I Know we want to cruise but think how bad some of the Ports want to see us .

Got an email this morning from Kays fine Jewelry in St. Martin and several other places they have stores we buy our Jewelry from them got me thinking how bad it must be on some of the Islands that live and die on cruise passengers money . One of our last cruises we had to miss Costa Maya so they went on To Cozumel and spent the night we arrived at 4pm and they all stayed open till late just too accommodate us and the stores we were in they were smiling and happy . We ate at Bubba Gumps and I said man you guys must be tired long day they all said we are here for you guys , we love when you come in . They were all so nice to us. This was like 9 pm or something . I Know a guy that works one of the excursions on Passion Island met him years ago he told me his main source of income was that tour and the tips. Pretty sure they dont get unemployment like we do over here . Wonder how they feed their families ? 

• Like 3

Not just in the Carib.  This has really devastated places like Alaska too.  

We are heading there on the 1st of August.  Without cruise ships, (our B2B Radiance was cancelled) and many other tourist venues...it is really hurting them.  They make all of their tourism money in a short 4 month season.  Strict travel regulations for just flying into the state as well.  

Talked to several of the cabin owners and B&Bs recently that we will be staying with.  They are so grateful we are still coming (and not cancelling) like most everyone did.  The cruise port areas like Juneau, etc. where it is fly in or come in by boat/ship...losing out big time as well.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

Juggie, from Juggie’s Place in St. Maartin, posted a photo on his Facebook page of Independence docked this am. First cruise ship in months, either disembarking employees, or re-stocking?

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Not just in the Carib.  This has really devastated places like Alaska too.  

We are heading there on the 1st of August.  Without cruise ships, (our B2B Radiance was cancelled) and many other tourist venues...it is really hurting them.  They make all of their tourism money in a short 4 month season.  Strict travel regulations for just flying into the state as well.  

Talked to several of the cabin owners and B&Bs recently that we will be staying with.  They are so grateful we are still coming (and not cancelling) like most everyone did.  The cruise port areas like Juneau, etc. where it is fly in or come in by boat/ship...losing out big time as well.  

Well I live near Nashville I mean they live for tourist . Most of those bars have people that work on tips . So I know its other areas are suffering . This whole thing stinks  and is not going to get any better anytime soon i fear. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The boss loves Kays and the family. We last saw Prince in Nassau. We were invited to the family wedding in Orlando. Good people. 

I like one of the shirts they gave me , Happy Wife, Happy Life. 

M8

My  late wife discover them in St Martin lot of years ago . Yogi became her best friend , she would email him when we were coming and he would have something special made and waiting on  her .  I recently met someone and turned her on to cruising and made the mistake of taking her to Kays  has cost me a fortune LOL . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

The cure is worse than the disease.

What cure has the US implemented nationwide? The US has not implemented any of the protocols that Europe has. And their tourist traffic is starting to open up among themselves.

Unfortunately, the US is now considered a Global Health Risk and is not allowed in the EU, Canada, Australia, Mexico, and many others.  The CDC has said that if everyone wore masks for 6 weeks, we would have this pandemic tamed. Yet not everyone will buy in because for some reason it is against their "freedoms."

So, again, what has been the US's cure?

I would love to get back to vacationing and cruising. I would also love to get back to Europe as all my relatives are there.  But we won't cruise until there is a national plan to tame this thing.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cured said:

What cure has the US implemented nationwide? The US has not implemented any of the protocols that Europe has. And their tourist traffic is starting to open up among themselves.

Unfortunately, the US is now considered a Global Health Risk and is not allowed in the EU, Canada, Australia, Mexico, and many others.  The CDC has said that if everyone wore masks for 6 weeks, we would have this pandemic tamed. Yet not everyone will buy in because for some reason it is against their "freedoms."

So, again, what has been the US's cure?

I would love to get back to vacationing and cruising. I would also love to get back to Europe as all my relatives are there.  But we won't cruise until there is a national plan to tame this thing.

The economic and social devastation is worse than the virus.  Overdoses, suicides, mental health delayed treatments, all up huge.

"wore masks for 6 weeks, we would have this pandemic tamed" - Blackwater.  Two months of lockdown didn't stop it.

Florida would be #23 on the list of per capita loss rate, well behind much of Europe and...wait for it...Canada.  So, yeah, despite being a 'hot spot' we're still better off.  The plan here in Florida is to protect the vulnerable and get through this.  You can thank us later when the ships are sailing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

The economic and social devastation is worse than the virus.  Overdoses, suicides, mental health delayed treatments, all up huge.

"wore masks for 6 weeks, we would have this pandemic tamed" - Blackwater.  Two months of lockdown didn't stop it.

Florida would be #23 on the list of per capita loss rate, well behind much of Europe and...wait for it...Canada.  So, yeah, despite being a 'hot spot' we're still better off.  The plan here in Florida is to protect the vulnerable and get through this.  You can thank us later when the ships are sailing.

I am trying not to be offensive, but I don’t think Florida’s plan ‘to get through this’ is going very well. 

Surely you must be aware, the rest of the world sees that most of the US (including Florida) doesn’t seem to have a plan and is in a terrible predicament brought about by mismanagement of the virus response. 

Also, it is my opinion that the ships will not be sailing soon, most especially from Florida.

Again, I am not trying to be offensive, and I am very saddened to see the devastation in the US.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

I am trying not to be offensive, but I don’t think Florida’s plan ‘to get through this’ is going very well. 

