Additional Cancellations in October?

Dunk

I have a 4-night Mexico cruise scheduled on the Carnival Miracle, Oct 12th from San Diego. I had seen that the price had dropped a bit, and called to have the booking re-rated. After some back and forth, the agent got back on and told us they couldn't do it because the sailing had been cancelled. We haven't gotten any notification of that, and I can do a dummy booking online up to payment for that date. Anybody have any insight if they're cancelling more sailings? 

I wasn't really thinking this one was going to go anyway, but I was remaining hopeful. 

12 minutes ago, Dunk said:

I have a 4-night Mexico cruise scheduled on the Carnival Miracle, Oct 12th from San Diego. I had seen that the price had dropped a bit, and called to have the booking re-rated. After some back and forth, the agent got back on and told us they couldn't do it because the sailing had been cancelled. We haven't gotten any notification of that, and I can do a dummy booking online up to payment for that date. Anybody have any insight if they're cancelling more sailings? 

I wasn't really thinking this one was going to go anyway, but I was remaining hopeful. 

it's still showing up on their site... image.png.8d606de8754241cc31ca8214df4fb5e6.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

it's still showing up on their site... image.png.8d606de8754241cc31ca8214df4fb5e6.png

Real time events and Carnivals website are two different worlds.

Perhaps CCL has some iside info on what the CDC is going to do with the No Sail order that expires in 10 days.

6 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Real time events and Carnivals website are two different worlds.

Perhaps CCL has some iside info on what the CDC is going to do with the No Sail order that expires in 10 days.

good point....  Probably they know they will be canceling more cruises

• Like 1

It's not just about the U.S. being ready in October it's also about other countries being ready. What good is it for the USA to be ready to cruise in October if Mexico or the Caribbean has it's borders closed?

As much as I love sea days, I will pass on the cruises to nowhere.

• Like 2

I called back, and started from scratch. I asked for the re-fare, and the agent, was "no problem", did it and I got a new confirmation. It's all who you get. 🙄  So--at the moment-my sailing is NOT cancelled. I still remain hopeful, but realistic. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dunk said:

I called back, and started from scratch. I asked for the re-fare, and the agent, was "no problem", did it and I got a new confirmation. It's all who you get. 🙄  So--at the moment-my sailing is NOT cancelled. I still remain hopeful, but realistic. 🙂

Yay!

4 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

It's not just about the U.S. being ready in October it's also about other countries being ready. What good is it for the USA to be ready to cruise in October if Mexico or the Caribbean has it's borders closed?

As much as I love sea days, I will pass on the cruises to nowhere.

Think outside the box, or in this case, outside of the US. The problem is not Mexico or the Caribbean or Canada for the rest of the world. The problem is the United States for cruising from the United States. Or Americans traveling to other countries to cruise there.

In a normal world, many cruise ships were already based outside of the United States and they can be again. No need for the US to even exist.

Cruises to nowhere are illegal from the US but not necessarily from other countries.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ladychater said:

I'm on this cruise, too, so this is good news! That bring said, this country is doing such a piss poor job of containing covid 19, I can't imagine Mexico is going to welcome The Plague  Boat.  Siiiiiiiiiigh

Uh, have you checked Mexico's numbers concerning covid? How about Central and South America? Don't make yourself so obvious. You can do a better job of covering it up. Can't You?

36 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Uh, have you checked Mexico's numbers concerning covid? How about Central and South America? Don't make yourself so obvious. You can do a better job of covering it up. Can't You?

Saying that some other countries are also doing a crap job doesn't make us sound any better. We've lost 135,000 souls. That's horrific. And while Europe, Australia and Asia have covid under control, our weekly cases are still RISING. I'm just saying what is obvious. The US is failing to control this on a grand scale. That's why we won't e welcome in other countries. Sorry that you don't like hearing it.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

or you? Brazil isn't so great, but their neighbor Argentina is not bad, and Buenos Aires is a decent cruise port. Dominican Republic is bad, but the virus isn't an issue in a number of other countries. Puerto Rico is part of the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

109338193_2619499651635610_8448880776184

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

or you? Brazil isn't so great, but their neighbor Argentina is not bad, and Buenos Aires is a decent cruise port. Dominican Republic is bad, but the virus isn't an issue in a number of other countries. Puerto Rico is part of the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

