Vaccination by Christmas? Many takers?

Harry Peterson

On 7/24/2020 at 6:54 PM, bobupandown said:

Try This on your glasses

One blob of Washing Up Liquid on each glass, clean off with a soft cloth / glass cloth.    Put your mask on then your glasses will steam to begin with, after that it should be fine.

Only works with Washing Up Liquid.

Bob

It can damage the coatings on lenses due to acidic nature of the liquid.

https://www.visionexpress.com/eye-health/how-to-clean-your-glasses

On 7/24/2020 at 6:54 PM, bobupandown said:

Try This on your glasses

One blob of Washing Up Liquid on each glass, clean off with a soft cloth / glass cloth.    Put your mask on then your glasses will steam to begin with, after that it should be fine.

Only works with Washing Up Liquid.

Bob

When I was diving, we spat on the inside of our masks to stop them steaming up. Probably not the best option at the moment, but very effective. Rubbing raw garlic works as well.😂

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, zap99 said:

When I was diving, we spat on the inside of our masks to stop them steaming up. Probably not the best option at the moment, but very effective. Rubbing raw garlic works as well.😂

If it doesn't stop your glasses steaming up it will definitely keep people 2 metres away from you, if not more.😆

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

That would certainly improve social distancing.

Bloomin heck I've done it again.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Bloomin heck I've done it again.

For a moment there John I thought you were singing the Yorkshire version of 

an old Britney Spears song ...     🎶 Bloomin heck I've done it again.🎵🎶   :classic_wink::classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few points from the Carnival Seminar:

• Took US 5 months to administer H1N1 flu vaccine to 80m people. This would be too slow
  • Annual Flu vaccine is only 40% effective. Varies year by year. This compares to Measles vaccine which is over 95% effective.
  • Currently 27 vaccines under production worldwide that have reached human trials. 2 have reached final stage trials. 4 others are close to final stage.
  • Would need to immunize at least 70% of population, if vaccine is 100% effective to avoid mass community transmission.
  • Still expecting closer to mid-2021 for at-scale distribution.
  • UK Oxford vaccine progress is good for all, but must not assume that its done deal.
  • Different segments of population may need different vaccines.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

• Took US 5 months to administer H1N1 flu vaccine to 80m people. This would be too slow
  • Annual Flu vaccine is only 40% effective. Varies year by year. This compares to Measles vaccine which is over 95% effective.
  • Currently 27 vaccines under production worldwide that have reached human trials. 2 have reached final stage trials. 4 others are close to final stage.
  • Would need to immunize at least 70% of population, if vaccine is 100% effective to avoid mass community transmission.
  • UK Oxford vaccine progress is good for all, but must not assume that its done deal.

Thanks. I’d hoped to log in, but work overran! 

5 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Did they have any thoughts on when their ex-U.K. cruises may recommence? Also, weren’t they going to announce the next batch of cancellations around now? 

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Did they have any thoughts on when their ex-U.K. cruises may recommence? Also, weren’t they going to announce the next batch of cancellations around now? 

It was completely cruise free. Not what many were expecting.

Good money seems to be an announcement between now and the end of the month. But I couldn’t tell you what will be announced.

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Good money seems to be an announcement between now and the end of the month. But I couldn’t tell you what will be announced.

Thanks. A bit concerning if they’ve given up on even talking about the purpose of their business, especially having read the traders notes on their current plight (18 months from insolvency etc), but I guess there is nothing to say and, with the cash burn that they are experiencing, there is nothing to be gained by them announcing earlier than they need to. 

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. A bit concerning if they’ve given up on even talking about the purpose of their business, especially having read the traders notes on their current plight (18 months from insolvency etc), but I guess there is nothing to say and, with the cash burn that they are experiencing, there is nothing to be gained by them announcing earlier than they need to. 

I watched a you tube review by the RCI CEO (I think) which similarly said very little about cruising, but was very scathing about the way Covid is being handled by their govt, he didn't actually name Trump but his intent was clear, and he seemed to be writing off the entire US winter season, and no real date given for a re-start.  He was much more upbeat about the situation in Europe and commented on their re-start in Germany, which I assume meant their 50% JV in Mein Schiff.

12 hours ago, molecrochip said:

This morning hearing that this might not now even happen. I believe the whole Spain issue has spooked everyone. Added to this, Italy are tightening their restrictions again. This could lead to the Costa restart being affected as well. 

I think the next couple of weeks is now going to be crucial. Despite the easing of restrictions on 4 July, the UK has not seen a significant increase in new cases. If the UK can keep their rolling average down (currently 697.7 per day compared to 555 at the start of July and 5,194.6 at the peak (11/04)) then there is a chance that our changes are working.

However, my concern is that over the next two weeks, the numbers are going to climb as a result of more infection caught overseas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

This morning hearing that this might not now even happen. I believe the whole Spain issue has spooked everyone. Added to this, Italy are tightening their restrictions again. This could lead to the Costa restart being affected as well. 

I think the next couple of weeks is now going to be crucial. Despite the easing of restrictions on 4 July, the UK has not seen a significant increase in new cases. If the UK can keep their rolling average down (currently 697.7 per day compared to 555 at the start of July and 5,194.6 at the peak (11/04)) then there is a chance that our changes are working.

However, my concern is that over the next two weeks, the numbers are going to climb as a result of more infection caught overseas.

Not looking good for my Ventura cruise at the end of October for which the balance is due this weekend. I would prefer to know one way or the other before I need to pay but this looks unlikely. At least if I pay and have to be refunded, I should have the money to subsidise Christmas.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Not looking good for my Ventura cruise at the end of October for which the balance is due this weekend. I would prefer to know one way or the other before I need to pay but this looks unlikely. At least if I pay and have to be refunded, I should have the money to subsidise Christmas.

Do you feel confident about paying them a large sum of money, for a cruise that in all probability won't go ahead?

The reason I ask is that there are people still waiting for refunds of their March cruise - I don't think I'll be giving P&O any more of my money until they sort out their refund process, and there is some clarity about the whole Covid 19 situation in general, and also confirmation of what their plans are for the onboard experience and how they would deal with any virus cases on board.

I hope you don't mind me asking! 

• Like 1