Tax credits for tourism? Explore America tax credit

WAMarathoner

29 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

A dollar spent on food doesn’t end there either.  So why not expand food stamps instead.  A dollar spent in rent doesn’t end there either so why no give a tax credit for rent so folks don’t get evicted.  A dollar spent installing plexiglass sneeze guards on every school desk doesn’t end there.  Plenty of alternative stimulus packages exist.  This one benefits those people who can afford vacations and the president himself.  

Yes, I already agreed there may be better approaches.  Expanding credits for rent is interesting.  It is beneficial to have discussion about options.  Unfortunately,  it is your last sentence that makes it political.  

Edit: Sorry Ed, I didn't mean it to sound harsh.  I'm just into solutions these days I guess.  My new mantra, haha.

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Could you help her out by going to the website (I don't have it at hand), I think its something like "where's my check" and see if she has any status?  She may have had to manually enter her address and if she wanted an e-check, her bank info.  I've heard that some seniors had this issue.  

There are some articles out there that say some people haven't received their money yet and may not get it until the end of the year.  I'm so sorry she is having trouble.  I know what it is like to need that money (it paid my mortgage for 1 month).

I do appreciate your suggestion, but while we are friends, I am reluctant to ask her for her bank information, SS number, etc. that probably would be required.  I have provided her with the suggestions others have made.  If such does not work, then, perhaps I will feel a bit more "aggressive" in trying to help her.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:10 PM, ilikeanswers said:

Actually I think you might have missed my point😉. I understand the intention I just don't think it will work in practice. My experience is the people who had their trips to Fiji cancelled are not going to suddenly book a trip to Cairns. They generally will save their refunded money to try again next year for the trip they want. Yes there travellers who just enjoy travel and will find something iof interest in any destination but we will travel with or without a tax credit so that won't change anything. I think most travellers have a destination preference and they are unlikey to be swayed by any tax credit.

Maybe maybe not.

If I had booked Fiji and could not go.  I would travel domestically.  Lots of things to do and see in the US.

This is for the people on the fence.  Maybe they will travel, maybe they don't, but with a 50% tax CREDIT (meaning your trip will cost be half), it may tip them to traveling.

• Like 2