109338193_2619499651635610_8448880776184

During my recent South America/Antarctica cruise which was during the height of their summer vacation from Santiago to Buenos Aires, there were only a handful of passengers onboard from South American countries. Although some passengers were onboard from Canada, the UK and Australia in addition to majority United States, I’m not sure cruising could be profitable enough without our demographic in that region. I could be wrong though but that’s just my opinion based on my recent cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ladychater said:

Saying that some other countries are also doing a crap job doesn't make us sound any better. We've lost 135,000 souls. That's horrific. And while Europe, Australia and Asia have covid under control, our weekly cases are still RISING. I'm just saying what is obvious. The US is failing to control this on a grand scale. That's why we won't e welcome in other countries. Sorry that you don't like hearing it.

I am not disagreeing with the US crap job. 50 state governors throwing darts at a dart board strapped to the back of their head. LOL.

But other countries are also having their problems. 

• Spain places 160,000 under lockdown
  • EU drops Serbia, Montenegro from safe travel list
  • India places Bangalore back on lockdown
  • Hong Kong imposes new restrictions
  • France makes mask wearing mandatory in public
  • Australia cases top 10k.
  • Iran closes mosques, schools
  • WHO warns: "there will be no return to normal"
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

During my recent South America/Antarctica cruise which was during the height of their summer vacation from Santiago to Buenos Aires, there were only a handful of passengers onboard from South American countries. Although some passengers were onboard from Canada, the UK and Australia in addition to majority United States, I’m not sure cruising could be profitable enough without our demographic in that region. I could be wrong though but that’s just my opinion based on my recent cruise.

Good chance it wouldn't be for Princess. There are some cruise lines that don't market/cater to Americans and others who could switch their marketing efforts.

CDC has no authority over South America cruises, so if Americans are allowed to fly into Chile and Argentina the cruises could still be profitable.

11 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

I am not disagreeing with the US crap job. 50 state governors throwing darts at a dart board strapped to the back of their head. LOL.

But other countries are also having their problems. 

• Spain places 160,000 under lockdown
  • EU drops Serbia, Montenegro from safe travel list
  • India places Bangalore back on lockdown
  • Hong Kong imposes new restrictions
  • France makes mask wearing mandatory in public
  • Australia cases top 10k.
  • Iran closes mosques, schools
  • WHO warns: "there will be no return to normal"

We will have to agree to disagree on the reason behind the US crap job.

Yes, other countries have issues, and they are addressing them instead of pretending they don't exist. Like Ground Hog Day, the US is stuck in the first wave. Over and over.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Good chance it wouldn't be for Princess. There are some cruise lines that don't market/cater to Americans and others who could switch their marketing efforts.

CDC has no authority over South America cruises, so if Americans are allowed to fly into Chile and Argentina the cruises could still be profitable.

MSC might be able to capture the required audience there if marketed appropriately.

Regarding US entry, it could work for upper mid-scale but most Carnival passengers can’t afford the two week transit, travel time and extra time to stay in hotels. My 16 day SA/Antarctica Cruise was 16 nights but took over 3 weeks when including travel time, time in embarkation/disembarkation ports and flight time. Most people simply don’t have that much time off available. 

They know they are going to cancel more cruises for October and beyond.  That's why you got 2 DIFFERENT answers............ like Fantasy is leaving to her final port, but they are still accepting bookings for her.....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

They know they are going to cancel more cruises for October and beyond.  That's why you got 2 DIFFERENT answers............ like Fantasy is leaving to her final port, but they are still accepting bookings for her.....

Carnival advises they have not identified the ships to be sold or scrapped as of yet. There is no reason to believe this will be the fate of the Fantasy, Inspiration or Fascination. They look forward to bringing the fun back to you in October on these ships.

Edited by xDisconnections

12 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

WHO warns: "there will be no return to normal"

I'm not arguing this, just making an observation.  "Normal" is relative.  In my opinion, there will be no return to the prior "normal" and it will be replaced with the new "normal."

As an example, we consider it normal that medical personnel wear gloves when there is a risk of contamination.  However I distinctly remember when this was new thing in response to the new HIV and hepatitis viruses.  I remember how many of my coworkers were angry, didn't want to comply, thought the new rules were needless.  Now we don't think twice about it.  Who else remembers mouth to mouth resuscitation in CPR?  Not anymore.

Again, just my opinion, but we are all going to have to adjust to a new normal.

• Like 1