The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

1 hour ago, mskatiemae said:

You trying to make trouble? 😁

Seriously, battered deep-fried Chorizo, that's good eatin'.

And it just so happens I have a couple Brats doing the backstroke in the sous vide gizmo right this very moment.  Just finished sauteing (at the diner it's browning, at the Chez it's sauteing) green pepper and onions for OLoPP's toppings.  (I can get by with a little Dijon and sauerkraut, but the customer pays the bills.)

BTW, green, yellow, and red bell peppers are all the same vegetable, just at different degrees of ripeness.   This discovery hit me like a bolt of lightning.  Hey, I'm a cook, not a horticulturalist.

So anyway, a three day weekend, the Fourth of which happens in July, coming up here in the good old US of A, has me in a summer mood, food wise.

I'm going to smash some burgers.  There will be potato (or, as Dan Quayle says, potatoe) salad.  There'll be a steak (NY strip to stick with the theme.) And there will be ribs (can't take credit, coming in precooked from KCMO.)

There will also be my first ever batch of homemade chocolate chocolate-chip ice cream (Hooray for the Red White and Moo!)  Did you know they make chocolate ice cream just by adding chocolate to vanilla ice cream?  I admit, it's not like the bell pepper revelation, but still...

(And now, a brief PSA: most of the other threads you're about to peruse are 90% "let me speak to the manager." Sheesh.)

Stay cool everybody, especially you Pacific coasters.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I am starting July with a sunset rather than a sunrise.  It was taken July 17, 2012 on Blount Small Ship Adventures Grande Caribe in Cuttyhunk, Massachusetts:

sunset17.JPG.6cbb1805cf553046886c2a30990

Roy

When I was 5 years old, I sailed to Cuttyhunk with my grandfather on his small motor boat.  There were no structures visible at our landing spot.  We had a nice picnic.  Great memories!  Thanks for posting, Roy!

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 2:14 AM, Keith1010 said:

Did any of you go to Magic Pan.  There was one in Maryland; I believe Chevy Chase and Bethesda. We loved it and on the night I proposed at the Jefferson Memorial we drove over there for dinner.  I can't tell you what I at the other day for dinner but I know what I would often have there.  Start with Spinach Salad which had tomatoes and blue cheese dressing. Two crepes; mushroom and a spinach crepe.  Dessert was a Crepe with whipped cream and strawberries.  We also had one in Virginia at Seven Corners which we went to after moving to Northern Virginia After College.  Back in those days Crepes were popular.  There was a crepe place in Georgetown I called Maison de Crepes and there we would get onion soup topped with cheese and what else but crepes. 

Keith

Keith I remember Magic Pan Chevy Chase well - favorite item was a fried gruyere crepe with a sweet mustard sauce.  I think it was in the same  building as one of the original Booeymongers at Friendship Heights - on the 2nd floor - Jennifer St. side.  Went to American University - 1975.  Also remember Hamburger Hamlet down the street on Wisconsin Ave, Armand's Pizza, Roy Roger's.  Back then some of the go to Restaurants (to impress dates) were, Dominique's (Dominique D'Ermo took a liking to me and I could always get the corner booth - Ruth Gordon one night plopped herself down at my table to "talk" and fine out who the pretty girl was - saw Liz Taylor in the private corner partitioned table.), Jaqueline's, Le Bagatelle Jean Pierre, Rive Gauche, Nathans, LaNicoise (waiters on Roller Skates - French Riviera beach style)  Annamarie's Italian (open real late), China Town restaurants - can't remember but they were always open very late for "munchies" Booeymongers was also the 2 in the morning "munchie" place along with Tastee Diner in Bethesda.  Too many place that just came swelling back into memory when you mentioned Magic Pan - all of 1970's Georgetown.  Oh one other place that was fun in Rockville - gangster theme - G.D. Graffiti - Waiters dress as mobsters - and you got your "just desserts. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Keith I remember Magic Pan Chevy Chase well - favorite item was a fried gruyere crepe with a sweet mustard sauce.  I think it was in the same  building as one of the original Booeymongers at Friendship Heights - on the 2nd floor - Jennifer St. side.  Went to American University - 1975.  Also remember Hamburger Hamlet down the street on Wisconsin Ave, Armand's Pizza, Roy Roger's.  Back then some of the go to Restaurants (to impress dates) were, Dominique's (Dominique D'Ermo took a liking to me and I could always get the corner booth - Ruth Gordon one night plopped herself down at my table to "talk" and fine out who the pretty girl was - saw Liz Taylor in the private corner partitioned table.), Jaqueline's, Le Bagatelle Jean Pierre, Rive Gauche, Nathans, LaNicoise (waiters on Roller Skates - French Riviera beach style)  Annamarie's Italian (open real late), China Town restaurants - can't remember but they were always open very late for "munchies" Booeymongers was also the 2 in the morning "munchie" place along with Tastee Diner in Bethesda.  Too many place that just came swelling back into memory when you mentioned Magic Pan - all of 1970's Georgetown.  Oh one other place that was fun in Rockville - gangster theme - G.D. Graffiti - Waiters dress as mobsters - and you got your "just desserts. 

