Captain’s Club Power Up Points

cruisestitch

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

I looked at this. I can get the room free with my accrued Hilton points,  or pay for the room through  X.  The option to get 5 Captains Club points towards a loyalty level we'll never achieve seems kind of silly in this case for us.

Yup!  The only thing about free rooms using points are the redemption value.  Metadata values a hilton point at a half cent.  If the room is $150 and the points to receive the free night are 50K, you're spending $250 in face point value to get that room.  Furthermore, with Hilton, they have as a perk a 5th night free using points, therefore points should be saved for those redemptions.  Lastly, unlike Marriott/Bonvoy, if you book a Hilton room with points you are exempt from paying resort fees.  One of the best values is to book a trip to Hawaii (most major Hawaii hotels and all Hilton hotels in Hawaii charge resort fees) for at least five nights.  If you do not have enough points and cannot transfer credit card points, several times a year you can buy them for a half cent a point; there's a current promotion to do so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yup!  The only thing about free rooms using points are the redemption value.  Metadata values a hilton point at a half cent.  If the room is $150 and the points to receive the free night are 50K, you're spending $250 in face point value to get that room.  Furthermore, with Hilton, they have as a perk a 5th night free using points, therefore points should be saved for those redemptions.  Lastly, unlike Marriott/Bonvoy, if you book a Hilton room with points you are exempt from paying resort fees.  One of the best values is to book a trip to Hawaii (most major Hawaii hotels and all Hilton hotels in Hawaii charge resort fees) for at least five nights.  If you do not have enough points and cannot transfer credit card points, several times a year you can buy them for a half cent a point; there's a current promotion to do so.

Don't forget to mention that if you book a room with points, you're not charged taxes.  I.e. That cash room, above, is not $150 but more like $175-$200 with taxes, so, factor this in for the points to cost comparison.

1 hour ago, annandme said:

Don't forget to mention that if you book a room with points, you're not charged taxes.  I.e. That cash room, above, is not $150 but more like $175-$200 with taxes, so, factor this in for the points to cost comparison.

Very true, just have to take the all in cash price (fare, all fees and taxes) vs point amount into consideration.  Some may blindly book with points but could using far more points at face value than the all in cash price.  

12 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

And for Hyatt, it also means no "resort fees" which are pretty substantial these days.

Hilton and Hyatt do not charge resort fees on award stays.  Marriott/Bonvoy still charges you;  Hyatt often has the best point redemptions out there.

8 hours ago, patty1955 said:

At least on the one upcoming cruise that I checked for, hotels.com charges the same as Celebrity. What is the advantage?

There is no advantage except that even prepaid non-ref hotels should be refundable in case the cruise gets cancelled.

If you book through other OTA's such as Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz etc you can earn more loyalty points and add discount coupons.

I usually book directly with the hotel to get my points/benefits or through Amex FHR.

13 hours ago, patty1955 said:

At least on the one upcoming cruise that I checked for, hotels.com charges the same as Celebrity. What is the advantage?

Prices will be hit or miss. This site is basically Priceline.com with a Celebrity logo. For instance on an upcoming night I have booked, the Hilton Marina FLL (which I think is a dump of a hotel, but that's for another thread) is $362 through Hilton and $172 through Celebrity for the same nonrefundable room. 

If you booked the nonrefundable rate and Celebrity changes or cancels your cruise, Celebrity covers any hotel fees. 

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Prices will be hit or miss. This site is basically Priceline.com with a Celebrity logo. For instance on an upcoming night I have booked, the Hilton Marina FLL (which I think is a dump of a hotel, but that's for another thread) is $362 through Hilton and $172 through Celebrity for the same nonrefundable room. 

If you booked the nonrefundable rate and Celebrity changes or cancels your cruise, Celebrity covers any hotel fees. 

Just a FYI, when I booked and canceled yesterday the transaction came up as priceline.

The powerup form asks for the "* HOTEL RESERVATION #"

Once you book a hotel, it gives you:  

*Trip Number

Use when looking up your reservation online, or when calling our customer service team.

*Confirmation Number

Use when checking into the hotel.

While I believe powerup form is wanting the Confirmation number, I submitted the form twice, once with the Trip # and once with the Conf.  Figure the extra 30 seconds it took to re-submit would save me a headache later if I don't receive the points

14 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just a FYI, when I booked and canceled yesterday the transaction came up as priceline.

That's not a bad rate for that location...I stayed there over 2 years ago, they were doing remodeling in areas, are they done with that part?  

I actually prefer something more walkable to restaurants, bars etc...but I did check their rate for a late March cruise I have coming up, and the Celebrity site was a better rate than direct book for sure.  

We have found Great Deals on https://hotels.celebritycruises.com/  in the past...

Unfortunately not this time - Marriott had much better rates for us direct 🙂

Both pre & post stay - It could be the # of nights we are staying...
At this point we truly need sun & warmth 😎

Edited by Von & John

While I understand Celebrity will refund a hotel booking for a cancelled cruise, does anybody know what would happen if one of us tests positive for Covid two days before the cruise? Even when booking the refundable rates on the Celebrity site, the disclaimer states: "Any cancellation received within 4 days prior to the arrival date will incur the first night's charge."

46 minutes ago, Mcfcforever said:

I have just received an email for the UK webinar. My question is if I do the US webinar tonight and the UK one would I receive 50 power up points for both? 

You could try and see if it works. Worst could happen is it doesn't and you just get 50 PUPS and not 100 lol. We generally mute it anyway and let it run if we're busy. It's not like there's a test lol.