Captain’s Club Power Up Points

cruisestitch

As a normal Princess cruiser, we have also cruised on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, I watched the webcast with interest.

My first reaction was it was defiantly damage control, so afterwards I wanted to know more about what prompted this self-serving damage control? (I say this recognizing that large corporations often offer up some of their nicest marketing oriented people to carry the can for the decisions of senior officials a long way from the retail crowd who they don't relate to.)  So I decided to research a bit into recent complaints on this board.  

Some observations are:

• I would never book a VI (or IV) offering, and I was not even aware that Celebrity seems locked in on that offering in its newest class.
  • I wonder to what extent Celebrity test marketed that offering to its most loyal customer base?
  • Celebrity must be seriously worried about the matter because it could adversely affect long-term revenue unless fixed. But the cost of doling so could blow the budget. 
  • Princess has its own issues with its most loyal customer base. 

The head of Carnival stated in a recent market call that it is goring to narrow the revenue gap between cruises and land based vacations. (I wonder the extent to which he knows the difference between land oriented vacationers and cruisers, as the drive to reduce costs and raise revenues may suggest to them that all vacationers are just widgets.)  Those marching orders are being pushed down into the Princess brand, which generates a surprising high percentage of Carnival's group revenues. (I forget the percentage.)

For the most loyal Celebrity cruisers, you like us Princess cruisers, know things have gone downhill while prices have gone up.  And surprises among surprises, Celebrity now thinks All in does not include gratuities.  Good luck on that. (Holland America also has that but we recently booked one of its cruises that has AL in with gratuities.) I suspect Celebrity will have to be withdraw or significantly modify its gambit.  Didn't it previously attempt to require all passengers to have its ALL in package , which went over like a lead balloon?  Seems like a follow up ill conceived balloon to me. 

Expect more freelancing by those who like to cruise across brands based on the details of a specific offering whether by fare, AL in, itinerary or dining and entertainment. The brands themselves are causing this.  The question is do they care?

If I understand the complaints on this board correctly, it seems Celebrity is being pushed in the direction of the of Royal Caribbean brand. That is what happened to Princess after Carnival acquired it and started making very noticeable cutbacks especially and initially on entertainment. Before, it had high profile entertainers but that is long gone. On one cruise we were on in the Caribbean, there was a high profile Vegas act (named entertainer plus his wife who was a singer) brought in for two nights as well as the number one entertainment act (husband and wife) on Brutish television.  That was in the 1990s.

While it is going to take some time for this to shake out, expect more changes and more complaints from the most loyal customers in each brand. Not to mention brand damage control.

Meanwhile, we could be headed into a major recession in the next six to eights months, given all the money printing that occurred which caused inflation and the resulting increases in interest rates to cool inflation and the economy. If that unfortunately occurs, both Celebrity and Princess will have to up their game significantly vis a vis their most loyal customers. 

•  
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Correct, but once you hit Elite on Celebrity, you get Diamond on Royal, and that's where you stay.  My interpretation of the call was that they are looking at closer synchronization.  Ie, when you get to Elite Plus on X, you get to Diamond Plus on Royal.  Probably won't happen before our Royal cruise, and it may be one time thing.

It's not that you stay there, but any progression beyond that point has to be earnt.

Which makes sense to me, both as it would be a bit odd to attend the Pinnacle events, yet not have any sailings with Royal and only be there because you're Zenith. And equally its problematic as beyond that level is when you start getting free cruises, so you'd get a free cruise with each line as you progressed? Not gonna happen.

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice the very low volume music being played through the whole webinar?  I found it annoying b/c who needs background music during a discussion.  Perhaps they thought it made it seem like they were more accessible/regular people just having a nice chat.  LOL! 

Overall it was very polished, and did address some of the concerns I've seen on this forum.  What I thought was a bit nuts was them trying to sell the All Included as people only want drinks, and wifi.  As if you don't have to pay gratuities at some point, or what? One of the reasons I have avoided HAL is how they don't ever (that I've seen recently) include gratuities in their All Included pricing. FWIW Princess has changed their All Included too, and for one cruise next year, I booked cruise only b/c of their new pricing, and my roommate does not drink, so both people having to get the All Included is just dumb.  Oh well, I have no Celebrity cruises on my horizon, so their new strategy is moot for me now.  YMMV

Edited by dreams_of_travel
typo

2 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Did anyone else notice the very low volume music being played through the whole webinar?  I found it annoying b/c who needs background music during a discussion.  Perhaps they thought it made it seem like they were more accessible/regular people just having a nice chat.  LOL! 

Overall it was very polished, and did address some of the concerns I've seen on this forum.  What I thought was a bit nuts was them trying to sell the All Included as people only want drinks, and wifi.  As if you don't have to pay gratuities at some point, or what? One of the reasons I have avoided HAL is how they don't ever (that I've seen recently) include gratuities in their All Included pricing. FWIW Princess has changed their All Included too, and for one cruise next year, I booked cruise only b/c of their new pricing, and my roommate does not drink, so both people having to get the All Included is just dumb.  Oh well, I have no Celebrity cruises on my horizon, so their new strategy is moot for me now.  YMMV

Booked HAL about 2 months ago for a early 2025 cruise and gratituies were included.  They mention it was due to early booking as I recall.  They did not define what 'early booking' period was.

