Carnival Corp to retire 6 ships in next 90 days

Well not to bring bad news, but their numbers kept changing from 9 to 13 and I've heard as many as 15 to 19 ships that they may  get rid of. Several of the ships mentioned above were already scheduled to transfer prior to the shutdown. The only current ones are : Oceana, Costa Victoria, Costa neoRomantica, Fantasy, Inspiration, Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam and Amsterdam. I figure that the laid up Imagination and Fascination will end up being sold in the 60-90 days as was previously talked about. I anticipate several more departing by the end of September.

10 minutes ago, Captain Rhone said:

Well not to bring bad news, but their numbers kept changing from 9 to 13 and I've heard as many as 15 to 19 ships that they may  get rid of. Several of the ships mentioned above were already scheduled to transfer prior to the shutdown. The only current ones are : Oceana, Costa Victoria, Costa neoRomantica, Fantasy, Inspiration, Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam and Amsterdam. I figure that the laid up Imagination and Fascination will end up being sold in the 60-90 days as was previously talked about. I anticipate several more departing by the end of September.

reference for the numbers?

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 12:48 AM, sealynx said:

Just a quick wrap up. Carnival announced 13 ships to leave the fleet. So far they've named: Costa Mediteranea, Costa Atlantica, Pacific Area, Pacific Dawn, Costa Victoria, Costa neoRomantica, Oceana, Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Fantasy and Inspiration. So, I guess we won't be getting any more bad news. That is good news as well, isn't it?

Pacific Aria and Pacific Dawn were schedule to go to CMV, which is now in administration. I wonder what the future holds for these 2 ships?

Well the most recent report I have pulled back up so far indicates the 13, of which we only know 9 of the ships right now, unless you include the two that are now going into layup (Imagination and Fascination) which I am sure will probably not return to the fleet anyway and I'm sure will eventually just be sold. So atleast 2 new ones if not 4 more will be announced by October.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23218-carnival-corporation-to-sell-13-cruise-ships.html

There are more reports out there that I will have to dig back up.

12 hours ago, Captain Rhone said:

Well the most recent report I have pulled back up so far indicates the 13, of which we only know 9 of the ships right now, unless you include the two that are now going into layup (Imagination and Fascination) which I am sure will probably not return to the fleet anyway and I'm sure will eventually just be sold. So atleast 2 new ones if not 4 more will be announced by October.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23218-carnival-corporation-to-sell-13-cruise-ships.html

There are more reports out there that I will have to dig back up.

If you read that article closely it says:

"Carnival said these agreements are in addition to the sale of four ships, which were announced prior to fiscal 2020." and "In total, the 13 ships expected to leave the fleet represent a nearly nine percent reduction in current capacity."

So, there you go.

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Will a huge capacity reduction result in much higher prices?

That depends on demand.

If sailings don't get booked with the same enthusiasm as pre-COVID-19, even accounting for the capacity reductions, prices might stay low for a while.

4 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

That depends on demand.

If sailings don't get booked with the same enthusiasm as pre-COVID-19, even accounting for the capacity reductions, prices might stay low for a while.

True, but one thing that might drive demand up for a while is all the future cruise credits out there with use it or lose it expiration dates.

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

Update: Since the Tradewinds publication, Carnival Corporation has strongly denied the possibility that the two cruise brands could be sold.

Beware of false prophets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Update: Since the Tradewinds publication, Carnival Corporation has strongly denied the possibility that the two cruise brands could be sold.

Beware of false prophets.

At the moment, the cruise lines would welcome real profits.😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At the moment, the cruise lines would welcome real profits.[emoji2]
The Cruise lines will start sailing sooner or later, but I doubt they will even break even, let alone make profits for a long time.
it really doesn't matter, because we want to enjoy cruising again

4 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Thank you for your service!

It was my pleasure.

While I bellyached and complained a lot (as any 17 year old would), after six years that really seemed to drag out, I left the service with a skill that has kept me in well-paying jobs for over 35 years now.

I feel that I have my country to thank for making it all possible.  I've lived a comfortable life because of that experience.  Not rich, but certainly middle-middle class.  Quite a step up from my upbringing (and siblings, still locked in poverty).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, roeco9084 said:

Does anyone know where they are laying up the Imagination and Fascination? I know the Imagination is heading to Freeport (def a layup contender) But the Fascination is in Cadiz Spain??  Would they lay it up their maybe?

If Fascination ever re-enters service, she will need her routine drydock. Might as well give that business to the yard at Cadiz where Victory is being transformed into Radiance.

2 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Video of Fascination arrival at Cadiz 

look at all that rust. 😞

i'd imagine ALL the ships on all the cruise lines look like this after 4 months of minimum crew? (ie: noone to scrub out the rust cause by salt water + paint while docked?)

or is this how Carnivale ships normally look like? :o

Edited by fstuff1

7 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

look at all that rust. 😞

i'd imagine ALL the ships on all the cruise lines look like this after 4 months of minimum crew? (ie: noone to scrub out the rust cause by salt water + paint while docked?)

or is this how Carnivale ships normally look like? 😮

how far was she towed? Thought would of sailed on her own!

This, watching the Carnival Fascination, made me so SAD. 😞 I was hoping that I would be able to take my 3 sons/3 d-i-l's to St. Lucia, as THIS was the ship that was to take us there.

I did hear from my PVP wanting me to contact her, but I cannot make any plans until we seen his this virus is going. 😞

• Like 1