14 day Quarantine starting tomorrow for travellers from Spain

jeanlyon

I purposely bought travel insurance the other week prior to booking my flight to Madrid for next week. That was now a waste of money and I will therefore rely on my EHIC card.

Weighing up the risks and rewards we will still fly out to see my DD and SIL. I will also self isolate when I return, as fortunately for me I'm freelance and can do all my work from home. 

If my emotional desire to see my DD has superseded what others consider common sense then so be it. 

• Like 4

The quickest U-turn in history?

BBC News - Coronavirus: UK in talks with Spain over air bridges for Balearic and Canary Islands
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53552888

Given that the government had all the data last week, the excuse that they need to examine the figures before making a decision on Friday,  is purely a face saving exercise. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, but thousands of people will have booked holidays to Spain long before anyone had even heard of CV19. And if they decided to cancel, prior to the new restrictions imposed by the government,  they would have forfeited the entire cost of their holiday.   

That would depend on when they booked and the working of their insurance, but I did say at the moment. Anyone booking before about mid March should have been covered.

27 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I purposely bought travel insurance the other week prior to booking my flight to Madrid for next week. That was now a waste of money and I will therefore rely on my EHIC card.

Before Harry comes along ..... but only until the end of the year can you look to the EHIC card, unless there's an agreement.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’d have been no lover of the government which brought in the National Health Service in 1948, then, despite Conservative opposition.

That is not what I said and you know it. Some have private health insurance to supplement NHS. When my DW wanted to see a consultant and the NHS wanted 2 months we paid privately and saw the same consultant in 2 days. We all have choices to make and risks to assess.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Very few, probably, but the better policies paid out. Cheapest isn’t always best, particularly with something like travel insurance.

It irks me to agree again with Harry, but I had 2 main choices for our new annual travel policy which we took out in November, we always had one but the old insurer effectively stropped covering over 75s by massively increasing the cost, super was the basic and super duper the premium one.  the latter has, almost, provided covid cover throughout, but the super one doesn't.  The premium difference was fairly small and the  lower excess fee almost covered that, so you pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

That is not what I said and you know it. Some have private health insurance to supplement NHS. When my DW wanted to see a consultant and the NHS wanted 2 months we paid privately and saw the same consultant in 2 days. We all have choices to make and risks to assess.

"I want the Government to give advice and make some rules. If some folks want a protective blanket to cuddle up to at night, look elsewhere please. I don't want that kind of government."

I don't think I misrepresented you, given the above direct quote.  Most ordinary people, of ordinary means, would agree, I think, that the NHS is about the best protective blanket this country ever produced, given how difficult it was pre-1948 for ordinary people to access good healthcare.  The last vestiges of workhouses didn't disappear until 1948 either.

Not everyone can afford to see a consultant privately when the NHS is forced into delaying appointments.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

"I want the Government to give advice and make some rules. If some folks want a protective blanket to cuddle up to at night, look elsewhere please. I don't want that kind of government."

I don't think I misrepresented you, given the above direct quote.  Most ordinary people, of ordinary means, would agree, I think, that the NHS is about the best protective blanket this country ever produced, given how difficult it was pre-1948 for ordinary people to access good healthcare.  The last vestiges of workhouses didn't disappear until 1948 either.

Not everyone can afford to see a consultant privately when the NHS is forced into delaying appointments.

Simple really. If you can afford something you want, buy it. If you can't afford it, don't. If you can't afford to quarantine for 14 days, don't take the risk. If you go and get caught out, don't expect that the government will bail you out. I can't remember much pre 1948 as I wasn't around . My formative years in London were in the '60's, but some of that is a bit fuzzy.😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Simple really. If you can afford something you want, buy it. If you can't afford it, don't. If you can't afford to quarantine for 14 days, don't take the risk. If you go and get caught out, don't expect that the government will bail you out. I can't remember much pre 1948 as I wasn't around . My formative years in London were in the '60's, but some of that is a bit fuzzy.😂

wow let them eat cake kind of person heh, Thatcher was obviously  your idol, i am more of a humanitarian if the government gives advice you follow it than they should not abandon you,as for being able to afford to go on holiday what if your on a low income and you save so you can take your children on holiday should that exclude you.

• Like 2

Ryanair are still running flights to Mainland Spain.  Unless it has changed very recently, easyJet are also providing a service.  These are two of the largest budget carriers and neither are renowned for high levels of customer service or attentiveness to the issue of refunds. 

