Frankly, I'm Really Worried....

Lovincruisin1321

We’re also in the “wait until 2022” camp and will be monitoring Cruise Critic to see how voyages are going after ships have been sailing for a while. After 30+ cruises we hope we’ll be back onboard someday. But for now, we’ve purchased a little travel trailer and are enjoying “socially distant” travel exploring areas of the West we hadn’t visited before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I wouldn’t say that I am worried about the state of future cruises and our enjoyment of them.

My DH and I have enjoyed many cruises ranging from the Big Red Boat to Cunard QE 2,although most of the cruises were on Princess.

The way things are going due to Covid-19,  Cruise vacations may be a past chapter in our lives.

We will move on to other types of vacations,maybe...hopefully.

If I want to worry,I will be concerned with two friends who are fighting cancer in this awful pandemic,or a friend who lost a husband in the early Spring and we have yet to give her a hug and our respects to a very good man, or how my goddaughter is feeling after postponing her wedding from this September to next September, or not being able to hold our new grandniece who turned 6 months old today.

There are many things my DH and I can be concerned about at this time. But,following the AA prayer....give me the strength to change what I can,accept what I can’t  and the ability to know the difference (I am paraphrasing a bit)

This is my view.

Thank you.....we do need a reality check of much worse struggles.

Why spend even 30 seconds worrying about it?  You have no control and cannot impact this.

Better to spend you time looking forward and having a plan B for your future travel plans just in case cruising goes south for a few years.

We do not understand this worrying or this fretting business over a cruise. Might be different if our employment depended on it but fortunately it does not.  Talk about a first world problem!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, iancal said:

Why spend even 30 seconds worrying about it?  You have no control and cannot impact this.

Better to spend you time looking forward and having a plan B for your future travel plans just in case cruising goes south for a few years.

Very true but the threads were becoming dull and I wanted to drum up some discussion.  It also was therapeutic to type out my "worry" which is more of a concern and a deflated emotion about future cruising if we head in this direction.  Guess I am not a big fan of change, but that is life.....change.  I just have to pull up my "Big Girl Cruising Pants"!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We enjoy cruising.  We are using this time to do research on travel destinations that are at the top of our bucket lists.  Some familiar, some new.   Thailand, Oz, India, Kenya, Morocco, Greece/Turkey/Cyprus, Iberia, etc.   So many interesting places to go.  On sea or on land.     We feel fortunate that we have our health, no covid, and are not financially compromised by the current situation.  It is all good despite this bump in the road.  We consider ourselves to be extremely fortunate.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

Not worried at all.  If cruising is re-introduced in the near future, we shall adapt to however the rules are written.  Enjoying oneself and one's company are all about attitude.  Look at the reintroduction as something completely new and give it a shot.  Don't try to compare it to anything pre-COVID because no aspect of life may ever be the same as pre-COVID.  Once you give it a try, then decide on it's merits if you would crusie again.  

That being said, I believe cruising will potentially be better once we get past this stage in life.  Perhaps less crowded...better ways to serve in the buffets...people actually being cognizant of hand washing and eliminating issues like Norovirus...who knows!!!  We shall see and until then I shall stay excited about what the future brings!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, skynight said:

Our view is no cruises until at least 2022, assuming that this timing will be post vaccines, post pandemic. If the cruise experience at that time isn't one we would enjoy then we'll just pass and find other recreational experiences. 

That's what we're doing, but luckily for us that was planned before the pandemic... I'm super glad that we bought a camper last year! Talk about the ultimate way to social distance while seeing some beautiful countryside, plus we can take our dogs and know whose been sleeping the bed!

53 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Very true but the threads were becoming dull and I wanted to drum up some discussion.  It also was therapeutic to type out my "worry" which is more of a concern and a deflated emotion about future cruising if we head in this direction.  Guess I am not a big fan of change, but that is life.....change.  I just have to pull up my "Big Girl Cruising Pants"!

