Ships hanging off the Philippines and Joy docked.

roger001

Escape has a long journey ahead with 2 stops, based on the unofficial schedule posted earlier and is already running behind by a week+  ... unless they can be speed up, won't reach its last stop on this sailing until mid July.  Then, more waits for the home country's public health authorities to test all the crew for Covid-19, wait for the results (3 days later, or more) and then cleared to finally disembark/leave their ship.  

Background - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/02/locked-down-afloat-why-dozens-of-cruise-ships-ended-up-stranded-in-manila-bay

A very slow process for these OFWs - https://news.mb.com.ph/2020/06/20/owwa-ofws-returning-to-home-provinces-already-cleared-of-covid-19/

Been looking at that flotilla of ships anchored in the Manila Bay for weeks now, a few had left the area & gone elsewhere, presumably their repatriated crews had been cleared and disembarked - and, those lucky ships get to move onward, while the rest of them wait for their turns.  Those on the Joy could be home by early/mid July but for those on the Escape, possibly not till this August.  Meanwhle, folks hoping and dreaming of cruising soon ... sure, why not think positive. 

Well...although it appears that the Joy will still be sitting in Manila bay in the middle of July unloading crew, NCL is still selling tickets on her for Alaska cruises starting Sept. 7th, with a stop in Canada.  She is still listed on the NCL site with Alaska cruises for the whole month of Sept.  And I just got an NCL email reminding me to book quickly because the 5 bennies package is only good until June 30th.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

Well...although it appears that the Joy will still be sitting in Manila bay in the middle of July unloading crew, NCL is still selling tickets on her for Alaska cruises starting Sept. 7th, with a stop in Canada.  She is still listed on the NCL site with Alaska cruises for the whole month of Sept.  And I just got an NCL email reminding me to book quickly because the 5 bennies package is only good until June 30th.  

NCL never ceases to amaze me with their ability to confuse (aka mislead !!!)  us .

• Like 2

We live in Bournemouth 30 miles from Southampton we now have 4 ships in the Bay including the QE II. It is great going for a alk on the cliffs and looking out at these magnificent ships but so sad they are not plying their trade. We miss cruising so much 2021 is sadly looking likely 😞.

Unofficially we hear all TA cruises cancelled this autumn from the UK so even with CDC releasing no sail nothing will come to UK .

4 hours ago, jaja said:

NCL never ceases to amaze me with their ability to confuse (aka mislead !!!)  us .

6 hours ago, roger001 said:

The journey to Manila took less than a month, leaving Los Angeles on May 21 arriving on June 19. What is misleading?

5 hours ago, bmwman said:

We live in Bournemouth 30 miles from Southampton we now have 4 ships in the Bay including the QE II. It is great going for a alk on the cliffs and looking out at these magnificent ships but so sad they are not plying their trade. We miss cruising so much 2021 is sadly looking likely 😞.

Queen Mary 2 is in Weymouth bay. Queen Victoria is off Portsmouth. Queen Elizabeth is with the flotilla in Manila bay. The QE 2 is sadly a floating hotel in Dubai. Thw QE 2 was a grand ship and we sailed on her many times. A true ocean liner (vs cruise ships of today). We were sad when Cunard sold her. 

• 2 weeks later...