The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

The only ship I have been on in mid June is the Prinsendam in 2015 but fortunately I had good weather in that period. On June 14 we were at sea and had a cloudy morning but decent sunset:

dusk0622.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

On 6/13/2021 at 12:29 AM, KenzSailing said:

Ah you're too kind.  I am but a mere line cook standing on the shoulders of giants(Child, Pepin, Hazan, Lopez-Alt.)

My Jacques Pepin story:  we met him at a talk/book signing maybe 20(!) years ago.  He was exactly the person you see on TV: knowledgeable, helpful, charming, humble.  My favorite answer of his to an audience question:

"How many knives do I own?  Eighty, maybe ninety.  I use three or four of them."

That's a guy who's not ashamed to be called a cook.

He apparently also said you need a sharp knife because it makes a clear cut (in case you cut your finger 😉)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, travelberlin said:

He apparently also said you need a sharp knife because it makes a clear cut (in case you cut your finger 😉)

I did find out the knives in the Serenity Specialty Restaurant galley are sharp.

On a food & wine theme cruise we had a special guest chef who gave us a cooking demo, and he offered a raffle there to cook a lunch with him. Eight of us made a yummy lunch and during my chopping of the ratatouille vegetables I tried the old "scoop it up onto the side of the knife" and just a touch of the edge drew blood and I had to ask staff to bring me a band-aid!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mskatiemae said:

I did find out the knives in the Serenity Specialty Restaurant galley are sharp.

On a food & wine theme cruise we had a special guest chef who gave us a cooking demo, and he offered a raffle there to cook a lunch with him. Eight of us made a yummy lunch and during my chopping of the ratatouille vegetables I tried the old "scoop it up onto the side of the knife" and just a touch of the edge drew blood and I had to ask staff to bring me a band-aid!

When I gather anything I just chopped I always use the back (top) edge of the knife, for two reasons:

1) I don't dull the cutting edge by dragging it across the board

2) It minimizes the odds that, in the future, I'll be introducing myself as "Call me Lefty."

PS: I keep a box of band-aids in the kitchen.  Like Harry Calahan said " a cook's got to know his limitations."  That's almost a quote.

• Like 4

tend not to cruise much between mid-June and mid-July.  My photos for this period will likely not be from the same day but will usually be at least from the same month.  Today's is from June 17, taken before disembarking MS Prinsendam in Ijmuiden, Netherlands.

dawn0617.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

On 6/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, mskatiemae said:

I like this technique with brats but do it all in a covered skillet (not sous vide). I did however get inspired to buy an air fryer equivalent in the form of a largish Cuisinart chef convection oven. As the current temp outside is 98F here in the Twin Cities it seems to me a great fast alternative with the speed convection.

So once the cicadademic winds down, Mr Kenz, perhaps you can give more advice on air frying! I'm now good at reheating and pizza, but getting good at other techniques seems elusive...

I've been remiss in not responding to this exciting development.

That much square footage will give you a lot of flexibility, more than I have experience using (counter space is at a premium in the Chez.)

First, as always, I recommend the America's Test Kitchen "Air Fryer Perfection" cookbook.

Next, since you're just branching out, how about, without heating up the kitchen, a loaded baked potato  for dinner?  Or as a side, if you're indulging.

Take one Russett potato, rinse, fork all over like it offended you.  Brush with oil (I like Canola), into the fryer at 400F for 40-45 minutes.  (Oh yeah, dampen and wring out a paper towel, then cover the potato.  Why? You ever had a baking potato go ka-blam on you?  I have.  Clean up is not fun.) 

Slice it, split it, top it your way.  Shredded cheese, sour cream, little chopped chive...oh my...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

I've been remiss in not responding to this exciting development.

That much square footage will give you a lot of flexibility, more than I have experience using (counter space is at a premium in the Chez.)

First, as always, I recommend the America's Test Kitchen "Air Fryer Perfection" cookbook.

Next, since you're just branching out, how about, without heating up the kitchen, a loaded baked potato  for dinner?  Or as a side, if you're indulging.

Take one Russett potato, rinse, fork all over like it offended you.  Brush with oil (I like Canola), into the fryer at 400F for 40-45 minutes.  (Oh yeah, dampen and wring out a paper towel, then cover the potato.  Why? You ever had a baking potato go ka-blam on you?  I have.  Clean up is not fun.) 

Slice it, split it, top it your way.  Shredded cheese, sour cream, little chopped chive...oh my...

Holy moly, I just realized I crossed my wires and confused air frying and microwaving in a crucial respect: do NOT put any paper products into an air fryer.

The management sends its apologies, and will refer all employees to appropriate additional training. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Holy moly, I just realized I crossed my wires and confused air frying and microwaving in a crucial respect: do NOT put any paper products into an air fryer.

The management sends its apologies, and will refer all employees to appropriate additional training. 

Thanks Mr Chez, I knew you would come through once that 'constant buzzing sound' started to fade away.

