Carnival Corp to retire 6 ships in next 90 days

22 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

how far was she towed? Thought would of sailed on her own!

She probably would have come in under her own power (she had engines running), but many congested ports require tugs.  Plus, look at the flags fluttering nearly straight out - that was a very stout wind they were fighting to dock her.

When I look at that ship I see superficial surface corrosion.  All of that could easily be chipped, primed and painted over in about 48 hours.  I also see more balconies on her than possibly other ships in her class.  Interesting.  According to WikiPedia, she is equipped with twin shafts, and fore/aft thrusters - no azipods.  That could be a handicap.  Maybe.

• Like 1

So just before I head to my Q and A and morning of fun here on the Carnival Conquest I wanted to chat about something and answer a questions some of you have been asking me in recent days.

I’ve been hearing from guests about the exterior condition of certain ships in the fleet, most especially as it relates to rust that is visible on hulls, balconies, railings and other public areas.

Please know that we are also unhappy with the situation and have a high-level working group to find both short-term and permanent solutions.

This matter started with a paint product that clearly did not deliver what it promised to do, and in fact, actually promoted the growth of rust. We have obviously changed vendors and do not use that paint any longer, but it will take some time to bring the fleet back up to the standards both our guests and crew expect.

We have assembled our own SWAT teams to address situations we can easily address. But this effort is complicated by environmental rules and regulations and our commitment to best practices. We are no longer able to paint and conduct certain cleaning/scraping procedures in certain ports. We must also be mindful of using the most environmentally-friendly cleaning and paint products that protect the health of our guests, crew and the ocean. So while we can conduct some spot repairs and urgent touch-ups, much of this work may have to wait until dry-docks.

I want to assure you this situation is certainly not purposeful or out of neglect. We are dedicated to making improvements as quickly as possible......

• Like 1

Yet more fanciful PR talk from that well known "personality"

Over the years cruising, you could always spot a poorly maintained looking Carnival ship, last one I saw was Sensation and it looked horrible compared to Armonia that you would struggle to find a single speck of rust on.

Also, Fascination looked to have quite bad rust along the panel welds, I would not want to see that on my ship.

9 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

Yet more fanciful PR talk from that well known "personality"

Over the years cruising, you could always spot a poorly maintained looking Carnival ship, last one I saw was Sensation and it looked horrible compared to Armonia that you would struggle to find a single speck of rust on.

Also, Fascination looked to have quite bad rust along the panel welds, I would not want to see that on my ship.

Or it could be just the way they say....