Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

5 minutes ago, besberry said:

I see that Carnival are getting rid of six ships, supposedly over the next 90 days.  No names given, although Costa Vitoria was mentioned.  Think a P&O ship could be on the block?

Who is likely to buy an old cruise ship in the current climate?

Oceana maybe ?

It cannot be PO Oceana.

It has sailings from late October 2020 onwards.

Costa neoclassica was sold to Bahamas Paradise while Costa neoriviera was sold to sister company AIDA.

Costa Victoria is being sold to an Italian shipyard.

4 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

I believe the Oriana had sailings planned and booked before they sold her. So its unfortunatly still possible.

Absolutely - future bookings mean nothing.

However,  given that CMV may go broke, the market for cruise ships,  as mentioned earlier, is not great at the moment.

I suppose P&O/Carnival may decide that if they have to operate Oceana at 75% capacity,  they will be making a loss on every cruise,  and it would be cheaper to write her off. 

Oceana tends to be sent to warmer climes for the winter as not brilliant as a poor weather ship.  Fly cruises may not be easy to sell in the near future, so I wonder.  I also wonder if Fred may have an interest.  Not a good time to buy, but if the price is right and would be time to renovate now probably at the right price as well.  If CMV go down it would be an advantage to Fred as he could offer a number of departure ports with smaller ships with better (IMO) itineraries compared to other cruise lines.  Quite a number of people may be interested in that rather than the newer monsters and limited ports.

Edited by tring

I agree - it seems as if the rumblings around Oceana might have some credibility with this announcement - as much as it's possible, the six are from the rest of the brand umbrella.  What will be interesting is to see any announcement around "Iona 2"

If investment in the sister ship continues, it shows that Carnival have capital to invest and feel like the British cruise market will return strongly, eventually.  

Matched with a possible sale of Oceana, if the rumour is true, also would be clear that the pandemic is not really influencing perspectives over what type of product P&O offers in the Carnival family longer term.

However, as much as I like both Arcadia and Aurora, I would have thought that the natural choice would be to decommission the smaller ships, with reference to age, so peculiar on this front.

1 hour ago, drsel said:

It cannot be PO Oceana.

It has sailings from late October 2020 onwards.

Costa neoclassica was sold to Bahamas Paradise while Costa neoriviera was sold to sister company AIDA.

Costa Victoria is being sold to an Italian shipyard.

Look what happened the Adonia with cruises booked. Passengers got £100 compensation for being dumped from their booked cruises.

Problem with selling off old cruise ships is that they will not realise a lot of money and who gets them might be able to market extremely cheap cruises as a rival operator.  This will make your problems even worse.

Regards John

42 minutes ago, john watson said:

Problem with selling off old cruise ships is that they will not realise a lot of money and who gets them might be able to market extremely cheap cruises as a rival operator.  This will make your problems even worse.

Regards John

In the Carnival update it said most were going to scrap or being sold at a lower price to companies on the condition that they couldn't be used for cruises.

1 minute ago, Monorail Orange said:

Given their age, I'm not surprised those are the six that are being retired.

Yes, they are all quite long in the tooth. In comparison, P&Os oldest ships Oceana and Aurora both launched in 2000

Yep. I'm sure they're as modern as they can be refitted but a 30 year old ship will definately have some 'quirks'. (to be polite).

Edit: Found this. She doesn't look that dated. Although I'm disgusted at the use of Comic Sans in the sign for the Art Gallery. I don't care if she's a ship of the 90s that's just wrong!

Edited by Monorail Orange

12 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Given their age, I'm not surprised those are the six that are being retired.

Sorry if I am missing something...are there not eight in this list, not six?

Are we sure that it is this six / eight that are being referred to?

If so, are the P&O Ships safe?

Long day, may just be me...😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Sorry if I am missing something...are there not eight in this list, not six?

Are we sure that it is this six / eight that are being referred to?

If so, are the P&O Ships safe?

Long day, may just be me...😁

I think that's a list of eight of which six are under consideration.

And from what I can tell, it may not be all six from Carnival. Could be just two of those listed and the rest from the other fleets.