Edited by shipshape sam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

Booked HAL about 2 months ago for a early 2025 cruise and gratituies were included.  They mention it was due to early booking as I recall.  They did not define what 'early booking' period was.

Also booked 10/24 and 12/24 cruises with HAL last July of this year. Both have paid gratuities!

That being said, I have to agree that stating now (October) all cruise lines will follow suit and drop paid gratuities from AL. Had to burst out laughing when the CEO and commentator both announced that all anyone needs is WiFi and a drink package! LOL

On 9/28/2023 at 8:52 PM, gold1953 said:

find a new travel partner! No different than a hotel or any other place that couples go. I am a morning person married to a night person. We accept and make allowance for each other

🙂 A new travel partner sounds a bit extreme. 🙂
I'm a night person married to an early morning person - I also have fibromyalgia so sometimes NEED more rest - and although we haven't travelled yet in an infinity cabin (we booked the porthole verandah) I can see the point of those who say it's harder when one sleeps in and the other chooses to relax on the balcony if up early.  
It is rather different from a hotel, as if it has a balcony it's a traditional balcony so one can be out there whilst the other naps. 

We do tend to get up at the same time when cruising as we don't want to miss out on anything! Can't wait to be back on a ship, and the fact it will be the Edge is an extra thrill!

I just watched the webcast so now I will only be 2168 points from Z instead if 2171. 

Overall, I thought it was fine, but the rationalization of changes to AI is crazy. They took a package that had three things in it, four for suites, and left in the two profit items and removed the item that people can’t avoid. Numerous people say they don’t need the drink package or wifi. 

Over time the prices will “adjust” to absorb the grats and it becomes money for X.

Geesh, I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and can see this one a nautical mile away. 

At the end of the day, call it what you will, include whatever you want, but the total cost paid for perceived value received is all that matters. 

mac_tlc

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I just watched the webcast so now I will only be 2168 points from Z instead if 2171. 

Overall, I thought it was fine, but the rationalization of changes to AI is crazy. They took a package that had three things in it, four for suites, and left in the two profit items and removed the item that people can’t avoid. Numerous people say they don’t need the drink package or wifi. 

Over time the prices will “adjust” to absorb the grats and it becomes money for X.

Geesh, I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and can see this one a nautical mile away. 

At the end of the day, call it what you will, include whatever you want, but the total cost paid for perceived value received is all that matters. 

mac_tlc

The saddest part of leaving out the gratuities from the AI is that the staff will likely suffer. Our TA always included gratuities in the past and we have always additionally tipped many staff members and I think we're not alone in this. I wonder how many will pay the required gratuities and decide that this is enough, or ask that they be removed and tip what they want. I am afraid that many will short change the staff who like likely suffer income loss from this move. Regardless or how LHB spins the video, they will be the ones who suffer.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

The saddest part of leaving out the gratuities from the AI is that the staff will likely suffer. Our TA always included gratuities in the past and we have always additionally tipped many staff members and I think we're not alone in this. I wonder how many will pay the required gratuities and decide that this is enough, or ask that they be removed and tip what they want. I am afraid that many will short change the staff who like likely suffer income loss from this move. Regardless or how LHB spins the video, they will be the ones who suffer.

Crew will be getting fruitcakes, candy and little trinkets to show appreciation for their service.  

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

Give us gratuities and take away the wifi. 

Agree.  Tip-flation is a bit of a hot button issue currently.  Companies should pay their employees a sufficient wage.  If workers have to rely on tips to make a living wage, then the company should be paying them more.  

• Like 4

On 9/30/2023 at 12:25 PM, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

Gratituies are a dollar value promoted and the same dollar value of expensed-not a good deal for Celebrity.  WiFi is a joke as they have a  much lower cost than stated value passenger receives.  Same for drink packages, maybe not as much profit.

On 10/1/2023 at 3:56 PM, shipshape sam said:

Gratituies are a dollar value promoted and the same dollar value of expensed-not a good deal for Celebrity.  WiFi is a joke as they have a  much lower cost than stated value passenger receives.  Same for drink packages, maybe not as much profit.

The WiFi charges on Celebrity are much higher for the same service than on Royal Caribbean. That makes it look like included WiFi is a better deal than it actually is. As far as drinks I don’t drink much, sail solo, and always have small charges for drinks. So I don’t book with AI rates. I can see the drink package might be a value for couples. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

I say either take away the drinks or just eliminate AI completely. You end up paying significantly more in the end unless you're a real lush.

Maybe they should go back to the "Big Better Best" or whatever preceded it.  Or, you pick two.  I'd do tips and drinks and just be careful with my free loyalty wifi.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Maybe they should go back to the "Big Better Best" or whatever preceded it.  Or, you pick two.  I'd do tips and drinks and just be careful with my free loyalty wifi.

I agree - if they are going to make any further changes, Big, Better, Best would be my hope.  Although I really would prefer they just go back to the way it was last week 🙂  (love my OBC and pre-paid gratuities)

• Like 3