Disney World before/after cruise

LeeW

For those who have Disney booked before or after their cruise, the new Park Reservation System is open today (you must have both a reservation and ticket through September of 2021).  Park reservations are required on top of tickets, and having a hotel reservation doesn't guarantee entry.  Took around 4 hours to get mine.  Folks with multiple bookings are sometimes hitting a random "exceeded maximum reservations" error, so book from the back end of your vacation toward the beginning.  Takes a long time to get logged on to your account so work-around is make a dining reservation for Disney Springs near term until it asks for you to log in, log in and cancel dining, then use "Park Reservation" pulldown on the MDE tab and select "Make a reservation" on that page.  This gets you past the initial login wait, although it is still long.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/#/reservations-accepted

Of course my cruises are being cancelled this week - not sure if we will fly to Florida just for four days at Disney World.

Well, this seems like a bright idea: going to Disney before cruising.  If someone happens to pick up the virus there and will surely boards a ship as the virus has an incubation period.  Problem is there is enough time for someone to become contagious (,with or without symptoms) and this is how a ship becomes a floating incubator, everyone quarantined in their rooms, many more days than planned....   

• Like 8

CV19 has given Disney what they have always wanted...an Elitest park. We use to go yearly and when they latest trips when we can go approached $5k, I was done ($750 per day for 3 of us). They will continue with this model but modify it more. They will start to have the park registration openings by Resort level soon. Something like at 30-days out Deluxe resorts can register for their park, at 25-days Moderate resorts, at 20-days Value and Campgrouds, and finally at 15-days anyone not staying on Disney property.

• Like 1

We had the perfect trip planned this summer....4 days at Disney + 4 night Mariner cruise.  

Cruise is cancelled.  Didn't bother registering parks yesterday as we are going to cancel (but we have tickets and even our resort is one of the first ones opening).  So sad as it all was perfect...esp with the extra week of summer this year so the dates worked out to go to Disney first and still fit it all in before school.

I heard there were lots of issues with the system.  I may sign in for the fun of it to take a look (but won't book as I don't want to book up a spot when we won't be going anyways...just can't get around to cancelling).

8 hours ago, bigrednole said:

CV19 has given Disney what they have always wanted...an Elitest park. We use to go yearly and when they latest trips when we can go approached $5k, I was done ($750 per day for 3 of us). They will continue with this model but modify it more. They will start to have the park registration openings by Resort level soon. Something like at 30-days out Deluxe resorts can register for their park, at 25-days Moderate resorts, at 20-days Value and Campgrouds, and finally at 15-days anyone not staying on Disney property.

Oh yes this is exactly what Disney, hotels partially closed or entirely closed.  Fewer people spending money on souviners.  Disney all about the revenue

3 hours ago, boatseller said:

ccv aside, it's better to cruise after Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando.

Theme park vacations are grueling if you're on a schedule so a cruise is the perfect way to recover.

We actually like to do theme parks post cruise.  It allows us to more easily adjust to reality by not immediately going home.  We are not commando type park users has we have been so many times we don't feel the need to try to do it all.

3 hours ago, boatseller said:

ccv aside, it's better to cruise after Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando.

Theme park vacations are grueling if you're on a schedule so a cruise is the perfect way to recover.

Amen. We haven’t done Disney/cruise back to back, but we’ve done Legoland/cruise back to back. We were thankful that we could unwind and relax on a cruise after spending a few days in the grueling July Florida heat. 

The time we decided to do Disney Parks and a Disney Cruise the same year , we flew down to do the parks in October for 6 days and then we returned the following month for the 7 day cruise. I remember being exhausted after the parks but not after the cruise. 

I like to go to Disney World before and after a cruise out of Port Canaveral - especially if it's a Disney cruise. However, I have no plans to cruise out of Florida, or return to WDW until late 2021 at the earliest. I want to wait until after WDW's 50th anniversary celebration starts in October 2021.

In the past, I tend to do Walt Disney World pre-cruise if sailing out of Port Canaveral / Tampa and post-cruise if sailing out of Miami / Fort Lauderdale. Most often I like to do Disney before a cruise because I tend to spend the most money at Disney so get the expensive part of the trip out of the way first. 

On 6/23/2020 at 3:27 AM, bigrednole said:

20-30 yrs ago my Family of 5 on a 7nite Cruise was more then what we spent on a week in Orlando. For while now Cruise is cheaper trip. Miss the days of $20 day and less at Amusement Parks, don't miss days when cost over $3000 for 2 of us 7nites on a Deck 2 tiny Porthole OV Sovereign(Majesty) Cabin

5 hours ago, SkaterJasp said:

In the past, I tend to do Walt Disney World pre-cruise if sailing out of Port Canaveral / Tampa and post-cruise if sailing out of Miami / Fort Lauderdale. Most often I like to do Disney before a cruise because I tend to spend the most money at Disney so get the expensive part of the trip out of the way first. 

smart thinking 

41 minutes ago, SRF said:

*****, you book into a Disney hotel and then may not be able to go to the park??????

That is serious lose-lose

Depends on the hotel.  We have been without going to the parks.  Lay by the pool, got to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs.  Visit the outlet malls/Mall of Millenia. etc.

Even when WDW opens it is not going to be the Disney most of us remember.  The most magical place on earth will be the land of "no".  No fireworks, shows, character interactions, parades, park hopping the list goes on.  Transportation, hotels and rides will all be subject to social distance rules et al.  Why would anyone spend the big money it costs for a Disney vacation and not get the real experience.   Have  been to Universal already (have an annual pass) and will not be back it is not the same...

I had a big Disney trip planned for early October.  I have cancelled it.  The cost is more than 3x-4x my typical cruise.  If i'm going to budget that much money, I do not want a abbreviated experience.  Also, I don't want the chance of catching anything considering Florida is spiking severely over the weekend.  This weekend's numbers of infection is almost 1/2 of what my State has since the onset of this pandemic.  I'm kind of doubting that Florida will allow it to open when Disney wants to.  But hey, the amount I saved by not going to Disney, I could book 3 cruises!!!  

And in answering the OP question, I would not cruise and do Disney together.  There is a lot of things going on in Disney and like cruising, you need time to acclimate yourself to the Disney way of life.  My cancelled trip was 8 nights.  I did 10 nights the last time I went, and it was perfect.  I didn't have to run around, i could do things at a leisurely pace.  4 nights is too short in my opinion, but that's just me.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:51 AM, gatour said:

Depends on the hotel.  We have been without going to the parks.  Lay by the pool, got to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs.  Visit the outlet malls/Mall of Millenia. etc.

A lot of MUCH cheaper hotels in the area. 😄

We did Disney before our cruise last year and I have to say we needed the cruise to get over 6 days we did at Disney. I could never imagine relaxing for a week and then 6 days of madness and flying home.

On 6/29/2020 at 12:40 PM, CelticMCO said:

Even when WDW opens it is not going to be the Disney most of us remember.  The most magical place on earth will be the land of "no".  No fireworks, shows, character interactions, parades, park hopping the list goes on.  Transportation, hotels and rides will all be subject to social distance rules et al.  Why would anyone spend the big money it costs for a Disney vacation and not get the real experience.   Have  been to Universal already (have an annual pass) and will not be back it is not the same...

Because less people.  That is worth a lot, to a lot of people.