Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

53 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

After finally reading through all 25 pages, we have decided to go with Albergo del Senato.  Our cruise isn't for 529 more days so bookings haven't opened yet.  When should we start looking or can I email them now to secure a room?

I would email them to find out how far in advance you can book a room and then mark that date.  If you are interested in a Pantheon view, read their room descriptions as they are very clear which room classifications have the view.  Their view rooms often require a minimum number of nights (e.g. 3 or 4 nights) which is another reason that you should book as far in advance as you can.

image.thumb.png.bbd7f711ddb880575b721a575e33ee36.png

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would say it's too early now. Email them for best rates when it's about a year away. Dealing directly with the hotel is the best route, either via their own website (be careful as some consolidators have started creating sub-sites that "appear" to be that of the individual hotel but is not....!) or by email. 

Request a Pantheon-view room. Their standard response is that they cannot guarantee it but when you book directly through them you stand a much better chance of getting that request fulfilled.

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I would email them to find out how far in advance you can book a room and then mark that date.  If you are interested in a Pantheon view, read their room descriptions as they are very clear which room classifications have the view.  Their view rooms often require a minimum number of nights (e.g. 3 or 4 nights) which is another reason that you should book as far in advance as you can.

image.thumb.png.bbd7f711ddb880575b721a575e33ee36.png

I did reach out to them today to see when booking would be available. I plan to book a superior double which states Pantheon view. We plan to stay 3 nights post cruise. We’ll book as soon as possible so we can get what we want. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I did reach out to them today to see when booking would be available. I plan to book a superior double which states Pantheon view. We plan to stay 3 nights post cruise. We’ll book as soon as possible so we can get what we want. 

When I had to cancel last year for June 2022, I reached out to hotel by email and asked when I could rebook.  It was March 2022 and they allowed me to book at that time for June 2023.  Was easy to work with them on the types of rooms as I wanted a junior suite and was able to book them.  I went with Hotel Damaso, which is their sister hotel with same owners, from what I understand, so hopefully they will let you book early.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That's what we stayed in and we very much enjoyed it. It was one of the highlights of our entire trip including the cruise.

You should verify what the minimum length stay is to reserve a Superior Double. I know of an individual who posted last month that he wanted to book one in Oct or Nov however 4 nights were required. Judging from their reservation calendar, I think 3 nights are required for this coming Jun. I know you are interested in 2024, you should just make sure you know what it is especially before buying your plane tickets. 

• Like 1

First of all, thank you to everyone for your advice and recommendations!  My question is does anyone have experience with Airbnb for a group of 10 people. Finding 5 rooms at a Pantheon location is slim to none for a 2 night pre cruise late September. I have contacted most all of the recommended hotels on this forum and waiting a response, but figure as a last resort I would try an another route.   TIA.   

35 minutes ago, CoolChange37 said:

First of all, thank you to everyone for your advice and recommendations!  My question is does anyone have experience with Airbnb for a group of 10 people. Finding 5 rooms at a Pantheon location is slim to none for a 2 night pre cruise late September. I have contacted most all of the recommended hotels on this forum and waiting a response, but figure as a last resort I would try an another route.   TIA.   

Have you tried Albergo Santa Chiara?  They are a somewhat larger property with more rooms, right behind the Pantheon.

I have no experience with AirBnb, sorry.

On 1/2/2023 at 8:00 PM, CoolChange37 said:

I'm going to email them now, thank you, CruiseMom42!!!

On 1/2/2023 at 7:55 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Have you tried Albergo Santa Chiara?  They are a somewhat larger property with more rooms, right behind the Pantheon.

I have no experience with AirBnb, sorry.

Good morning.   I have received confirmation of availability from Albergo Santa Chiara and the Hotel Novena. Out of these two, can you give me the "low down" for walkers and being close to restaurants, shopping and seeing a few of the "must see" sights.  And the pros and cons.  Already been to the Vatican so not going there this time.   And would love a recommendation for local or laid back restaurants in the area. We are not 5 course meal kinda people.    Thanks so much!  

16 minutes ago, CoolChange37 said:

Good morning.   I have received confirmation of availability from Albergo Santa Chiara and the Hotel Novena. Out of these two, can you give me the "low down" for walkers and being close to restaurants, shopping and seeing a few of the "must see" sights.  And the pros and cons.  Already been to the Vatican so not going there this time.   And would love a recommendation for local or laid back restaurants in the area. We are not 5 course meal kinda people.    Thanks so much!  

