Pullmantur Ships for sale.

aussie cruzer

1329081163_Screenshot2020-07-24at09_42_42.thumb.png.fbe702eb0d1c041a1ec5504c71892fd3.png

And, if you have the stomach for it, here is a video from the bridge of the Monarch as she is beached.

https://youtu.be/yPpY9EMSWeM 

"Another vessel which was part of the Pullmantur fleet named Horizon is just one step behind and also set to be scrapped. The ship is current off the Greek coast after being stripped of all important items. The ship will soon join Monarch and Sovereign on the beach at Aliaga."

https://www.cruisehive.com/two-former-royal-caribbean-cruise-ships-beached-ready-for-scrapping/40839

3 hours ago, Skipper Tim said:

Someone representing Pullmantur posted the above photo, cropped a little, on their LinkedIn page yesterday with the words (I have omitted the Spanish version),

"Today the Monarch and Sovereign reach the end of their journey. A long time of sailing full of joy, emotions, conversations, stories ... a journey full of life; a great place for family reunions, vacations that thousands of passengers dream of; cozy homes for the large family of crew members: without them, our passengers' experience would never have been the same. Monarch and Sovereign, you will always be part of our company's history. We continue to work to get back in operation as soon as possible. This is our greatest desire."

https://www.linkedin.com/organization-guest/company/pullmantur?challengeId=AQFizcUndzZTOQAAAXN_4XKAqjX3ZC1e1-E13Lgyxcq8bqKjd_ISvSprFz80UhIoYt6bkuqoY7oBGUC-ifJAlNejlhNquHQ3JA&submissionId=9a9f37b7-0da2-2416-78fa-37acb0ce612a

The last part is the most significant to those of us holding reservations. 

I totally agree with your optimism there Tim. Yesterday my girlfriend received her email from Pullmantur and I now realise that they are addressing us as, "Dear Future Passenger." I do hope so.

I created another thread where I wondered if they would be able to take advantage of the many ships being dumped in order to upgrade their fleet. If their finances are in reasonable order, I think they may have a chance to do just that. In terms of cruise ships, it is a buyer’s market right now.

11 hours ago, Stockjock said:

If their finances are in reasonable order, I think they may have a chance to do just that.

Not sure how finances could in any reasonable order when they are in bankruptcy proceedings.

As far as I understand the existing Pullmantur ownership has been wiped-out hence the grab of ships, crew and future guests by Royal Caribbean. All that is left is the brand name, the guests who have not yet 'jumped ship', the Spain-based employees (currently on Government-paid furlough) and the infrastructure of booking agents and partners around the World. That should be enough to bring in new money to relaunch Pullmantur.

I think the whole cruise industry is in a very difficult position as cruise ships now have an image of breading grounds for Covid (among other diseases). Without vastly improved air-conditioning systems which could put many existing ships out of commercial viability to retro-fit - especially the latest mega monsters - I can't see that changing. The mandatory SOLAS safety regulations, despite being announced 20 years before, forced many older cruise ships, to retire rather than incur the expense of compliance. The most famous example was the QE2 but there were many more at the time. 

I can imagine a 'best endeavours' approach will be made to give confidence for new bookings but another high-profile outbreak on a cruise ship could be the death-knell to the cruise industry as we know it. I have read the 30 page certification document introduced for Turkish hotels and many Turkish hotels have simply decided not to re-open this year because of the severe capacity constraints and lack of self-service makes them commercially unviable (without several-fold rate increases).

Eventually, I would expect a new safety standard for cruise ships to minimise the chance of an outbreak of infectious diseases - something cruise lines have been in denial about for decades. This may even lead to a return to smaller ships - as each extra guest sharing air in a confined space multiplies the probability of some sort of outbreak - i.e  that is an exponentially increasing risk with no. of guests. When the numbers of those affected have been small, the lines have always blamed the guests. Now in the Covid era, mathematical models could show how likely an outbreak is according to the size and design of a ship even after all the mitigating efforts have been made. Small is good, more public space per guest is good as is constant fresh air. Buffets are bad as are gatherings of large number of people, e.g. main restaurants, large bars and theatres. 

The naturalists say that pandemics are likely to increase in frequency as humans take over the natural habitat of other species and we are exposed to ancient diseases that we have never developed any immunity to. These issues are not likely to go away. 

In the meantime, I would expect the new Pullmantur to rent some third-hand smallish ship rescued from the brink of scrap, refitted  and run at reduced capacity for the foreseeable future. Perhaps it could be the Horizon, but as Stockjock says, there are plenty more ships in the sea. 

17 hours ago, Skipper Tim said:

In the meantime, I would expect the new Pullmantur to rent some third-hand smallish ship rescued from the brink of scrap, refitted  and run at reduced capacity for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like Grandeur next April.

Horizon is currently refuelling at anchor off Limassol (a fuel tanker is alongside). As Limassol is around three times the distance from Piraeus as Aliaga - what is she doing and where to next??

Did you ever hear back from the photographer in Piraeus Tim? I didn't. I would love to know why Horizon docked there and whether she was stripped of valuables as were the other two in Naples.

47 minutes ago, Smurf2017 said:

Did you ever hear back from the photographer in Piraeus Tim? I didn't. I would love to know why Horizon docked there and whether she was stripped of valuables as were the other two in Naples.

No, I didn't and would also like to know. 

2 hours ago, Skipper Tim said:

No, I didn't and would also like to know. 

Do you have any contacts out there that could at least tell us a little more about the particular part of the port that Horizon moored at? 

5 minutes ago, Smurf2017 said:

Do you have any contacts out there that could at least tell us a little more about the particular part of the port that Horizon moored at? 

