Odyssey Inaugural - What Ship(s) Will They Substitute?

I just made a horrible realization. 

Many of us are assuming that construction of Odyssey of the Seas has been delayed due to the worldwide pandemic.  That's a pretty safe assumption.

I had been assuming those of us booked on the early Odyssey sailings will have our Odyssey cruise cancelled.  Now I'm thinking that's a bad assumption.

For those not following the Allure of the Seas Galveston changes, in a nutshell they are delaying construction of a new terminal because of the pandemic.  The result is that Allure can't fulfil the cruises that have been booked on her from Galveston.  In light of this development Royal has substituted Liberty of the Seas in her place.  Liberty is a completely different class ship, no where near what Allure is like in terms of size or features.  

As we consider what Royal may do with planned Odyssey bookings we now have to consider that Royal may do the same with all Odyssey bookings - change the ship.

Rather than having to cancel thousands of bookings and issue refunds, based on what we are seeing with Allure, I fear Royal will do the same with Odyssey bookings that are impacted by the construction delay.

So the question is... what ship (or ships) will Royal move into place to avoid having to cancel all Odyssey bookings impacted by the pandemic construction delays?  

1 minute ago, caribbeanboy said:

Where did you read that Odyssey was delayed?

It was offered on the recent investor calls by Royal that ships expected to be delivered in 2020 and 2021 will face delays due to labor changes at the shipyards.  While the shipyards have not closed, social distancing requirements and labor shortages due to the pandemic have created a construction slowdown.  

I have not seen anything specific about Odyssey delays, but also would not be surprised if it is delayed. Only time will tell.

This was a statement included in an update to investors several weeks ago:

“The Company believes COVID-19 has impacted shipyard operations and will result in delivery delays of ships previously planned for delivery in 2020 and 2021.”

4 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

It could be Oasis or Independence.   Although not the Odyssey, I dont think it would be horrible.

Wouldnt you be thrilled to be sailing away on a Royal ship after all this time?  The pandemic is horrible.

Switching ships is a little disappointing but not horrible.

Depends.  Quantum class has the highest balcony cabin ratios.  If they move us to an ocean view on another ship that would not be desirable, especially in a pandemic when you might get stuck on the ship.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Depends.  Quantum class has the highest balcony cabin ratios.  If they move us to an ocean view on another ship that would not be desirable, especially in a pandemic when you might get stuck on the ship.  

Depends how long they operate at reduced capacity don't you think

10 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

See this thread.  last pages.

Fears are unfounded.

See post 385 in the thread you posted.  

A reputable user on this forum knowledgeable in these things offered:

On 5/31/2020 at 4:38 PM, chengkp75 said:

I agree that Meyer Werft will be responsible for about 2 months delay (see my comment about overtime below), and anything further than that would more likely be a "slow down" agreement with RCI.

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Depends how long they operate at reduced capacity don't you think

If they move Empress or Majesty over to take over from Odyssey then it matters. 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They could use the 3 Pulmanteur ships that are slated for cold storage.🤣😇

That's a distinct possibility.  Royal will do anything to avoid cancelling more bookings.  They are desperate.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  

Edited by twangster
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think Steamboats felt that way as well

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

If they move Empress or Majesty over to take over from Odyssey then it matters. 🙂 

Well, technically both those ships are already committed.  Liberty situation was unique in that it didn't have any sailings commited for the Allure timeframes. 

This will get cancelled with some pittance of an OBC.

Edited by John&LaLa

i don't think any of this speculation matters.  from the allure thread by firefly

I've read the options have been changed. 

Option 1 move to within 4 weeks of your date on oasis or symphony of the seas ... for those with suites they can now keep them

Options 2 full refund and there was a option 3.

I'm not a ta, and my screen shot is from a site I dont think I can post. Do we have a ta in the house who can post this or post the update on a new thread.

That is November 2020 you are talking about right?  No need to replace the ship, those sailings are most likely to be canceled anyway.

Just until Odyssey is ready, once it's ready whoever has the sailing  booked when the ship starts, that will turn into the inaugural sailing.

All those with sailings before ship starts will just get FCC or refunds of some kind?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

As we consider what Royal may do with planned Odyssey bookings we now have to consider that Royal may do the same with all Odyssey bookings - change the ship.

I bet a D drink that will not happen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

i don't think any of this speculation matters.  from the allure thread by firefly

I've read the options have been changed. 

Option 1 move to within 4 weeks of your date on oasis or symphony of the seas ... for those with suites they can now keep them

Options 2 full refund and there was a option 3.

I'm not a ta, and my screen shot is from a site I dont think I can post. Do we have a ta in the house who can post this or post the update on a new thread.

What are the odds that key suites are even available though. 😉

Obvious answer is just move them to Allure 🤔

Squelch rumor about her doing 3/4's

Edited by John&LaLa

40 minutes ago, twangster said:

Agree with the rep of Chengkp75.  But if you look at the posted pictures, construction is moving right along.

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

No need to replace the ship, those sailings are most likely to be canceled anyway.

That's what many people assumed with Allure.  However think about it.  Cancelling Odyssey cruises in November and December will cost them dearly at a time when bankruptcy is one bad move away from becoming a reality.  All bets are off, these aren't normal times, they are desperate.  

Edited by twangster

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Agree with the rep of Chengkp75.  But if you look at the posted pictures, construction is moving right along.

The ship will complete and be delivered, no question.  The only question is when.  

• Like 1

Just now, twangster said:

That's what many people assumed with Allure.  However think about it.  Cancelling Odyssey cruises in November and December will cost them dearly at a time when bankruptcy is one bad move away from becoming a reality.  All bets are off, these aren't normal times, they are desperate.  

Flip side is they have to pay for her at delivery😉

Isn't she close to a Bazillion dollars

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What are the odds that key suites are even available though. 😉

Obvious answer is just move them to Allure 🤔

Squelch rumor about her doing 3/4's

If this latest rumour is true then I take it an even stronger sign that Allure is not doing a std 7 day itinerary.

There will be some suites that are still SOL but that can happen with any of the L&S's.  At test there may be more options including the refund