Where in the Caribbean would you return for a Land-only vacation?

2chiefs

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think the question really is if it's domestic or international first. I know that the US to Jamaica is an international flight but is it still domestic first you are talking about? Is international first available on flights from the US to Jamaica?

Most people probably understand what normal first class means but there is a BIG difference between domestic first in the US, which in most places should be called business class and not first  class, and international first.

I agree most of the times we flown to Jamaica it was same as domestic first , but we did have the pods on one of our trips and our trip to Dominican Republic also had the pods and cost was about the same . Since flight is only about 3 hours for us   It’s not a big deal. Although nowadays pods would be a good way to social distance. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

I agree most of the times we flown to Jamaica it was same as domestic first , but we did have the pods on one of our trips and our trip to Dominican Republic also had the pods and cost was about the same . Since flight is only about 3 hours for us   It’s not a big deal. Although nowadays pods would be a good way to social distance. 

My guess, which is only a guess, is that what they offer, and what you pay for, on those routes is domestic first. Sometimes they use planes which are equipped for the longer international routes and then you get "a pod" even if you book and pay for domestic first. Was the service and food when you had the pod better than it usually is or was it the same as when you fly domestic first?

Just now, sverigecruiser said:

My guess, which is only a guess, is that what they offer, and what you pay for, on those routes is domestic first. Sometimes they use planes which are equipped for the longer international routes and then you get "a pod" even if you book and pay for domestic first. Was the service and food when you had the pod better than it usually is or was it the same as when you fly domestic first?

Agree on it all depends on plane, service was the same on both for food and most importantly drinks.  We had a unusually early flight which I hate at 5 am on one of the flights and almost all in first was drinking Bloody Marys before plane took off. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m so glad to see Cuba mentioned so many times. I was fascinated with my cruise there and would love to return.

We take a 7-10 day land vacation in Puerto Rico every year  (we just returned last week). Truly one of the most diverse destinations in the Caribbean. So much to offer.

Theres one island which I don’t care much for as a cruise destination. So I was very surprised when I liked it so much as a land destination: Cozumel. Because we were there on days when there were no cruise ships docked, we got to experience how sleepy and relaxing the place truly is without the hordes of day cruisers. We explored the entire island, including the off the beaten path Atlantic coast, as well as many places not frequented by tourists. Very enjoyable. 

It would be hard to say anywhere in the US. The value is simply not there for the most part compared to a cruise. For me, it is entertainment and relaxation for vacation. We use to go to Disney when the cost was less than a cruise. Now that the cost is almost 2x a cruise we can no longer afford to go. If we go to say Hilton Head right now, we would be paying ~$200/night for a hotel, at a minimum $50pp/day for food. Drinks and other things would be another add on. All of that is well over the cost of a cruise which includes entertainment, places to see, and things to do. All of that is an extra cost elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

It would be hard to say anywhere in the US. The value is simply not there for the most part compared to a cruise. For me, it is entertainment and relaxation for vacation. We use to go to Disney when the cost was less than a cruise. Now that the cost is almost 2x a cruise we can no longer afford to go. If we go to say Hilton Head right now, we would be paying ~$200/night for a hotel, at a minimum $50pp/day for food. Drinks and other things would be another add on. All of that is well over the cost of a cruise which includes entertainment, places to see, and things to do. All of that is an extra cost elsewhere. 

Agree with this! National parks are OK but not relaxing or entertaining for us. We are considering trips to Nashville, Branson or Myrtle Beach which are not too far of a drive from our area. But I think the entertainment will still be limited until the pandemic eases up (through vaccines or therapeutics)...  

T

• Like 1

Pretty much anywhere.  I love almost all.  Have stayed on Aruba for a week and Puerto Rico for a week.  

Something to consider:  If you have Medicare, it is good in Puerto Rico and the USVI.  Also check where your cell phone works.  Brush up on your Spanish just about anywhere.

7 minutes ago, truwoman said:

Brush up on your Spanish just about anywhere.

But not Antigua,  Barbados,  St Lucia, Cayman Islands, Grenada, Jamaica,Trinidad and Tobago, Montserrat, St Kitts and Nevis etc. 

Man, you need to check out your geography and your history! 

Edited by wowzz
  • Haha 1

We have been to most of the caribbean, but always come back to Cuba (15 times). Barbados, St Maarten, Cozumel. Costa Rica was good but beaches dont have the same appeal. 

Love cruises too, must be 18 by now, but prefer to use them for exotic trips now....India, Africa, Vietnam, Japan etc. 

Fell in love with Bequia on Grenadine cruise but havent got back  or stayed for a proper trip there. 