Whilst the airlines continue to operate the flights, refunds will not be paid and the customer will be squeezed on the insurance by either it not being valid, or being based on "post pandemic" T&C's.

Until this changes, many will continue to go on holiday to the affected areas.  Many of the same group will have a very difficult choice to make about quarantine as they potentially have access to no occupational sick pay for the two weeks in isolation.  Not everyone will feel able to make the right, civic duty led, choice.

The economics of this will influence people, particularly with the virus bring very much in the UK too.  The same will happen when it comes to any similar scenario with cruise ships.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

You're my wife now..........😉

[Probably meaningless to quite a few - apologies!]

years ago took the kids to the local farm as they were feeding some sheep i said to the beloved i fancy some lamb for dinner,they called me a heartless thoughtless beast,so sorry Harry i am immune to you 

7 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

wow let them eat cake kind of person heh, Thatcher was obviously  your idol, i am more of a humanitarian if the government gives advice you follow it than they should not abandon you,as for being able to afford to go on holiday what if your on a low income and you save so you can take your children on holiday should that exclude you.

You are assuming stuff based on zero information. Thatcher was not my idol, but the exact opposite. I do believe that having saved all my life to enjoy travel during our retirement I should not be criticised because some people can't afford it. Should Harry be criticised if he wants a suite, or forced to pay for upgrades for those that can't afford it. Not everyone can afford a cruise.

JET2 has cancelled all of its flights and holidays to mainland Spain until August 17 

as from tomorrow but all Spanish flights to any of their Islands remain operational.

5 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

years ago took the kids to the local farm as they were feeding some sheep i said to the beloved i fancy some lamb for dinner,they called me a heartless thoughtless beast,so sorry Harry i am immune to you 

You're lucky. Not everyone can afford Lamb. Now sausages, We used to eat sausages pre Thatcher.😂

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

You are assuming stuff based on zero information. Thatcher was not my idol, but the exact opposite. I do believe that having saved all my life to enjoy travel during our retirement I should not be criticised because some people can't afford it. Should Harry be criticised if he wants a suite, or forced to pay for upgrades for those that can't afford it. Not everyone can afford a cruise.

Alas your not alone having to work all your life for the little extras in life some of us had to work that little bit harder than most because of my background, but i don't begrudge anyone having a holiday

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

You're lucky. Not everyone can afford Lamb. Now sausages, We used to eat sausages pre Thatcher.😂

Lamb was cheap pre common market now its a luxury, faggots chips and peas now that was the food of the gods

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The quickest U-turn in history?

BBC News - Coronavirus: UK in talks with Spain over air bridges for Balearic and Canary Islands
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53552888

Given that the government had all the data last week, the excuse that they need to examine the figures before making a decision on Friday,  is purely a face saving exercise. 

Or maybe the package travel organisation has made a big donation to the Tories, not my own view, but I can think of some who might think that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Lamb was cheap pre common market now its a luxury, faggots chips and peas now that was the food of the gods

Post Brexit we may all be able to afford that nice Lamb from Wales again, or even New Zealand. Being from down south we don't eat faggots. I wouldn't even know how to catch one. I would Google it, but dread to think.........😁

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck
  • Haha 3

If I am not mistaken the same rules are applied to Brazil as well (and to Russia probably). I wonder how long this travelling regime will last, cause in my opinion there should some 1-2 month of a waiting period to make sure that people have settled at home and have waited over the necessary amount of time for the virus to "dissolve" 

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

If I am not mistaken the same rules are applied to Brazil as well (and to Russia probably). I wonder how long this travelling regime will last, cause in my opinion there should some 1-2 month of a waiting period to make sure that people have settled at home and have waited over the necessary amount of time for the virus to "dissolve" 

err ok still trying to figure out 2 month rule

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Post Brexit we may all be able to afford that nice Lamb from Wales again, or even New Zealand. Being from down south we don't eat faggots. I wouldn't even know how to catch one. I would Google it, but dread to think.........😁

We regularly eat lamb, hogget and mutton here in Scotland. Waste not want not.

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

We regularly eat lamb, hogget and mutton here in Scotland. Waste not want not.

Hogget and Mutton are becoming quite trendy now. Is a ***** like a rissol? or are they different species. Being thick , I assume a ***** is a bit like a juvenile haggis.