Surely you must be aware, the rest of the world sees that most of the US (including Florida) doesn’t seem to have a plan and is in a terrible predicament brought about by mismanagement of the virus response. 

Also, it is my opinion that the ships will not be sailing soon, most especially from Florida.

Again, I am not trying to be offensive, and I am very saddened to see the devastation in the US.

Bless your heart.

It's easier to isolate when you are isolated by nature 😉

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CSHS1979 said:

Bless your heart.

It's easier to isolate when you are isolated by nature 😉

Of course we are lucky in Australia that geography assists isolation from other countries, however we have also had a coordinated effort in managing the response to COVID led by our Government from the beginning. Of course we have had setbacks (currently having one now), however the Government response has been swift and we learn from these setbacks.

Many highly populated European and Asian countries (who share borders and are therefore not isolated from each other) have also been successful in managing their response, and Canada is doing well too - due to a coordinated Government-led response.

I am sorry that in comparison the US is not in a good place, and it I feel terribly sad to see this happen in your country.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

Florida's plan has, from the start, been to protect the vulnerable and manage the 'curve' (healthcare).

Thankfully, our leadership doesn't particularly care that other countries just don't like our plan.  I suppose they're just jealous we're in better shape than they are.  #21 in world for loss rate and #25 in the US despite being a 'hot spot'.  Eventually, all these 'success' stories are going to crumble as borders open.  1 asymptomatic tourist and it's all over.

Number of positive cases is meaningless as it is not an indicator of prevalence or outcome.  It's just the number of positive test results.

I am saddened too by the sheer incompetence and mismanagement in States like New York or New Jersey.  But were good here in Florida, the plan is working and we will be through this sooner that places that are just trying too hard.  The US is actually 50 independent States.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Florida's plan has, from the start, been to protect the vulnerable and manage the 'curve' (healthcare).

Thankfully, our leadership doesn't particularly care that other countries just don't like our plan.  I suppose they're just jealous we're in better shape than they are.  #21 in world for loss rate and #25 in the US despite being a 'hot spot'.  Eventually, all these 'success' stories are going to crumble as borders open.  1 asymptomatic tourist and it's all over.

Number of positive cases is meaningless as it is not an indicator of prevalence or outcome.  It's just the number of positive test results.

I am saddened too by the sheer incompetence and mismanagement in States like New York or New Jersey.  But were good here in Florida, the plan is working and we will be through this sooner that places that are just trying too hard.  The US is actually 50 independent States.

I am fairly certain most of the leaders or citizens of other countries aren't jealous of Florida's COVID response or Florida's current increasing rate of infection 😲 

This, in my opinion, is a very odd and misinformed statement you have made. 

Apologies OP, this thread has veered off course. Hopefully one day (maybe 2022?) we might all get to visit St Maarten by ship once again.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, boatseller said:

I agree. Those who need to shelter, do so. Others need to get back to work.   (Of course, I also think we need a balanced budget amendment!)

As for the ports, I would be more tempted to spend money at the ports if they didn't have such a glut of souvenir junk made in China or elsewhere. I'd love to be able to buy a newspaper in countries that have a paper for English speakers. More actual crafts by people from that country.

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

I am fairly certain most of the leaders or citizens of other countries aren't jealous of Florida's COVID response or Florida's current increasing rate of infection 😲 

This, in my opinion, is a very odd and misinformed statement you have made. 

Apologies OP, this thread has veered off course. Hopefully one day (maybe 2022?) we might all get to visit St Maarten by ship once again.

Sorry, but no.  If they're not jealous now, they will be when we're fully open and past this while they're still going into crisis mode over 52 cases.  I'm way more informed on this, I'm right in the middle of it.

By every meaningful metric, Florida is doing better than much of Europe and half the States.  And when it's over, we can welcome visitors without unachievable or unsustainable requirements.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

I agree. Those who need to shelter, do so. Others need to get back to work. We can't continue to pay people (with money we don't have) not to work. Of course, I also think we need a balanced budget amendment.

As for the ports, I would be more tempted to spend money at the ports if they didn't have such a glut of souvenir junk made in China. I'd love to be able to buy a newspaper in countries that have an English speaker paper. More actual crafts by people from that country.

I don't get off the ship in most ports.  Been there, done that.  So I'm actually pretty happy the private islands are becoming more frequent destinations.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, Etta1213 said:

I agree. Those who need to shelter, do so. Others need to get back to work.   (Of course, I also think we need a balanced budget amendment!)

As for the ports, I would be more tempted to spend money at the ports if they didn't have such a glut of souvenir junk made in China or elsewhere. I'd love to be able to buy a newspaper in countries that have a paper for English speakers. More actual crafts by people from that country.

agree!!!   I search out those actual crafts!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 5:00 PM, boatseller said:

And two days ago it was reported that two Covid testing labs in the Orlando area were recording very high positives, This is a quote from an Orlando news source:

For at least the past 11 days, the Florida Department of Health coronavirus report shows hundreds of laboratories are reporting 98 to 100% of COVID-19 tests are coming back positive and according to the DOH those statistics are because some private labs aren’t reporting their negative results at all.  Some of the private laboratories are not reporting any negative tests but hundreds of positive COVID-19 tests.  When asked about the 98 to 100% positivity rates on the report, a spokesperson for the Florida Department of Health said the reason was due to some “smaller, private labs” not reporting negative test results to the state.

A spokesperson with Advent Health said they were told by FDOH to only report positive cases. The hospital said it would make any changes to their reporting if requested by the state.

Guess those high numbers for Florida are not accurate.

Edited by PattiHere
  • Like 5