Walked talkies

Poppie55

37 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes they still make them.

FWIW: as yacht sailors, we have ICOM marine band VHF handhelds (and the FCC licenses). But, we would NEVER bring them onto a cruise ship. Just SO unnecessary.

I do not think VHF  radios are allowed anyway

Or DH would have found a way to take his onboard  😉

5 hours ago, mozfoz said:

Do they still make walkie-talkies? Compared with todays technology, it would almost be like talking through two tin cans connected by a string. Would be comically annoying to other passengers.

We observed a family using walkie-talkies on Celebrity Infinity. Comically annoying? No, just annoying. 

Something like:

"Where are you?"

"What? I can't hear you."

Louder - "I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

"What? Where? Where's that?"

"Where's your father? What?"

Another passenger shouted: "Turn that thing off or I'll throw it overboard."

Response in the area was laughter and applause. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Another passenger shouted: "Turn that thing off or I'll throw it overboard."

Response in the area was laughter and applause. 

A very appropriate response IMO.

• Haha 1

When we were on NCL's GEM about 10 years ago the ship provided us with phones to call each other ... we never used them.  The GEM as I recall had 1750 passengers-- or was it 2300? -- far larger than the "R" ships and also larger than the "O" ships.  We never have felt a need to contact each other while wandering around the ship on our own ... then again, we've never been on a ship larger than GEM.

We just tend to make a "date" as to when we will meet up later.

Mura

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes they still make them.

FWIW: as yacht sailors, we have ICOM marine band VHF handhelds (and the FCC licenses). But, we would NEVER bring them onto a cruise ship. Just SO unnecessary.

And cruise lines prohibit passenger's from bringing radio transceiver's or even satellite telephones on board...

I even had a hard time bringing a radio scanner on board, until I convinced them it could only receive, and not transmit.

One other simple method of communicating is to just leave a message on the cabin telephone.  Arrange ahead of time to communicate that way, if other party not found...

If you must use a legal walkie talkie, use headphones at least...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

If you must use a legal walkie talkie, use headphones at least...

That  only helps cut down on one side of the  chatter   they person is still shouting into the  unit

The other person could probably hear them without the walkie talkie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2020 at 3:39 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Used to be that way with AT&T. You could enable wifi calling and then turn off cellular service. 

Now (last couple of years), you can only turn wifi calling on when AT&T cellular is on. If airplane mode is on, the choice for wifi calling is grayed out. Thus, It only works if AT&T cellular (or a partner) service is active. You can then select wifi calling and it will switch automatically when there are no towers (or if the ship has AT&T cellular at sea). 

On 6/14/2020 at 4:57 PM, Charles4515 said:

That is not true. I have AT&T and I used WiFi calling on Insignia with Cellular off and in Airplane mode last August. I also used it in December on Celebrity and RC this past January. I have used it a dozen times the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just a little addendum to this conversation. I have ATT as my carrier, but I have ATT GO, which is a no data 10 cent a minute plan. I buy 1000 minutes for $100 which generally lasts me a almost a year. I have very little phone usage, my wife has a phone with the full unlimited calls, texts and so forth. 

My point, and I do have one, is that although I have a late model Apple Phone the ATT program that I have does not allow wifi calling. Your phone should let you know if wifi is available with your program when you try to activate wifi calling. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, BajaBarry said:

Who has an AppleWatch? My wife and I do so we could use the Walkie-Talkie feature (app) but probably won't.

I don't have an Applewatch, so I'm wondering how they connect?  WiFi, Bluetooth, a phone connection (voice or data) or some other wireless format?  That will determine if you can use it or whether there is an additional cost onboard.

Edited by 1985rz1

On 6/14/2020 at 7:57 AM, Guest said:

Hello.

Wondering whether we can use our walk-in talkies when cruising to France and Spain next year on the Sirena.

Thank you.

We always used them but kept running into the ships walkie Talkies so gave up..ship is small enough not to need them and now we find texting much better

If it’s not connected to headphones, anyone using stuff like that should consider how annoying it would be to others. 

I don’t go on holiday to hear other people’s locational conversations. 

• Like 1

Keep your phones in Airplane mode to save potential horrendous fees and just text one another. We usually have several friends with us so a group text connects everyone, or not.  The text will also pop up on your watch. 
If the next question is, “Is it timely?” The answer is not  always. Good thing the ships are smaller and in 5-10 minutes it is easy to check all the frequent hangouts. 
Good  luck and you won’t get lost on O.

Gerry

• Like 1

If I may take it a step farther, we had been Long Time ATT customers but years ago our Apple User Group,s travel guru’s suggested a conversion to T-Mobile. We have saved a ton of money monthly, no special travel program to sign up for with every trip, no data and roaming charges, Senior discounts, Military discounts and great service. I am sure there are cheaper ones out there based on usage patterns and unique needs but it is absolutely the best full featured cell phone plan to have when doing a lot of traveling internationally. IMHO. Of course the cost is so good I have had to add two additional lines for our grandsons. 😁🙏👍💰

Gerry and Bonnie

12 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

If I may take it a step farther, we had been Long Time ATT customers but years ago our Apple User Group,s travel guru’s suggested a conversion to T-Mobile. We have saved a ton of money monthly, no special travel program to sign up for with every trip, no data and roaming charges, Senior discounts, Military discounts and great service. I am sure there are cheaper ones out there based on usage patterns and unique needs but it is absolutely the best full featured cell phone plan to have when doing a lot of traveling internationally. IMHO. Of course the cost is so good I have had to add two additional lines for our grandsons. 😁🙏👍💰

Gerry and Bonnie

Hi,

I can only use Verizon as I live on the Ocean and no other phone company has satellites above us 

so Verizon I stay with..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Gerry and Bonnie

Made the switch to T-MOBILE 2 years ago and have never looked back, the 55+ plan is amazing.  $75/month unlimited everything!