BTW, it is Navona, not Novena.

It makes no difference.  Both hotels are in the same neighborhood.  It is a 3 minute walk from one to the other.  Pick the one you like best.  

There are lots of restaurants and trattorias in the area.  The best thing is to stroll around, look at the menus, decide what you want to eat, and enjoy.  None of these places are 5-course menu types, including the very highly regarded Armando al Pantheon.   Also, look at the recommendations in the restaurant thread pinned next to this one.  99% of the restaurants mentioned are also trattorias.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolChange37 said:

I'll assume you mean Hotel Navona....  😉

The total distance between the 2 hotels is less than 5 minutes on foot, so it's hard to say which one is more convenient for walkers.  If you look at the Google map below, you can see that the Santa Chiara is a bit further east and perhaps a bit more central for seeing, e.g., Trevi Fountain, also closer to the Colosseum, Forum, and other Roman sites that lie to the SE of the hotel (look for the place marked as "Foro Traiano", the start of the major Roman ruins in that area which proceed southward.) So if you aren't planning on the Vatican, the Santa Chiara wins by a nose....

With regard to restaurants and shopping there are plenty in the immediate vicinity of both. The Hotel Navona being slightly closer to Campo dei Fiori with many restaurants and the Jewish Ghetto, which also has great places to eat what is probably the most traditional Roman cuisine, including artichokes prepared "alla romana" (in the roman style) and "alla giudeia" (in the Jewish style)....

Pros and cons:  Santa Chiara has a nicer breakfast buffet. It's got the feel of a traditional hotel. The Hotel Navona is a bit quirky in that it only includes several floors of a larger palazzo (not that uncommon for small hotels in Europe), so you have to go to floor 3 or 4 to check in. (Both hotels have elevators.)  Both are not in particularly noisy locations, but the Hotel Navona is on a quieter backstreet. If you get a street-facing room in the Santa Chiara it could be a bit noisier (not that I noticed it in either of my 2 stays there, but some people are more sensitive....)  Both have good A/C.

I do not have any idea what the triple accommodations actually look like in either place, so if I were you I'd also hunt for pics of those before making your decision. In general I think the Hotel Navona may have smaller rooms/bathrooms than the Santa Chiara.

Regarding places to eat -- can I suggest you post your question on the pinned topic about "All Things Food" -- I am less of a casual eater and more of a diner, so while I could make a few suggestions, you'll get more info from other knowledgeable posters there.

image.png.c5e140c272f3f4c5a158bfb03f1fd9c2.png

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 4

We booked Charme 308 for 3 nights prior to our back to back in October. @cruisemom42would you have any knowledge of this hotel? It looks to be in a good location for all the things we would like to do. I'd be interested in any info anyone has! Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 3:52 PM, GarCat88 said:

Not a Marriott property, but we just stayed at Hotel delle Nazaoni for 8 days prior to our cruise. Great location, Trevi Fountain is just around the corner. The hotel has a good buffet breakfast (free) to start your day. We were able to make arrangements with the hotel to pick us up from the airport for €65. 

On our next trip to Rome we would definitely consider staying here again. 

Any issues with the air conditioning? 

Kind of a generic question:

Are people using "Airbnb" as a generic term now for private rentals or are people using AirBnb only for their searches?  Curious because I don't see anyone mentioning VRBO or Plum Guide or others.  

On 2/3/2023 at 11:09 AM, slidergirl said:

Kind of a generic question:

Are people using "Airbnb" as a generic term now for private rentals or are people using AirBnb only for their searches?  Curious because I don't see anyone mentioning VRBO or Plum Guide or others.  

Most likely. It is interesting because we use the term VRBO more than the other.

Any recommendations for 3 star hotels near the Termini?  I'd prefer not going through 25 pages of his thread.  I took the train from the airport into Rome and then the train to Civi in 2022 and would like to do it again, so I don't want to get too far from the Termini.

The place I stayed in 2022 seems to not have any rooms for when I'm going to be back in Rome this November.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DCThunder said:
38 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Any recommendations for 3 star hotels near the Termini?

A search of this topic using the term termini returns 17 posts in addition to yours.

Edited by -Lew-
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...