All great memories.  You graduated two years before I did.  

We enjoyed Booeymongers.  We'd have sandwiches and a dessert.

Sometimes we would walk to a place that served breakfast late at night.  Maybe called the Waffle House.  I think off Wisconsin Avenue and supposedly the people working there were former convicts.

Never made it to Rive Gauche but knew some people who made it there for a special night.

Went to a few places off the water.  I think one was called Hogate's and there were two more we went to but can't remember the names.

Another solution for munchies was ordering from subs from Georgetown.  I think it was called Blimpie's.  Not sure if it is around today.

My wife and I returned to WDC in 2017 as part of our 40th wedding anniversary celebration.  AU was so different than when we went there including all the buildings off campus.

Most of the restaurants we remember were gone which was sad. I think one we went to early on was 1776 in Georgetown.  

For Beer some of us went to Old Stein but not sure if that is around.  

Do you remember The Tavern at AU?  Back then they would have mugs or pitchers of beer and Lancer's Wine.  Favorites included a Reuben and they had Hamburgers and a DJ on the weekends.  Went by there in 2017 but they don't serve alcohol given most students are technically not the age to drink.  

Keith

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

All great memories.  You graduated two years before I did.  

Maybe called the Waffle House.  I think off Wisconsin Avenue and supposedly the people working there were former convicts.

I think one was called Hogate's and there were two more we went to but can't remember the names.

Another solution for munchies was ordering from subs from Georgetown.  I think it was called Blimpie's.  Not sure if it is around today.

Do you remember The Tavern at AU?  Back then they would have mugs or pitchers of beer and Lancer's Wine.  

Keith

Actually I graduated in 1979 - started in 1975 so you did graduate before me.  I was in McDowell and Anderson hall.  Waffle House - yes I remember - convict employees or so the legend said.  Yes Blimpies - they delivered to the dorms at all hours.  Hogates and 2 other waterfront places - lasted into the 90's I think. The AU tavern - I am in one of the infamous Yearbook tavern pictures - dead center - during a rowdy night. Yes then it was 18 - many nights worshiping the porcelain god. Could not swallow gin for 40 years after all those dorm parties.  Haven't had a taste for gin until I recently discovered Henricks cucumber cocktails.  Ah teenage years - then went on to a career in the Foreign Service for  33 years, 10 posts and visiting 100 countries.  Your Magic Pan comment jarred those pre "diplomatic" memories loose.

7 hours ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Actually I graduated in 1979 - started in 1975 so you did graduate before me.  I was in McDowell and Anderson hall.  Waffle House - yes I remember - convict employees or so the legend said.  Yes Blimpies - they delivered to the dorms at all hours.  Hogates and 2 other waterfront places - lasted into the 90's I think. The AU tavern - I am in one of the infamous Yearbook tavern pictures - dead center - during a rowdy night. Yes then it was 18 - many nights worshiping the porcelain god. Could not swallow gin for 40 years after all those dorm parties.  Haven't had a taste for gin until I recently discovered Henricks cucumber cocktails.  Ah teenage years - then went on to a career in the Foreign Service for  33 years, 10 posts and visiting 100 countries.  Your Magic Pan comment jarred those pre "diplomatic" memories loose.

I was in Leonard first year and Anderson for Sophomore and Junior Years.  Was on that 6th floor which at the time was experimental.  It had either four or eight person rooms with movable furniture, large kitchen and lounge where you could cook and adjacent rooms alternated male/female.  My wife was on that floor both years too.  I was in McDowell summer between Junior and Senior year as I ran Freshman Orientation and they provided a room at no charge for the Summer.  Those were the days.  

Keith

Over the years I've done well with sunrise photos on July 19.  When that date comes I'll post my earliest July 19 photo but today I'm posting the most recent, taken July 19, 2018 from MS Volendam in British Columbia's Inside Passage:

dawn0719.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

So there are some folks on Serenity who are mildly disappointed they couldn't get lobster.  Well, today I had a hankerin' for a Reuben for lunch, so I made a quick trip to the grocer and:

THEY WERE OUT OF CORNED BEEF!

Deli guy says they haven't had it for a week.  What is going on here?  Is corned beef the toilet paper of 2021?  I'm calling my representative.

Anyway, I got the pastrami. A cook has to know how to improvise.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

So there are some folks on Serenity who are mildly disappointed they couldn't get lobster.  Well, today I had a hankerin' for a Reuben for lunch, so I made a quick trip to the grocer and:

THEY WERE OUT OF CORNED BEEF!

