted. New documents received from Celebrity the same day

18 hours ago, drarill said:

Agreed! as long as we have an airport and a port we will keep seeing COVID cases. Most of our recent cases came through the airport and the Island was shot down after a cruise passenger with COVID was left here with her spouse. Here is the story of the Costa Luminosa... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/travel/coronavirus-cruise-costa-luminosa.html

Yes this type of story is far too common right now.  I have had many visits to PR for business and some for vacations and cruising.  I have a number of friends there. Just a wonderful place to visit with the friendliest people.   I have been impressed with all that you have had to overcome in the past couple of years.  I know it has been really tough in some areas.  But cruising will return!

• Like 1

I read that the industry are having their first exploratory meeting with CDC this coming Thursday although likely to focus on crew repatriation. Also heard that AstraZenica are going to produce millions of doses of vaccine which will start to be available by year end so I would say first quarter of 2021 looks possible for a restart.

20 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Also heard that AstraZenica are going to produce millions of doses of vaccine which will start to be available by year end

Is this taken from the definition of "optimism" in the dictionary?

45 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

I read that the industry are having their first exploratory meeting with CDC this coming Thursday although likely to focus on crew repatriation. Also heard that AstraZenica are going to produce millions of doses of vaccine which will start to be available by year end so I would say first quarter of 2021 looks possible for a restart.

I follow AstraZeneca quite closely as I have shares in them.  Just a caveat. They are producing doses of the vaccine in anticipation of it working. Trials continue. If it is proved to be safe and work then it’s very positive.  But there is a little way to go yet.

Phil

3 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I follow AstraZeneca quite closely as I have shares in them.  Just a caveat. They are producing doses of the vaccine in anticipation of it working. Trials continue. If it is proved to be safe and work then it’s very positive.  But there is a little way to go yet.

Phil

Let's hope!

@BigAl94 I will admit that I assumed your first post left something out, but that article said exactly what you said! Good catch! 

I think their anticipatory production schedule is very interesting. Theirs and other similar efforts, will likely eventually result in an international competition between vaccines approved in some countries and not in others.

I fear that guarantees made to some companies of high profits will result in slower distribution of any effective vaccine in countries where Big Pharma has massive influence, such as here in the US.