I just want to echo what you're saying here. I am mostly a lurker on these forums, but I have a little more time on my hands now than normal and just wanted to come somewhere online that I would find people that enjoy the same thing I do. I sort of just wanted to escape. Shocking, right? Obviously in the big scheme of things cruising is a big fat nothing burger. My level of "worry" about anything related to cruising is zero on a scale of 1-10 if you want to put it vs. anything that really does matter. On behalf of everyone who has posted anything about worry, minor grievances, hopes for future cruising, etc. etc., it should really go without saying that none of us really think that anything cruise related is more important than just about anything! I didn't take your post as a first world complaint, but exactly what it is: just a post about cruising on a cruising forum. Thank you for posting! It was actually interesting to hear other people's perspectives on what they think future cruising might look like. When I shut my browser down I can be bombarded with all the real worries of the day, but I enjoyed the brief departure I got while reading your post.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Not worried at all.  If cruising is re-introduced in the near future, we shall adapt to however the rules are written.  Enjoying oneself and one's company are all about attitude.  Look at the reintroduction as something completely new and give it a shot.  Don't try to compare it to anything pre-COVID because no aspect of life may ever be the same as pre-COVID.  Once you give it a try, then decide on it's merits if you would crusie again.  

That being said, I believe cruising will potentially be better once we get past this stage in life.  Perhaps less crowded...better ways to serve in the buffets...people actually being cognizant of hand washing and eliminating issues like Norovirus...who knows!!!  We shall see and until then I shall stay excited about what the future brings!!

I like your attitude!   Very wise words have come out on this thread that I can adapt.  So true, we always focus on the negative but yes, there will be new and improved protocols that will be developed out of this to enhance the "health" of cruising.

Btw, another cool observation (wow, I haven't even had coffee yet!).....Do you realize that even though we experience evolution every second, this is a quite an impact that will make it in history of time; in our lifetime!  It's how we evolve with technology, communication, schooling, parenting, working, shopping, and of course....traveling.   It is forcing some real positives in creative thinking.   I just wanted to share because as crucial as this is, it is amazing to actually live through this era and be part of history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I'm optimistic or maybe I just refuse to be all "doom and gloom", but I feel that cruising will get back to what we know. There are certain things they can enforce and change with protocols, like no self serve buffet or ice cream, etc...but people are natural born social beings. We need the interaction with fellow humans. God intended us to be that way, he didn't leave Adam alone did he? I mean, people are going to naturally socialize and talk with other people...if they choose to. You may not have large tables in the dining room...but there will be a table close by that you can still chat with a fellow cruiser. We actually prefer to have a table for two because 1)you never know what kind of table mates you might end up with that could either dominate the entire table conversation, come in drunk, or be just flat out awkward; 2) we personally like to talk about what we plan on doing the rest of the evening, or what we enjoyed about our day just to each other.

One thing that I am actually looking forward to, at least at the beginning of cruising, is a less crowded ship since they will not be able to sail at full capacity for a while. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

In all our cruises we have never done room service meals, but balcony meals are looking better now.  Tables for two in the MDR may also be more common. We shall see.

Unfortunately, many cruise lines have removed tables from balconies and/or cabins.  It's like they wanted to discourage room service.  Now that room service may be encouraged, perhaps the tables will return?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Unfortunately, many cruise lines have removed tables from balconies and/or cabins.  It's like they wanted to discourage room service.  Now that room service may be encouraged, perhaps the tables will return?

6 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Maybe in the future balconies will become larger!  Yippee!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I agree with you, and until I got to your post I thought I was the only person who thought this way.  

Mr. pcur and I applaud some of the changes being made, because they will help keep passengers safer and healthier from other types of viruses, too.  It's not a bad thing to have fewer people around while you're eating.  I'm sure they will accommodate people who want to sit together at lunch or dinner, but I think the large 10 - 12 people tables will be gone for a few years.  I see tables for no more than 6 in our future, since that seems to be the "magic" CDC number for group gatherings.

Having said that, we are loners on cruises, anyway.  We keep to ourselves, prefer quieter places on deck to sit, like a table for 2 when we dine, and don't go to the shows or entertainment.

As I said in another thread, the buffet changes sound a lot like what HAL has been doing for years, and we loved them.  

If we get stuck on a ship with an active COVID19 case, the health protocol is to be able to isolate and do contact tracing to minimize infection and "over" quarantining.