Deli guy says they haven't had it for a week.  What is going on here?  Is corned beef the toilet paper of 2021?  I'm calling my representative.

Anyway, I got the pastrami. A cook has to know how to improvise.  

You know what? I think it was somebody who isn’t even onboard yet, disappointed about the prospect of a cruise with no lobster. But they fretted for naught, as they WILL most likely be able to get lobster. Alas, frozen rather than fresh!

I do love your Reuben story. Actually, every once in a while, I’ve had a Reuben at the Trident, or shared one with Mr B.

Do you bake your own rye bread? Around our neck o’ the woods, we sometimes order a grouper Reuben. Ain’t life grand? We are so very fortunate.

Edited by May B
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, May B said:

You know what? I think it was somebody who isn’t even onboard yet, disappointed about the prospect of a cruise with no lobster. But they fretted for naught, as they WILL most likely be able to get lobster. Alas, frozen rather than fresh!

I do love your Reuben story. Actually, every once in a while, I’ve had a Reuben at the Trident, or shared one with Mr B.

Do you bake your own rye bread? Around our neck o’ the woods, we sometimes order a grouper Reuben. Ain’t life grand? We are so very fortunate.

Oh MayB that grouper Reubens sounds delicious! Yes we are very fortunate.

Now Mr Chez, I do just opt for pastrami from the get-go on my Reubens. I also had delicious Reubens on the Mozart where they managed to make them for me with gluten-free rye bread and goat cheese (due to celiac and allergies). 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 8:25 PM, drib said:

Ollie's Trolley, and Lums, served great, highly seasoned hamburgers and fries. I know there were several trolleys in Northern Virginia. This photo (below) was from Arlington on Washington Blvd, but I used to frequent one on Glebe Road, near Four Mile Run, in the Giant parking lot. The DC Lums was just a block or two east of the White House. 

But if we wanted to go upscale a little, we went to Clydes in Georgetown.

I don't know if I'd do that, but I sure have a taste for an Ollie Burger about now.

Ollie's Trolley!  I had completely forgotten about them.  Funny thing is, I never ate at one, and, although I can picture them, can't place them geographically (the one I'm thinking of was on Wisconsin?)

Clyde's: still going strong, five or six in the area now.  Along with the venerable 1789 and Old Ebbitt Grill (one of the top grossing independent (sort of) restaurants in the nation.)  Founder's motto: "it's more fun to eat in a saloon than drink in a restaurant."  I've been to the Georgetown original even before it expanded into the space next door to the west.  They originally had a  free-standing omelette station in the expansion (shades of Marketplace!)  The omelette station is long gone, but the plaque on the door still says "Omelette Room."  In college,  I would take the dates I really wanted to impress there.  Uniformly, the dates were always more impressed by Clyde's than they were by me.       

• Like 1

Several of my next few sunrises will be from a pair of late July trips taken a couple years apart with International Expeditions in South America.  Today's is from an Amazon River cruise on La Amatista in 2007.  On July 23 I had just boarded the boat in Iquitos.

IMG_0777.JPG.2ff117a337e4bc0ca3c622aa8d7

Roy

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Ollie's Trolley!  I had completely forgotten about them.  Funny thing is, I never ate at one, and, although I can picture them, can't place them geographically (the one I'm thinking of was on Wisconsin?)

Clyde's: still going strong, five or six in the area now.  Along with the venerable 1789 and Old Ebbitt Grill (one of the top grossing independent (sort of) restaurants in the nation.)  Founder's motto: "it's more fun to eat in a saloon than drink in a restaurant."  I've been to the Georgetown original even before it expanded into the space next door to the west.  They originally had a  free-standing omelette station in the expansion (shades of Marketplace!)  The omelette station is long gone, but the plaque on the door still says "Omelette Room."  In college,  I would take the dates I really wanted to impress there.  Uniformly, the dates were always more impressed by Clyde's than they were by me.       

I just went to a Clyde's a couple of weeks ago (Tower Oaks) for a family function.  The food was solid as usual, but the service was actually excellent.  We were there at off-hours, but we were there for several hours.  I miss the Clyde's in Columbia.

I only made it to a Lum's once, with my grandparents when I stayed over at their place for a weekend.  

Vince

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, drib said:

Regarding Reuben sandwiches, there is no shame in a pastrami Reuben! But if you're interested in the original Omaha-style Reuben, you can also order that from Goldbelly:

The Reuben Egg Rolls from Goldbergs, in Atlanta, are also to die from:

In Los Angeles the place for Corned Beef and Pastrami is still Langer's.  My great uncle was a Deli Man there and we had the best family dinners at his house.  He could take a turkey, slice it and put it back together on a platter in perfect form.

• Like 3