Horizon is underway again - back to Piraeus! What is going on? A pleasure trip for a prospective or current) new owner?

On 7/25/2020 at 9:47 AM, Skipper Tim said:

As far as I understand the existing Pullmantur ownership has been wiped-out hence the grab of ships, crew and future guests by Royal Caribbean. All that is left is the brand name, the guests who have not yet 'jumped ship', the Spain-based employees (currently on Government-paid furlough) and the infrastructure of booking agents and partners around the World. That should be enough to bring in new money to relaunch Pullmantur.

I think the whole cruise industry is in a very difficult position as cruise ships now have an image of breading grounds for Covid (among other diseases). Without vastly improved air-conditioning systems which could put many existing ships out of commercial viability to retro-fit - especially the latest mega monsters - I can't see that changing. The mandatory SOLAS safety regulations, despite being announced 20 years before, forced many older cruise ships, to retire rather than incur the expense of compliance. The most famous example was the QE2 but there were many more at the time. 

I can imagine a 'best endeavours' approach will be made to give confidence for new bookings but another high-profile outbreak on a cruise ship could be the death-knell to the cruise industry as we know it. I have read the 30 page certification document introduced for Turkish hotels and many Turkish hotels have simply decided not to re-open this year because of the severe capacity constraints and lack of self-service makes them commercially unviable (without several-fold rate increases).

Eventually, I would expect a new safety standard for cruise ships to minimise the chance of an outbreak of infectious diseases - something cruise lines have been in denial about for decades. This may even lead to a return to smaller ships - as each extra guest sharing air in a confined space multiplies the probability of some sort of outbreak - i.e  that is an exponentially increasing risk with no. of guests. When the numbers of those affected have been small, the lines have always blamed the guests. Now in the Covid era, mathematical models could show how likely an outbreak is according to the size and design of a ship even after all the mitigating efforts have been made. Small is good, more public space per guest is good as is constant fresh air. Buffets are bad as are gatherings of large number of people, e.g. main restaurants, large bars and theatres. 

The naturalists say that pandemics are likely to increase in frequency as humans take over the natural habitat of other species and we are exposed to ancient diseases that we have never developed any immunity to. These issues are not likely to go away. 

In the meantime, I would expect the new Pullmantur to rent some third-hand smallish ship rescued from the brink of scrap, refitted  and run at reduced capacity for the foreseeable future. Perhaps it could be the Horizon, but as Stockjock says, there are plenty more ships in the sea. 

That was a very good read Tim many a true word thank you, my old days on the North Atlantic it was ram air from the open prom deck even the galleys would have there ports open even in mid Atlantic.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:44 AM, Skipper Tim said:

1329081163_Screenshot2020-07-24at09_42_42.thumb.png.fbe702eb0d1c041a1ec5504c71892fd3.png

And, if you have the stomach for it, here is a video from the bridge of the Monarch as she is beached.

https://youtu.be/yPpY9EMSWeM 

"Another vessel which was part of the Pullmantur fleet named Horizon is just one step behind and also set to be scrapped. The ship is current off the Greek coast after being stripped of all important items. The ship will soon join Monarch and Sovereign on the beach at Aliaga."

https://www.cruisehive.com/two-former-royal-caribbean-cruise-ships-beached-ready-for-scrapping/40839

This is all quite sad.  These are both lovely ships- we have the key cards here.   The teak walk around decking was a highlight.  You could see what was happening in any direction.  The tiny average cabin size and lack of alternative dining and balconies were major problems if cruising is to stop growing like crazy.  I hope Pullmantur returns in some form.  The line was quirky but fun.  

Edited by ew101
  • Like 1

Monarch and Sovereign have now been joined by Carnival Fantasy with reportedly another 6 cruise ships on their way to Aliaga. It should be a cruise ship theme park not a scrap yard.

116440663_NWS-rrRRRKDPn9KIgfykybCM.png.thumb.jpeg.d72d237cec0def768ac2eb8c1c55b204.jpeg

Here is vídeo off Fantasy arriving. If you look across to Sovereign and Monarch you'll see they haven't wasted any time with the the dismantling and the lifeboats are already gone. There is a pile of them on the dockside. 

https://youtu.be/Fa0U1nUKqkk

And the Captain leaving :

https://youtu.be/iMgjdv-47K0

On 8/1/2020 at 6:43 AM, Smurf2017 said:

Here is vídeo off Fantasy arriving. If you look across to Sovereign and Monarch you'll see they haven't wasted any time with the the dismantling and the lifeboats are already gone. There is a pile of them on the dockside. 

https://youtu.be/Fa0U1nUKqkk

And the Captain leaving :

https://youtu.be/iMgjdv-47K0

Any idea of the 6 going to be scrapped. I would assume from various lines. Maybe some CMV ships? Or Fred Olsen?

1 hour ago, roeco9084 said:

Its odd Horizon went from Piareus to Limassol and back to Piareus. Not something a ship heading for scrap would do very strange indeed.

Maybe she got a reprieve?  A midnight call from the governor staying execution?

5 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

Its odd Horizon went from Piareus to Limassol and back to Piareus. Not something a ship heading for scrap would do very strange indeed.

It is very odd for any cruise ship with no guests and a skeleton crew to make a week's round trip from one part of the EU to another. This is not the case of repatriating crew. 

Given Cyprus's geographical position, perhaps drug running, people smuggling or some other cargo necessitating a one-off private charter? 

1 hour ago, Skipper Tim said:

It is very odd for any cruise ship with no guests and a skeleton crew to make a week's round trip from one part of the EU to another. This is not the case of repatriating crew. 

Given Cyprus's geographical position, perhaps drug running, people smuggling or some other cargo necessitating a one-off private charter? 

Anything to make a quick buck and stay afloat!