Name for new ship coming in 2022

tidecat

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

So there you go. Who cares what they name the new ship? The names invoke no romance, anticipation, or passion in the potential passenger and are just extraneous details. I'm okay with that.

It could just as well be called Carnival Ship Number 35. Or it could be given a regular name like Carnival Kevin or Carnival Josephine. The people don't care.

Maybe it's time for Carnival to sail naming rights?

The new ship could be something like "Carnival Palisade, presented by Hyundai". 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tidecat said:

Maybe it's time for Carnival to sail naming rights?

The new ship could be something like "Carnival Palisade, presented by Hyundai". 

That would be great, and then the naming rights would expire and someone else would buy them, and you’d book another cruise on this completely different ship and be like, hey, this is the same stupid ship as last time!

6 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Come on. Of course people know the name before embarkation or while in port. However,  once the trip is over, they no longer need to remain that info in their minds. The record is kept online on the Carnival site. 

I seriously cannot count the insanely high number of instances in which I’ve had the pleasure to have conversations with people inside of a hotel environment located in a major port city’s destination. Most of the time, these people barely know the name of the cruise line and struggle to even come up with something... they need help along the way and don’t even know the ports they are sailing to. Occasionally, it’s one person booking the cruise and the rest just show up.

When there’s several Princess ships or Royal Caribbean ships in Port Everglades, not everyone knows which one they’re going to. It’s usually “The Princess” even to experienced cruisers. Mid-vacation, there are several who have trouble with comprehension (sometimes due to the way their time is spent or any drugs/alcohol involved) and only know the cruise line — if they’re lucky. The locals can usually identify them sooner from the towels or any complimentary accessories.

If you think everyone knows their ship’s name on embarkation day, especially prior to boarding, I have a bridge to sell you.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sealynx said:

Since I still don't understand why with Mardi Gras they forget the Carnival-prefix, I hope they will bring that back. It might have been a good idea to distinguish a new flag ship, but any new ship is the future's golden oldy. Just like the Grand Princess, once the biggest cruise ship afloat, now not so much. They could almost change her name to Medium Princess for that matter. Personally also not a fan of the useless -e on the end of Carnivale, Festivale and Tropicale (like those malls that call them selves 'east towne mall' or so, it's just wrong and looks horrible). So all in all Carnival Carnival could do, but that is just weird. So if they want to recycle an old name Carnival Festival (actually a kids ride in a Dutch theme park 🙂) or Carnival Tropical would do. But my own personal favourite would be Carnival Jubelee, because it is also the name of a London Underground line.

They left off the "Carnival" prefix for the new Mardi Gras as a hearkening back to the origins of the cruise line - because that is how the ships were named up until the mid 1990s, and the Fantasy class ships got renamed in 2007 by adding the prefix (if I'm reading my history correctly).

The Carnival Sensation was originally just "Sensation", for example.

The "e" on the end is the French spelling (although there is overlap with Italian and Spanish too).  It isn't useless, it is the correct spelling for that language.  That was the "mood" they were going for, originally, as far as I know.  "Mardi Gras" is French for Fat Tuesday.

Anyway, I hope they name the new ship using one of those throw back names like Festivale or Tropicale or even Carnivale.  All with "e" at the end.

21 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

They left off the "Carnival" prefix for the new Mardi Gras as a hearkening back to the origins of the cruise line - because that is how the ships were named up until the mid 1990s, and the Fantasy class ships got renamed in 2007 by adding the prefix (if I'm reading my history correctly).

The Carnival Sensation was originally just "Sensation", for example.

The "e" on the end is the French spelling (although there is overlap with Italian and Spanish too).  It isn't useless, it is the correct spelling for that language.  That was the "mood" they were going for, originally, as far as I know.  "Mardi Gras" is French for Fat Tuesday.

Anyway, I hope they name the new ship using one of those throw back names like Festivale or Tropicale or even Carnivale.  All with "e" at the end.

Your history lesson is correct.  I would bet they choose one of those two names.  WIth all the recent articles, Carnival seems a good fit to me.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:10 AM, xDisconnections said:

If you think everyone knows their ship’s name on embarkation day, especially prior to boarding, I have a bridge to sell you.

They know the name because it's on their boarding pass.  That's enough. 

20 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

They know the name because it's on their boarding pass.  That's enough. 

And they all have they memorized and readily available? What about when one person prints them instead of individually or the cruise lines doing them digitally?

I like Festivale, Tropicale, and Jubilee.

I don’t like Carnivale because whether the word Carnival is front of it or not, we are going to have to specify that it is a Carnival ship when speaking about it, therefore making it the Carnival Carnivale even if it’s not written on the ship.

When I’m talking to people about wanting to sail Mardi Gras I definitely need to preface the Carnival.

Also I am baffled when people make their future cruise a topic of conversation yet they don’t know what cruise line they’re taking, what ship, or even where it’s going. We can’t talk about that. All I can say is “Oh well I’m sure you’ll have fun!”.

It’s especially sad when they come back and give the cruise line a bad rep because they booked without researching and had no idea what they were walking into.