PLUS, we don't plan on cruising until there is a vaccine, and our first 2 cruises next year we can drive to the port.  By the time we fly I figure we'll have 2 vaccinations in us.  If not, then we move the cruises.  Our Princess cruises are refundable deposits, and I just cancelled one and booked a later one last week, moving the deposit over to the new one. RCCL has a policy that if booked before 8/1/20, all cruises can be moved to a later one, which is what we will want to do.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 3

My honest opinion is that once this virus is a thing of the past, things should get back to normal with a few restrictions. Buffets will probably be more cafeteria style with servers handing your choices behind a counter while you are standing in line.

I think the MDR and the specialty restaurants will remain the same, as will the bars, lounges and showrooms, what other scenarios could there be? 

I'm sure there will be some kind of screening before you board but if the virus is gone will they still take your temperature, probably because there there are other deseases out there like the Noro. I suspect the Noro will never go away as passengers visiting ports of call could always pick it up while spending time while taking excursions or having something to eat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

My honest opinion is that once this virus is a thing of the past, things should get back to normal with a few restrictions. Buffets will probably be more cafeteria style with servers handing your choices behind a counter while you are standing in line.

I think the MDR and the specialty restaurants will remain the same, as will the bars, lounges and showrooms, what other scenarios could there be? 

I'm sure there will be some kind of screening before you board but if the virus is gone will they still take your temperature, probably because there there are other deseases out there like the Noro. I suspect the Noro will never go away as passengers visiting ports of call could always pick it up while spending time while taking excursions or having something to eat.

Actually Noro can be reduced if people are already in the habit (as we are all hopefully now) of keeping their hands clean and away from their faces.  Plus, eliminated the shared serving utensils in the buffet will go a long way, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We enjoy cruising.  We are using this time to do research on travel destinations that are at the top of our bucket lists.  Some familiar, some new.   Thailand, Oz, India, Kenya, Morocco, Greece/Turkey/Cyprus, Iberia, etc.   So many interesting places to go.  On sea or on land.     We feel fortunate that we have our health, no covid, and are not financially compromised by the current situation.  It is all good despite this bump in the road.  We consider ourselves to be extremely fortunate.  

Me too.  All the places you have listed I have been to;  so I am looking for other options;  it may be a cruise or may be land tour.  Not going to worry about it until next year.  This year is a gap year for me

These last 6 months have been a challenge for most. Our world has been told to stop what you are doing. Most understood how serious this pandemic is / was. We are all still struggling in many different ways.

With that being said, I think the flip side to this pandemic in far as for cruising may improve our experiences. Like most, I enjoy cruising. Its my time to share with my husband our experiences together that are exciting and new.  

We may see changes in how things are done on a cruise ship that will benefit us and the crew that were actually probably long overdue to be done. For instance, changing the buffet experience to being served instead of self serve in line.

We have resigned ourselves to the fact that until this virus has run its course and is mostly gone we will not be cruising. If the world would work together to end this disease it will be a celebratory cruise when we step back on a ship.  Most likely it will be mid 2021 before it will be close to being normal again. That's just my guess.

Hi All,  

l think cruising will be a bit different, more hand washing, more screens, less sharing, buffet will not be self service,  however with this new stricter hygiene noro virus may become less of an issue,

We have booked  a cruise late 2021,  so do we have any fears, only one that US will not do what is required to be covid-19 free

all being well Scotland will be covid free  very soon,  if we go to US we could be required to go into quarantine on our return home. 

21 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

The longer this goes on.... with no sight in end..... I think cruise as we know it could be a long way off,  if ever...... along with being too expensive.....

At least we have cruised and enjoyed it.... 

After our last cruise Nov-Dec 2019... I made a photo book of all our cruise photos......

( when I got the book ..I wondered if that was our last cruise.... this was late jan 2020 )

Little did one know what was going to happen....

