Where to sail from Sept/oct/ nov

seaman11

On 6/25/2020 at 12:46 AM, BirdTravels said:

Even New York is not allowing people from Florida to come to the state without a mandatory quarantine. NY is doing wonderful because their citizens follow the guidance. FL,,, not so much. 

New York had 74% of all deaths in the country.   New York is not doing well!   At all!   New York is just past their peak.   That's the only difference........

14 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

New York had 74% of all deaths in the country.   New York is not doing well!   At all!   New York is just past their peak.   That's the only difference........

New York State has been hit the hardest but 74% is way way off. As of June 27th:

Total USA deaths = 126924

Total NY State deaths = 24830

(24830/126924)x100=19.56%

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

Fortunately New York is doing Very Well. 

• Like 3

On 6/27/2020 at 11:25 AM, Paul Bogle said:

New York State has been hit the hardest but 74% is way way off. As of June 27th:

Total USA deaths = 126924

Total NY State deaths = 24830

(24830/126924)x100=19.56%

Hi - your numbers made me curious - I had never actually thought of what the actual percentages were before.

I just looked on Worldometer  & as of 06/28 - 10:00 PM AK time, the numbers are a little different than what you have posted.

image.png.aec79dc1bd241e433f4e1c5c2a59bd59.png

Total USA deaths = 128,437

Total NY State deaths = 31,484

NY State 24.5% of deaths

Your information may have come from a different source - as I don't believe 6,654 people died in NY State in the past day.

Either way - neither # is 74% - perhaps that was a typo

On 6/26/2020 at 6:03 AM, hamrag said:

An interesting outline of what safeguards Ponant cruises will be introducing, upon returning. Bear in mind they are 'boutique' ships, between 180ish and 260ish passengers, with acres of space! This is direct from the Ponant CEO, not the opinion of any travel agency or similar.

There is no way we would be sailing, with these restrictions in place!

https://fr.calameo.com/read/00013242371fe0f908d85?authid=ekgNT5Wj7RSN

I think, with some minor variations, this is exactly what you will be seeing when mainstream lines start sailing again.

Having sailed on Ponant, even with the pax load being smaller (most of their ships are 264 pax) I would not call the public areas "acres of space".  Most of their ships are only 10,000 tons.  Dining in the dining room felt exactly like dining in an NCL dining room (albeit with much better food).  Same with the lounge during entertainment. 

They will cut the capacity significantly, as will mainstream lines, but I think the procedures and experience will be very similar.

14 hours ago, Von & John said:

Your information may have come from a different source - as I don't believe 6,654 people died in NY State in the past day.

Either way - neither # is 74% - perhaps that was a typo

My numbers came from Johns Hopkins but this illustrates one of the many frustrations about this virus. New numbers seem to be reported in batches. This is especially true though more understandable with testing numbers. The greater frustration for me comes from the lack of consistency as to what constitutes a Covid death. Every jurisdiction seems to use a different definition.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 10:25 AM, joeyancho said:

The Staten Island Ferry is the only sure bet Cruise that there is now. It offers lovely views of the Statue of Liberty and downtown Manhattan. You can BYOB and enjoy it as you sail. The best part about this Cruise is that it is free.

Actually, it isn’t free but it’s currently about the same price as a ride on our subway.  It was always a fun cheap date when we were teenagers back in the 60s.

On 6/27/2020 at 3:07 PM, Vyhanek said:

NYS is doing quite well, thank you.  It is thanks to the diligence of our governor and our health officials.  Yesterday the reported deaths were FIVE.  That’s right five for the whole state.  Our curve is the same as the EU countries that are now able to get back to normal including Italy which three months ago was a basket case.  They did it because they followed prudent health guidelines as did NYers.  Unfortunately some states mostly in the south chose to make a political issue out of it and are now suffering the consequences.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beachcomberbill said:

NYS is doing quite well, thank you.  It is thanks to the diligence of our governor and our health officials.  Yesterday the reported deaths were FIVE.  That’s right five for the whole state.  Our curve is the same as the EU countries that are now able to get back to normal including Italy which three months ago was a basket case.  They did it because they followed prudent health guidelines as did NYers.  Unfortunately some states mostly in the south chose to make a political issue out of it and are now suffering the consequences.

you are making cc great place for politics, anyone know of site where we can chat about cruises?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

you are making cc great place for politics, anyone know of site where we can chat about cruises?

And who would have thought the way it looks now NYC just might have a bettter chance of cruises starting there instead of Fla. or Texas. 

I guess bring proactive instead of reactive might play a part.

With NO cruising what is there to talk about? 

Nickle and Diming

Chair Hogs

Cruiselines taking 90 to refund

New Norm Buffet or No

Masks or no

Social Distancing 

"When will I cruise again"

Is the CDC playing fair

Are cruise lines hoping the CDC relaxes some guidelines 

Cruise lines think the cost of the improvements are prohibitive 

There certainly isn't anything currently related to an actual cruise to talk about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, beachcomberbill said:

How many people did the governor of New York kill by forcing people back into nursing homes from hospitals?  How prudent was it for the governor to encourage people to protest by the thousands during a pandemic? Your post has nothing to do with cruising but to say that the governor is doing a good job during this pandemic is a joke!

Edited by yankees111
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Newleno said:

Newleno: THERE ARE NO CRUISES! Why? Because of a PANDEMIC.  What did Europe and the advanced Asian nations, eg. S.Korea and Japan do about it?  They responded based on the best scientific advice, and in spite of horrible early spikes in countries such as Italy and Spain, they brought it under control to manageable levels.  they were able to do so because of their NATIONAL RESPONSE ACTING AS ONE NATION.  What did WE do?  OUR NATIONAL LEADERSHIP left it to individual states to formulate their own responses, creating 50 DIFFERENT POLICIES on a NATIONAL HEALTH EMERGENCY.  That is not POLITICS.

That’s a fact.  And that’s the reason we can’t chat about cruises,BECAUSE THERE ARE NO CRUISES.   So if you want to stick your head in the sand and be snarky by saying “anyone know of a site where we can chat about cruises?” Go right ahead.  I’m sure I miss cruising as much as the next person.   We were scheduled to take dw on a 15 day cruise to the Baltic for her 70th bd. We were looking forward to that for over a year.  Well, that’s not happening.  YOU KNOW OF A SITE WHERE WE CAN CHAT ABOUT THE BALTIC, NEWLENO?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, hamrag said:

You are a cheerie chap!

Just want to make sure that everyone knows of the latest "Disaster of the Day" from our positive Press.  Killer hornets, deadly dust clouds, now a new type of Swine Flu.  I expect Land Sharks cannot be far behind!!  😄

Edited by GA Dave

20 hours ago, beachcomberbill said:

YOU KNOW OF A SITE WHERE WE CAN CHAT ABOUT THE BALTIC, NEWLENO?

Yes of course I would love to help you and be your "advisor" with travel information, there is a place called "trip" , so you can learn and enjoy  great people sharing information about the baltics.  Have a great day 🌲