Our first cruise to the Caribbean, we spent a whole week in San Juan before the cruise, since I figured, it was a pain to get to, might as well take full advantage. I'd totally do that again. (Maybe not a full week, but at least a few days.)

We haven't been to Jamaica yet, but that's another island that seems like it deserves more than one afternoon - it's on my list.

edit:

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But not Antigua,  Barbados,  St Lucia, Cayman Islands, Grenada, Jamaica,Trinidad and Tobago, Montserrat, St Kitts and Nevis etc. 

Man, you need to check out your geography and your history! 

I mean... I know what you're trying to say (that Spanish isn't the primary language everywhere - though honestly, English was widely spoken pretty much everywhere we went, anyway) - but Spanish is useful almost anywhere. It's useful in the US! Heck, I remember one of the funniest attempts at communication, was when we were in a little shop in Venice, the shopkeep spoke no English, and neither of us spoke any Italian. Turns out the shopkeep spoke just enough Spanish to get by... and so does my wife. So they could both converse in Spanish just enough that she could ask about the prices, etc. Was fun to watch.

Edited by neminem
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, neminem said:

Our first cruise to the Caribbean, we spent a whole week in San Juan before the cruise, since I figured, it was a pain to get to, might as well take full advantage. I'd totally do that again. (Maybe not a full week, but at least a few days.)

We haven't been to Jamaica yet, but that's another island that seems like it deserves more than one afternoon - it's on my list.

edit:

I mean... I know what you're trying to say (that Spanish isn't the primary language everywhere - though honestly, English was widely spoken pretty much everywhere we went, anyway) - but Spanish is useful almost anywhere. It's useful in the US! Heck, I remember one of the funniest attempts at communication, was when we were in a little shop in Venice, the shopkeep spoke no English, and neither of us spoke any Italian. Turns out the shopkeep spoke just enough Spanish to get by... and so does my wife. So they could both converse in Spanish just enough that she could ask about the prices, etc. Was fun to watch.

Try speaking Spanish in Antigua and see how far you get!

My point was that you made a vast generalisation,  and whilst Spanish can be useful, heck, I lived in Spain for 10 years, in the English speaking islands, knowledge of Spanish is of no use at all.

What is useful is a good understanding of the rules of cricket, and the difference between "silly mid on", "third man",  "deep fine leg" and "extra cover".  And obviously the difference between a "googly" and a "yorker". 

On 7/26/2020 at 9:59 PM, donaldsc said:

... Just fly to Canada and then book a flight from a Canadian city to Cuba.  I see no reason why I can't go to Cuba.  Everyone else in the world can go...

For many in the US, the preferred route both in terms of cost and convenience is to fly via Mexico.  No real need to go North to fly South.  I understand the logic for those up North, but for those in the South and Southwest I would explore flying via Mexico.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:48 PM, Tapi said:

Theres one island which I don’t care much for as a cruise destination. So I was very surprised when I liked it so much as a land destination: Cozumel. Because we were there on days when there were no cruise ships docked, we got to experience how sleepy and relaxing the place truly is without the hordes of day cruisers. We explored the entire island, including the off the beaten path Atlantic coast, as well as many places not frequented by tourists. Very enjoyable. 

I find your statement to be true regarding that it's more enjoyable to be in port on days when ships aren't there.  I like cruising, but the passengers tend to swamp certain ports during the day to the point that it's not worth going into town.

I hope you were also able to cross over to the Rivera Maya side during your stay.  Lot's of nice things to see on that side as well.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 5:48 PM, Tapi said:

I’m so glad to see Cuba mentioned so many times. I was fascinated with my cruise there and would love to return.

We take a 7-10 day land vacation in Puerto Rico every year  (we just returned last week). Truly one of the most diverse destinations in the Caribbean. So much to offer.

This happens at lots of islands. There are many days when the 20,000 to 25,000 day trippers coming off visiting cruise ships come close to overwhelming the 46,000 residents of St. Maarten (many of whom stay home, or in school, or at work) during those days.  While we love staying on the island for a couple of weeks every January, we find it something of a dismal mob scene when visiting as a cruise passenger.

We agree that Puerto Rico has a lot going for it - beautiful Spanish colonial architecture, great restaurants, fine beaches, general Caribbean history.

• Like 1

We’ve been on several cruises and land vacations in the Caribbean, so we’ve been to quite a few of the islands. We stopped in Grand Cayman in January. We loved it there so much, we plan to do a land vacation there. Second for me I think would be St Maarten, just because Orient Beach was so much fun. Although, if it didn’t have to be Caribbean, I’d go back to Key West in a heartbeat. We spent a couple of amazing weeks there.