I Know we want to cruise but think how bad some of the Ports want to see us .

On 7/15/2020 at 6:51 PM, boatseller said:

But were good here in Florida, the plan is working and we will be through this sooner that places that are just trying too hard. 

Fortunately, local leaders do not agree with you.

"Florida reported 11,466 more cases of COVID-19 on Friday along with 128 new resident deaths as local leaders suggest that a shutdown could be coming if the numbers don’t reverse trend."

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/07/17/coronavirus-florida-cases-deaths-latest-data-health-department/ 

"Broward County’s vice mayor said people’s ignorance about the virus and insistence on not following the rules has officials nearing a point where they may have to close businesses again.  We are running out of [hospital] bed space because all of these stupid people who insist it’s nothing worst than the flu are wrong. The flu doesn’t fill our intensive-care units,” Steve Geller said. “I’m angry because I am trying to prevent shutting down the businesses, which would be devastating. If we shut down the business community again, a lot of those businesses will never reopen.”

Doesn't sound like he is bragging about the plan working. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

"Florida reported 11,466 more cases of COVID-19 on Friday along with 128 new resident deaths as local leaders suggest that a shutdown could be coming if the numbers don’t reverse trend."

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/07/17/coronavirus-florida-cases-deaths-latest-data-health-department/ 

"Broward County’s vice mayor said people’s ignorance about the virus and insistence on not following the rules has officials nearing a point where they may have to close businesses again.  We are running out of [hospital] bed space because all of these stupid people who insist it’s nothing worst than the flu are wrong. The flu doesn’t fill our intensive-care units,” Steve Geller said. “I’m angry because I am trying to prevent shutting down the businesses, which would be devastating. If we shut down the business community again, a lot of those businesses will never reopen.”

Oh boy, I though you had me there for a second, but no.  Happy to see someone like Steve Geller disagrees with me...means I'm right.

I've pointed out before, ICU capacity is not a crisis.  "ICU bed capacity at Memorial West Hospital in Pembroke Pines is at 180 percent."  They at 180% because they just assign more beds.  There is also no equipment shortage.

"vice mayor said people’s ignorance about the virus and insistence on not following the rules"  He's just a politician having a fit because people don't agree with him.  There's also other considerations.

We're definitely not facing the devastation wrought upon New York.

Sooner, not later, our Ports will be welcoming people again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, boatseller said:

I sure hope not.

5 minutes ago, boatseller said:

I sure hope so. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

True -- no State or County wants a spike in cases, but the total number of deaths rather than cases per 100K in population, IMHO,  it is a far better indicator of how well the pandemic is managed. 

https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases

• Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 10:26 AM, island lady said:

The cruise port areas like Juneau, etc. where it is fly in or come in by boat/ship...losing out big time as well.  

I was in Juneau last week.  They're not hurting as much as you'd think.  Most of the shops at the port aren't locally owned.  The Twisted Fish restaurant is closed, but they are surviving through their other restaurant, the Hangar, which is open.  It had a decent crowd on the night I ate there.  It seemed the excursion pilots are taking the biggest hit.  

I'm sure there are other individuals who are impacted, but probably not any more than those around the country whose businesses are closed or severely limited.   

On 7/15/2020 at 1:26 PM, island lady said:

Not just in the Carib.  This has really devastated places like Alaska too.  

We are heading there on the 1st of August.  Without cruise ships, (our B2B Radiance was cancelled) and many other tourist venues...it is really hurting them.  They make all of their tourism money in a short 4 month season.  Strict travel regulations for just flying into the state as well.  

Talked to several of the cabin owners and B&Bs recently that we will be staying with.  They are so grateful we are still coming (and not cancelling) like most everyone did.  The cruise port areas like Juneau, etc. where it is fly in or come in by boat/ship...losing out big time as well.  

Hawaii must be hurting too. My son had lifted and shifted a June land vacation to California to August in Hawaii. Now Hawaii extended the 14 day quarantine to September. He is now booked to go to St Thomas. Of coarse he's going to the Caribbean during prime hurricane season so who knows how this will work out.

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I was in Juneau last week.  They're not hurting as much as you'd think.  Most of the shops at the port aren't locally owned.  The Twisted Fish restaurant is closed, but they are surviving through their other restaurant, the Hangar, which is open.  It had a decent crowd on the night I ate there.  It seemed the excursion pilots are taking the biggest hit.  

I'm sure there are other individuals who are impacted, but probably not any more than those around the country whose businesses are closed or severely limited.   

Ah The Twisted Fish... I had the salmon croquettes and Alaskan Pale Ale while in Juneau -- delicious combination!  Will definitely be back by land or sea one day...

Meanwhile, here PortMiami is not faring so great.  Loss of funds for workers, lower revenue for the County and surrounding port businesses to a tune of 7 billion. 

• Like 1

I think the hardest hit will be the shops within the ports as i guess they will pay a premium for being there. Also the tour operators that RCL book onboard. I guess from my experience most stroll around the very local area and go in ship only tours. 

