Anthem Dry Dock

zjc

On 7/22/2020 at 8:47 AM, Saab4444 said:

It will be a short technical docking for max. 10 days.

As I expected she'll be even longer than the anticipated 8/9 date mentioned in an article about the dry dock. Lots of things can be found during the dry dock (I wouldn't think removal of Northstar was planned) which was unanticipated which requires a longer stay.

Edited by Biker19

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

As I expected she'll be even longer than the anticipated 8/9 date mentioned in an article about the dry dock. Lots of things can be found during the dry dock (I wouldn't think removal of Northstar was planned) which was unanticipated which requires a longer stay.

Well since she has no where to go they might as well do everything!  Take all the time they want.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:04 AM, little britain said:

Current ban goes through to end of Sept.
FCO has kinda implied round Britain itineraries will be allowed.  

I think they could get in a few trial cruises, reduced capacity to test the waters (see what I did there...),  But I don’t  think the existing Oct itineraries to France, Spain will go ahead as planned.  

Not completely sure of UK cabotage laws (I know they don't have strict cabotage per se, but do have restrictions that make it difficult for foreign flag vessels to operate domestically), and not sure of status of EU agreements with Brexit, but I don't believe that Bahamian flag ships could do a strictly UK cruise.

Just now, chengkp75 said:

Not completely sure of UK cabotage laws (I know they don't have strict cabotage per se, but do have restrictions that make it difficult for foreign flag vessels to operate domestically), and not sure of status of EU agreements with Brexit, but I don't believe that Bahamian flag ships could do a strictly UK cruise.

Don’t think there is anything stopping it in the U.K, P&O and Princess are just a couple of operators that do round Britain cruises but the ships aren’t registered in the uk

9 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

Don’t think there is anything stopping it in the U.K, P&O and Princess are just a couple of operators that do round Britain cruises but the ships aren’t registered in the uk

I can't say for sure, but the Princess itineraries I've seen all include port calls in Ireland for all the "round UK" cruises, so these are foreign, not domestic, voyages.  P&O has ships flagged either in UK or Bermuda, a British Overseas Territory, and as such flies the "Red Ensign" or British Merchant Shipping flag, and is considered to be a UK "ships registry", meaning Bermudian ships are considered "domestic" in the UK.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I can't say for sure, but the Princess itineraries I've seen all include port calls in Ireland for all the "round UK" cruises, so these are foreign, not domestic, voyages.  P&O has ships flagged either in UK or Bermuda, a British Overseas Territory, and as such flies the "Red Ensign" or British Merchant Shipping flag, and is considered to be a UK "ships registry", meaning Bermudian ships are considered "domestic" in the UK.

How about Fred.Olsen? Their ships are registered in the Bahamas, but they also have some mini cruises which only include domestic ports, such as the below:

image.png.e1729497ab18e00764b175145eb68fed.png 

35 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

A bit closer to hitting the water:

116901011_3626480787380852_3119685931909748621_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=jdLVDpsFZTIAX9N6W7Q&_nc_ht=scontent-ams4-1.xx&oh=6f3ac095df091881a329cd4efbc3865d&oe=5F580BCF

I want to sail her as i had hoped to do on November 1st.  A really nice ship.  Next on my hopes is Vision on January 4th.  Doubt it will happen though.

7 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

How about Fred.Olsen? Their ships are registered in the Bahamas, but they also have some mini cruises which only include domestic ports, such as the below:

Again, I'm not an expert on UK cabotage, which is a somewhat unique legal system, but I suspect that the Fred Olsen subsidiary that is based in the UK meets the ownership and other requirements, like paying UK taxes, etc, that allows them to sail domestically.  As I said, the UK does not have strict UK flag cabotage, but there are requirements to owning and operating ships that give significant advantages to UK flag ships.  Perhaps Fred Olsen can meet enough of these requirements to make the rest economical.  I would be very surprised if Princess could work up a UK only cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I know her destination is given as Southampton, but at the moment she is heading SSW.

But then again, I don't know how big her turning circle is.

Regards,

Cublet

Just now, cublet said:

Hello,

Anthem is currently stationary is the Baie du Douarnenez.

Regards,

Cublet

The SSW heading was likely the shipping channel out to the point where you turn NW to clear Ushant.  There are likely some sea trials to do, and possibly "swinging the compass" (turning in a circle and noting the variation between the magnetic and gyro compass at each point of the compass), which is done every couple years, and after any significant change in steel around the ship.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 10:23 PM, little britain said:

Jewel is a perfect ship to sail a winter season in a Europe too.... just sayin’ !

Even in normal times I don't know if RCL would have enough demand to operate a profitable Med winter season. You have already Costa and I think MSC doing so with a couple of ships at heavily discounted prices. RCL would relly on overseas passengers and since weather is unpredictable in winter it's not really worth it for Americans to fly over and go on a cruise in winter in Europe.

30 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Just enough time to restock and re-crew for the 6th September Discover the Canaries cruise.🥺

Regards,

Cublet

2021? 😉

1 minute ago, LXA350 said:

Even in normal times I don't know if RCL would have enough demand to operate a profitable Med winter season. You have already Costa and I think MSC doing so with a couple of ships at heavily discounted prices. RCL would relly on overseas passengers and since weather is unpredictable in winter it's not really worth it for Americans to fly over and go on a cruise in winter in Europe.

Independence did a winter season from the U.K. Don’t forget they will only be able to half/60% fill the ships so it would be better than the ships being sat idle