Emerald Princess MedallionClass?

Mo Jito

Wondering if anyone has heard any scuttlebutt around Emerald’s Medallion upgrade that was scheduled to be completed August 16, 2020. I’m booked on an October 2020 Mexico cruise, and it doesn’t show up in my Medallion app. I have 2021 cruises booked on Caribbean and Sky, which both show up in the app (along with a cancelled May 2020 Sky sailing, which is gone from my personalizer, but lives on in the app). 

I know the chances of this October sailing actually taking place are slim to none, and I’m not sure I’ll be ready to cruise even if it isn’t cancelled, but just wondered if anyone had heard any inside scoop on whether the planned upgrade for Emerald was still expected to take place this summer.

Thanks,

Mo

53 minutes ago, Mo Jito said:

Wondering if anyone has heard any scuttlebutt around Emerald’s Medallion upgrade that was scheduled to be completed August 16, 2020. I’m booked on an October 2020 Mexico cruise, and it doesn’t show up in my Medallion app. I have 2021 cruises booked on Caribbean and Sky, which both show up in the app (along with a cancelled May 2020 Sky sailing, which is gone from my personalizer, but lives on in the app). 

I know the chances of this October sailing actually taking place are slim to none, and I’m not sure I’ll be ready to cruise even if it isn’t cancelled, but just wondered if anyone had heard any inside scoop on whether the planned upgrade for Emerald was still expected to take place this summer.

Thanks,

Mo

Check to see if your 2020 cruise has been cancelled or not. May still be in your personnalizer but depending on the country it may not happen

43 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I’m booked on an October 2020 Mexico cruise,

44 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Check to see if your 2020 cruise has been cancelled or not. May still be in your personnalizer but depending on the country it may not happen

first quote was by mo jito ...

there are still some Cali cruises showing up on the Princess website for October

looks like finally all August cruises have been deleted for sale , and some Sept cruises also ... still showing some Aust/NZ cruises which everyone realizes will be cancelled when cash flow allows

Yup, I’m booked on one of the LA to Mexico cruises that haven’t been cancelled yet. I check to see if it’s been cancelled pretty frequently and won’t be surprised when it is, but I am just curious about whether Princess is moving ahead with planned updates on Emerald. They have to put the ship somewhere, so if there’s a spot reserved for her in dry dock they may move ahead, especially if they’re contractually committed to having the work done. On the other hand, upgrading a cruise ship may not be considered “essential work” so the shipyard may not be able to do it.

Thinking about stuff like this is admittedly a poor substitute for cruising, but it helps pass the time 🙂

• Like 1

All of the Emerald cruises for 2021 are listed as Medallion Class. There are also a few 2020 cruises listed for Emerald and they say Medallion Class as well. Whether or not they are actually working to get the Medallion infrastructure installed or not is not really made clear.

We're booked on Caribbean Princess next May and on Island Princess the very end of May and into June. CB is already listed as a Medallion ship. Island is "supposed" to get the Medallion upgrade the end of this year but I notice the cruise listing doesn't mention anything about the Medallion...

I have friends that were on a Cali. coastal cruise last year and their was a Wave Cable crew on board installing the Medallion system while they were at sea.  My friends had cards rather than the medallions but some of the systems were running.

1 hour ago, Namvvet68 said:

I have friends that were on a Cali. coastal cruise last year and their was a Wave Cable crew on board installing the Medallion system while they were at sea.  My friends had cards rather than the medallions but some of the systems were running.

We were on Grand in February and April of '19, and again in February this year for the COVID cruise.

February of '19 the cable crew was on board hard at work but key cards & card locks on stateroom doors were the norm.

By April of '19 it was still key cards but with NFC readers to unlock the cabins.  

By February this year, NFC readers to unlock the cabins.  On demand ordering of drinks via the Medallion app was possible though Medallions themselves were not yet in play.

My point is, the infrastructure stuff is probably likely long done, really just a matter of turning the Medallion delivery technology on at some point.

My personal guess is Medallion is a great help tracking folks once onboard if needed for contact tracing.  If it's at all possible to have it enabled, I'm thinking it will be at restart or shortly thereafter. 

On 7/12/2020 at 12:54 PM, Mo Jito said:

Yup, I’m booked on one of the LA to Mexico cruises that haven’t been cancelled yet. I check to see if it’s been cancelled pretty frequently and won’t be surprised when it is, but I am just curious about whether Princess is moving ahead with planned updates on Emerald. They have to put the ship somewhere, so if there’s a spot reserved for her in dry dock they may move ahead, especially if they’re contractually committed to having the work done. On the other hand, upgrading a cruise ship may not be considered “essential work” so the shipyard may not be able to do it.

Thinking about stuff like this is admittedly a poor substitute for cruising, but it helps pass the time 🙂

The Emerald was almost ready on our Tahiti cruise this February (Fast Internet, New TV monitors and the Cruise Card unlocked the door by Tapping on the Medallion pad) so there is very little they need to do to turn the system on.