So stay safe.... and remember the wonderful cruises you have be on

Cheers Don

We are thinking the same and thought the same at the conclusion of our most recent cruises.  When I returned home on January 31, 2020, Covid was "in the news", but was not considered to us in North America as serious as it has become.  I returned from very pleasant and memorable--each in their own way--3 cruises.  But, due to my health issues, I was exhausted.  Health concerns are still there and being worked on, but with Covid and the probable changes to the cruising experience coming, I, too, wonder if my cruising days are finished.  

If so, I have so many memories, so many photos, so much memorabilia, and--most importantly--so many people whom I have met over the years who are now my friends and with whom we remain in contact.  

We love the buffets!!!  If they are gone that is a major drawback for us. I do not like waiters hovering and not being able to choose my piece of meat etc. We love Trivia and the shows. The few indoor ( mostly retractable roofs) pools are a great boon  when the weather is bad so we need those also!

Bottom line is we love to cruise enough to put up with masks and restricted elevator use ( although  we will never again enter a crowded elevator ) less activities and no large tables in the MDR.  We will need our mini-bar refrigerator although not stocked is fine as we fill it our selves with soda and juice plus emergency food  ( since the Carnival dead in the gulf a few years back! ) My hubby is diabetic and we need to have an emergency food supply.on hand. 

The biggest issue for us will be the higher prices which are inevitable!!!

• Like 1

My guess is that the buffet will continue, but cafeteria style rather than self serve.  As some land based ones have done. But we will see. Personally that would be a change for the better in my opinion.

• Like 1

We're not great fans of buffets so whatever changes are proposed are a yawn.  I do realize that Horizon is the highlight of the trip for many and do hope the changes aren't so radical as to scare anyone away.

One thing Princess could do that would be a great benefit to many IMHO would be to make better use of the MDR's for something other than dinner.  In recent years, MDR's were closed for lunch on nearly all port days.  Only one DR with very limited hours open for breakfast resulting in long lines more or less from opening to closing.  Why not have one open with extended breakfast hours (say 6 - 11), another one open for extended lunch hours (say 11 - 3)?  Doing so would take a tremendous load off the buffet and would have the side benefit of stretching out the # of folks in the room.  All of the post Grand ships have 3 MDRs one of which is used ONLY for TD dinner.  Making use of that space for breakfast (or lunch) is a no brainer.  

I can also imagine requiring or allowing reservations for things like the pub lunch at least early in the reopening process.  One of the busiest places on most ships we've been on is the line to get pub lunch.  Give folks a one hour slot, have them arrive no more than 10 minutes ahead.  Done.

I too hope things eventually get back to 'normal' (or better than old 'normal' as some have said).  For the first year or so though changes will be necessary.  

• Like 1

Our cruising days are over - sad but fortunately we enjoy other forms of vacations also and still plan to take them.

Trouble is we are IN to Princess for a lot of money:

FCC $ that will never be used

FCD $ that will never be used either, that MAYBE we will get money refunded

CCL stock that right now is in the drain, but could easily become worthless

My vacation planning for the future will look a lot different:

No more cruises

Try to avoid large $ amounts for deposits on reservations for future travel

Take more last-minute trips that appear to be sure to occur without upfront $ for deposits

Future of travel is going to be different   -   but I am sure with some planning will be just as enjoyable as the past.

13 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

Our cruising days are over - sad but fortunately we enjoy other forms of vacations also and still plan to take them.

Trouble is we are IN to Princess for a lot of money:

FCC $ that will never be used

FCD $ that will never be used either, that MAYBE we will get money refunded

CCL stock that right now is in the drain, but could easily become worthless

My vacation planning for the future will look a lot different:

No more cruises

Try to avoid large $ amounts for deposits on reservations for future travel

Take more last-minute trips that appear to be sure to occur without upfront $ for deposits

Future of travel is going to be different   -   but I am sure with some planning will be just as enjoyable as the past.

So....the $64,000.00 question is, Why are your cruising days over?

They are simply on hold.

We do not envisage doom and gloom.  Not enough data to make a longer term decision until the post covid time frame.

Having said that we would never consider taking an FCC in lieu of a cash refund nor would we consider giving any cruise line a dime of our money at this point in time-refundable or not. 

Most of our travel since retirement is booked no further than six weeks out.  We typically only buy late booking cruises.