But this all depends on the location of the port to the shops, city centres

11 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Thanks!  That is good to know.  So many good people there.  We won't be in Juneau this trip, heading to Arctic Circle, Denali, Seward, and then two weeks in Homer to replace the B2B Radiance cruises.  All "road trip"!!  😉 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Hawaii must be hurting too. My son had lifted and shifted a June land vacation to California to August in Hawaii. Now Hawaii extended the 14 day quarantine to September. He is now booked to go to St Thomas. Of coarse he's going to the Caribbean during prime hurricane season so who knows how this will work out.

We had to cancel our land based three week trip to Hawaii due to restrictions, was to celebrate anniversary and big milestone birthday.  So much for that as well.  😞 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Ah The Twisted Fish... I had the salmon croquettes and Alaskan Pale Ale while in Juneau -- delicious combination!  Will definitely be back by land or sea one day...

Meanwhile, here PortMiami is not faring so great.  Loss of funds for workers, lower revenue for the County and surrounding port businesses to a tune of 7 billion. 

Would be by boat/ship or fly in.  😉  Can't drive there.  

56 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes, I'm aware.  Would fly in.  I'm dying to take one of those seaplanes.  Did you take one when you were there?

Yes, we did.  Three times...on same tour.  Taku Glacier fly in, with Salmon bake and 5 glacier tour.  Fabulous!  Was booked again for doomed Radiance B2B next month.   Sigh...that one is cancelled along with our cruises.  😞 

• Like 1

boatbuilder

Your optimistic depiction of Florida's method of dealing with the virus is certainly not shared by our numerous relatives who have lived in Florida for most of their lives. This includes our family  in Orlando, Jacksonville, and Sarasota.

Edited by lynncarol
  • Like 2

Can only imagine how major port towns and cities are faring now.  The economies are shifting to grapple with the new reality of loss of ship monies.  It would be interesting to see a report on how these places are doing now.  The build up of cruising over the last 10+ years has certainly created a good portion of work is based around all us us enjoying what these countries and places have to offer.Some, like Key West and Venice had been and are looking at how to reduce cruise ship volumes.  I wonder if this will become more wide spread?

6 hours ago, island lady said:

We had to cancel our land based three week trip to Hawaii due to restrictions, was to celebrate anniversary and big milestone birthday.  So much for that as well.  😞 

What a shame. So sorry about that.

• Like 1

Yes, I was shocked when I went to Juneau and all the other Alaska ports and found that most of the shops were the same as in the Caribbean. The employees of those shops were not local either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Yes, I was shocked when I went to Juneau and all the other Alaska ports and found that most of the shops were the same as in the Caribbean. The employees of those shops were not local either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

However those employees were renting rooms and spending money at local establishments during the tourist season.

This is very common in short season type of vacation destination.  Think, ski resorts etc.   There is simply not enough people willing to live in a town in Alaska full time just for 4 months of employment.  Outside of the "season" there is not enough jobs/money to make living at the Alaska town full time.

Thus potential employees move from location to location.

I am sure the local residents who rent rooms, own restaurants etc, appreciate these part timers.  With the shutdown the locals who rent rooms, own restaurants are taking a financial hit.

Also 

On 7/17/2020 at 4:42 PM, boatseller said:

Oh boy, I though you had me there for a second, but no.  Happy to see someone like Steve Geller disagrees with me...means I'm right.

I've pointed out before, ICU capacity is not a crisis.  "ICU bed capacity at Memorial West Hospital in Pembroke Pines is at 180 percent."  They at 180% because they just assign more beds.  There is also no equipment shortage.

"vice mayor said people’s ignorance about the virus and insistence on not following the rules"  He's just a politician having a fit because people don't agree with him.  There's also other considerations.

You do realize this is a national crisis, not a Florida alone crisis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Reid said:

You do realize this is a national crisis, not a Florida alone crisis.

Apparently not and opinion is Florida isn't in a crisis at all unless all of the ICU beds are full. Call 007 because it's Live and let Die in Florida.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Apparently not and opinion is Florida isn't in a crisis at all unless all of the ICU beds are full. Call 007 because it's Live and let Die in Florida.

That's funny....I am not dead yet.  Go figure.  

• Like 1

Barbados isn’t giving up safety for tourists dollars. 

According to Barbados' revised protocols for the health and safety of the tourism sector, countries have been categorized as high, medium, and low risk depending on the number of COVID-19 cases, country population, deaths, and testing levels. 

High-risk countries

Refers to countries with more than 10, 000 new cases in seven prior days and community transmission. Countries that fall under this category include the USA, Brazil, Peru, Mexico, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Russia, and India. 

Passengers arriving in Barbados from high-risk countries with a negative PCR test will be quarantined for seven consecutive days at an approved facility and must undergo a second PCR test at the end of the seven-day tenure. 

It doesn’t say much more for what happens with the medium and low risk countries.

Link to article. http://www.loopnewsbarbados.com/content/barbados-lists-high-medium-and-low-risk-countries

Edited by A&L_Ont