Greenland

jeanine

9 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I thought the hot dogs were good but nothing special.  They are popular because they are only $5 (or something like that) which is cheap in Iceland.

We liked them. The two different 'styles' of onions particularly.

31 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I thought the hot dogs were good but nothing special.  They are popular because they are only $5 (or something like that) which is cheap in Iceland.

Perhaps they taste better after a brennivín or two....

• Haha 1

Nothing special -- but I thought they were from Lamb and not pork.   Certainly a cheap meal where a burger will cost you $20..   Maybe Bill Clinton is also a Cheap Charlie 🙂

Edited by PaulMCO

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Nothing special -- but I thought they were from Lamb and not pork.   Certainly a cheap meal where a burger will cost you $20..   Maybe Bill Clinton is also a Cheap Charlie 🙂

I just checked and see that they're lamb,beef and pork. BTW, their lamb is extraordinary!

Edited by clo

3 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes we had a couple of $29 hamburgers.

19 hours ago, mandys mommy said:

We took the Oceania Riveria cruise last year starting on Sept 10th in Reykjavik, Iceland, then to Isafjordor, Iceland, Denmark Strait, Prince Christian Sound in Greenland, Qaqortoq, Greenland, Paamuit, Greenland and Nuk, Greenland.  We had beautiful weather except for one day in Iceland.  We really enjoyed Greenland, its people and the beautiful scenery.  The scenery was exceptional when we cruised through Prince Christian Sound. I am sure that you will have a great time.

Plus 1.

3 minutes ago, redraider1966 said:

Plus 1.

Agree.  One thing to avoid is taking this cruise too early in the summer.  Sometimes those in late June/early July may find Greenland not so green (Ice Bound) with Christian Sound being closed.  We did an expedition cruise several years ago leaving from Norway up through the arctic to Iceland and then to Greenland.  The ice was so think even a Class 1B ship could not get through and we returned to Iceland,

We couldn’t make it through the Sound last August. Multiple icebergs were being reported and with 30-50 foot seas, the Captain said he couldn’t see them! 😳

We made anchorage in a small eastern port for the day, before heading back to Iceland. 

Loved Iceland and would return. Greenland, been there, done that, one day was enough.

33 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

We couldn’t make it through the Sound last August. Multiple icebergs were being reported and with 30-50 foot seas, the Captain said he couldn’t see them! 😳

We made anchorage in a small eastern port for the day, before heading back to Iceland. 

Loved Iceland and would return. Greenland, been there, done that, one day was enough.

The ideal time to do this is late Aug - early Sept.

That is when we did NW passage that started in Greenland though we still needed an icebreaker ahead of us  in one part of N Canadian coast (but not in Greenland)

Interesting convo about the dates. I'm currently looking at a Hurtigruten cruise that goes May 9th!

The Sirena cruise I have booked is mid-August. 

Hmmm....  Though to be fair the Hurtigruten cruise does mainly southern Greenland and does not include the Prince William Sound cruising.

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Interesting convo about the dates. I'm currently looking at a Hurtigruten cruise that goes May 9th!

The Sirena cruise I have booked is mid-August. 

Hmmm....  Though to be fair the Hurtigruten cruise does mainly southern Greenland and does not include the Prince William Sound cruising.

I would think there is still too much ice and icebergs floating in May.

14 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I would think there is still too much ice and icebergs floating in May.

Yes, I did ask that question when I called but basically got told it would be fine.

And pinotlover above ran into icebergs (well, not literally :classic_biggrin:) even in August, so who knows...