Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

2 minutes ago, emam said:

Those ships are also on the 2019 list of 40 ships for sale.

Astoria

Marco Polo

Marella

Saga

P&O Aria (Oz)

Carnival Fantasy

Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Inspiration

Sun Princess

Plus many more.

For clarification Marella and Saga are cruise lines not ships. Marella have 'retired' Celebration and Dream is pretty ancient so she could go, leaving 4 ships, the 2 Explorers and the 2 Discoveries.. Saga have their new ship? with another one due next summer - maybe, which leaves Sapphire? for disposal

4 minutes ago, emam said:

Just do a search for the words to watch the video. ☺

Ohhhh! Video internet = YouTube! I got it now 🙂 Thanks!  

Indeed Sun Princess is on there:  https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/commercial-vessels-cruise-ship/584501

On the bright side it doesnt seem like any P&O UK ships are listed.

Edited by DS_Dean

7 minutes ago, davecttr said:

For clarification Marella and Saga are cruise lines not ships. Marella have 'retired' Celebration and Dream is pretty ancient so she could go, leaving 4 ships, the 2 Explorers and the 2 Discoveries.. Saga have their new ship? with another one due next summer - maybe, which leaves Sapphire? for disposal

I know, I started off adding some names but I didn't know if I could name them all on here. Carnival is to do with P&O so thought they would be okay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DS_Dean said:

However.. the North Shields berth has me a little worried. She is due to stay for 3 months (source) and incidentally Carnival announced the six ships would be leaving the fleet within 90 days. 😕 Other ships seem to be on the move a bit more whereas Oceana seems to be in a more significant cold lay up than the rest of the fleet. Do we know if Oceana has left the port at all?

none of the P&O ships are in ‘cold’ layup as that would infer the ships are effectively ‘turned off’ with a handful of people or less onboard for the sole purpose of keeping a few lights on.  If the ship were to go ‘cold’ it would shut down all non essential services and be tied up somewhere less public like a cargo berth in the middle of nowhere.

the fact Oceana is berthed in an accessible location would indicate they are still in ‘warm’ layup meaning they still have enough essential crew to sail on short notice and all of the internal aspects are running (ie. lights and water).  If the ship weren’t close to an international airport I would hazard a guess that the numbers of people onboard was in the dozens as opposed to hundreds.  

Edited by Captain_Morgan
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Is she making the regular trips to sea to dump grey water, like all the others are doing?

Oceana is not leaving till September 15th.

No visitors allowed on board and 170 crew have no shore leave.

To date as far as I am aware she has not moved.

We might pop along to South Shields today as we live south of the Tyne and will get a good view of Oceana across the river.

Screenshot_20200624_084944_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bee-ess said:

I wonder if she will do the Arabian Gulf season starting at the end of October. Although the ship would have to sail to Dubai first. 

She is scheduled to leave Newcastle on September 15th so plenty of time to get to Dubai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

She is scheduled to leave Newcastle on September 15th so plenty of time to get to Dubai.

I hope she can go to Dubai as they lost the Arabian gulf season earlier this year. We have friends who missed that and have rebooked for this year so hope they are lucky.

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 1

I must admit, you'd think that as she appears to be in North Shields till mid September, you'd think that the crew remaining on board would be taking care of things like keeping the exterior paintwork spick and span.  Even if only you've got a couple of crew on that bit of routine maintenance.

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I must admit, you'd think that as she appears to be in North Shields till mid September, you'd think that the crew remaining on board would be taking care of things like keeping the exterior paintwork spick and span.  Even if only you've got a couple of crew on that bit of routine maintenance.

I agree.

RCL crew are always keeping their ships tidy and I often we see them painting the ship sides when in port and the decks of the ship when sailing.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It looks as though some painting has already started  unless that's a big shadow from an overfed seagull!

The painted red white and blue  front looks good but there are numerous rust stains running down the ship side from most windows and the ship looks like it needs a good painting.

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree.

RCL crew are always keeping their ships tidy and I often we see them painting the ship sides when in port and the decks of the ship when sailing.

I've seen the same when sailing on both Oriana and Aurora. I guess they feel there's not much point doing it now whilst she is subject to the vagaries of the British Summer and salt water. I guess she will get a wash and brush up closer to resumption of service.

Edited by Britboys

0fedafa42a643cf673207029d0cad948.jpg

Well we saw her last week and the painting was going on on the port side in fact they were at it when we were there. She looked a lot better than when she came into the Tyne.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, daiB said:

0fedafa42a643cf673207029d0cad948.jpg

Well we saw her last week and the painting was going on on the port side in fact they were at it when we were there. She looked a lot better than when she came into the Tyne.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's encouraging.

We were at South Shields today parked by the customs House looking across the Tyne and the starboard side today looked a lot worse than the port side did a few weeks ago when we visited North Shields the day after Oceana arrived.

Graham

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It's lovely up North.

The beach at South Shields is amazing.

Graham

IMG-20200624-WA0000.jpg

For those down south. What Graham is sitting on is called sand. It's what the beaches are made of up here!😜😃

• Like 3