Boeing 787 to Europe

CruisingIGo

18 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

That airplane was designed and market for a business and route vision that never came to be, now all them airplanes are going to the graveyard, sad I didn't get to fly it before they all retire.

Not so fast.  Though the 380 was grounded due to the drop in traffic, EK has brought them back to several routes and is making plans to have them as an essential part of their fleet.  Also, they have over 110 of them, so they will be around for a while.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not so fast.  Though the 380 was grounded due to the drop in traffic, EK has brought them back to several routes and is making plans to have them as an essential part of their fleet.  Also, they have over 110 of them, so they will be around for a while.

Sadly likely routes will never find me flying the carriers that will likely still fly them; checked 787, 777, 747, 737, 767, 757, 300, 310, 320, 321, 330, 350,   not yet 340 and 380. 

I'm rather surprised that someone who flies 380,000 miles a year hasn't found themselves on an A380 yet! (or an A340 for that matter.... )

Flying only a fraction of that myself even I've found myself on a handful of A380 flights.

7 hours ago, fbgd said:

I'm rather surprised that someone who flies 380,000 miles a year hasn't found themselves on an A380 yet! (or an A340 for that matter.... )

Flying only a fraction of that myself even I've found myself on a handful of A380 flights.

Agree, same here. Have flown A380 a couple of times...like the plane. But everyone's needs are different.

On 7/10/2020 at 10:08 AM, SelectSys said:

Why the 787?  Is it the size of the aircraft even though 3 variants exist?  Is it the lower cabin altitude compared to older aircraft?  Is it because you prefer Boeing aircraft as a Seattle resident?  Noise level?  Lack of real window shades?  To me, the only real factors might be the cabin air pressure at cruise or perhaps that it is a smaller aircraft.  For sure the cabin layout, amenities  and price depend on the carrier.

We assume that cabin pressure and humidity are the reason we feel dramatically better at our final destination.

Edited by CruisingIGo
More info

On 7/14/2020 at 9:03 PM, fbgd said:

TPAC only, biweekly PVG to west coast for business/work. 

When the bucket list was higher on the list the thought of a transfer in PDX-LAX-ICN-PVG was a possibility and give Korean Air a go, but I ran a tight ship.  PDX-SFO (AS/UA ), UA SFO-PVG on Saturday arrival Sunday PM, return either PVG-SFO/LAX ( UA/AS ) Friday evening and back in PDX Friday night, rinse and repeat every other week.   Time at home with the family for that extra day was fare more valuable to me.   Always thought I'd get a trip that would allow it more naturally, who'd have thought....   I did try almost every  airline out of various cites with single connect;   UA, AC, DL, AA,  HU,  CA and MU. 

I did amass a collection of models of size relative to how often I flew them, still missing a few, need to get back to Shanghai to add to the collection 😉  I had a special relations with that UA 787, spent maybe 6-7% of the year on that thing.

My son and I are totally having cabin fever having now not traveled for almost 110 days, OMG, new and different world.

603DF51B-987E-48D4-9069-23722B11921E.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Reports are that Apple was buying 50 business class seats between SFO and PVG every day, both directions.  Biggest single customer contract route.

Wonder what that will end up at when travel fully opens up.

I can neither confirm nor deny that rumor, you must of seen the photo of the banner that UA produced in poor judgment.  I do know you can  make business class arrangements 2 days before, always got a seat up front if you work at the fruit company.

My son almost  made GS twice, the level is rather high out of SFO, but he knew many who abused the perk and made every effort to get GS and did.  Being 24 and making GS and staying 5 star is not a bad gig, though the hours and pressure are very high at Apple, nothing is free in life.     I hear in some groups  1/2 of the office was always out on travel and the SFO UA Polaris lounge is  like an  Apple lounge.    I envied both their business seat, elite status, and hotel options and room/views on his travels.   I though my digs at the Le Meridien was nice till I saw the views and rooms apple folks could book.

Business travel will never again be the same, sad.

la-united-apple.jpg

5D6BA249-1026-4CFA-AD41-DAAB288D1250.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Being 24 and making GS and staying 5 star is not a bad gig, though the hours and pressure are very high at Apple, nothing is free in life.    

Similar for me. I went into banking out of University...my first business trip in my early 20s was on a private jet, staying at the Four Seasons and with a $200 per diem...in St Louis. It's pretty hard to spend that kind of money there, like Brewster's Millions. Way to be spoiled on my first business trip haha.

My current business travel policy doesn't include anything private but at least covers F regardless of flight length and with no restrictions on hotels, per diem etc. Just to be sensible which can still sometimes mean 5* if the price is only a bit more than the "executive hotel", the luxury rental car etc. I'm pretty lucky compared to some industries.

• Like 1