Also no need to call your lawyer. I was thinking about the baked potato as the next level of AF mastery...but need to pick up some russets first. And your point about avoiding explosion is well taken, though the new chef convection oven has a nonstick surfaced interior that washes nicely. It may be like the Lamborghini of toaster ovens. I am also counterspace-challenged, in fact the oven sits on its own rolling cart.

• Like 1

So last night I surprised OLoPP with a dessert course (we almost never eat dessert.)  It was homemade blender vanilla ice cream and it was darn good (and a perfect summer treat.)  But of course I had to gild the lily so there was hot fudge sauce (OLoPP's favorite, she yawns at chocolate syrup.  She may be patient, but she's discerning.)  Then topped with shaved almonds and a sprinkle of sea salt.

The outdoor patio is open for business and the Chez rolls on.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

So last night I surprised OLoPP with a dessert course (we almost never eat dessert.)  It was homemade blender vanilla ice cream and it was darn good (and a perfect summer treat.)  But of course I had to gild the lily so there was hot fudge sauce (OLoPP's favorite, she yawns at chocolate syrup.  She may be patient, but she's discerning.)  Then topped with shaved almonds and a sprinkle of sea salt.

You are priceless!

I’m suddenly very skittish about almonds after being told by Mr. B about the cost in water to produce almonds. You know how you can’t unhear or unsee something? I wish he hadn’t told me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

There you go...OLoPP is certainly one who is entitled to this the "queen of desserts", a real hot fudge sundae.

In my younger days the ultimate treat was having a Frango Mint Sundae at the DT Chicago Marshall Fields store.

Congrats on reopening and for keeping all the Chez staff employed!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

There you go...OLoPP is certainly one who is entitled to this the "queen of desserts", a real hot fudge sundae.

In my younger days the ultimate treat was having a Frango Mint Sundae at the DT Chicago Marshall Fields store.

Congrats on reopening and for keeping all the Chez staff employed!

I miss Marshall Field’s.  😢 

Vince

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I always found more stuff that was "me" at Lord and Taylor. Those were the days.

Patty

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

We never had Marshall Fields and I never found much I wanted at Lord and Taylor.  Their store is currently a Mass vaccination site.

Roy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

Here in MN we really miss Dayton's our flagship department store. It merged into Marshall Fields, then that went Macy's and now the DT Minneapolis store even as Macy's is no longer. I also used their DT parking ramps and got a voucher there for spending only $20. We still have the Mall of America, sigh. In my experience Crystal ships somewhat recreate the department store experience where you could eat great food and go to the salon along with your shopping trip. Also run into your friends while wandering around!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I always found more stuff that was "me" at Lord and Taylor. Those were the days.

Patty

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

We never had Marshall Fields and I never found much I wanted at Lord and Taylor.  Their store is currently a Mass vaccination site.

Roy

I can remember shopping with my mom at Lord & Taylor when I was a little kid -- it was definitely in her rotation too.  The funny memory I have is that it was just about the only store I saw her use her American Express at, since Lord & Taylor didn't take the "Washington Shopping Plate" like Woodies, Hecht's, Garfinkel's, Raleigh's, etc..  LOL. (That was before department stores took Visa or MasterCard yet at all here.)

The Lord & Taylor where I grew up was the last piece of its mall that hadn't been demolished, because of a lawsuit, but that was a short-lived win.  The mall (White Flint) had our region's first Bloomingdale's and the east coast's only I. Magnin, among many other unique features.  Time marches on, I guess.

Vince

18 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

The Lord & Taylor where I grew up was the last piece of its mall that hadn't been demolished, because of a lawsuit, but that was a short-lived win.  The mall (White Flint) had our region's first Bloomingdale's and the east coast's only I. Magnin, among many other unique features.  

When White Flint opened it got a lot of publicity for having valet parking.  Remember that?

1 hour ago, mskatiemae said:

Here in MN we really miss Dayton's our flagship department store. It merged into Marshall Fields, then that went Macy's and now the DT Minneapolis store even as Macy's is no longer. I also used their DT parking ramps and got a voucher there for spending only $20. We still have the Mall of America, sigh. In my experience Crystal ships somewhat recreate the department store experience where you could eat great food and go to the salon along with your shopping trip. Also run into your friends while wandering around!

I remember the flagship Dayton's store -- my first trip to Minneapolis was a few years before Dayton-Hudson rebranded everything (except Target and Mervyn's) under Field's.  That was the intersection where Mary Tyler Moore (tying this back to Crystal) tossed her tam, right?

That versatility of a TRUE department store is what I miss.  The State Street Field's store in Chicago had the most amazing array of beautiful stuff.  More than once I spent an entire day in there.  My living room furniture actually came from there (600 miles away).  lol. I don't begrudge what Macy's has done to it, there is no way to pay those kinds of bills in today's retail scene, but it's definitely missed.

I still like to go in cool department stores when I travel, though...  The last time I was in Tokyo, I headed straight to Mitsukoshi, which I remembered from when I was there as a kid.  I was almost as excited to relive it.  

Vince