Recruiting Crew Members

Lee Cruiser

I have been thinking about some of the things in this article.  While getting some cruisers (especially first time cruisers) to pay for a cruise in itself will take a lot of work, recruiting crew members may be even more difficult.  They have already been out of work for months (most without any pay.)  There are at a minimum two months (likely longer) before cruising will begin again.  Will these crew members take up other lines of work for income? Yes, the pay offered with cruise ships may be better, but will they be willing to risk their own health?  Will they be willing to come back to cramped quarters again? Will they be willing to do so with restrictions on visiting other countries?  Obviously, only they can answer these questions, but it certainly may be another challenge for cruise lines.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/07/27/1-big-potential-roadblock-for-carnival-royal-carib.aspx

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I have been thinking about some of the things in this article.  While getting some cruisers (especially first time cruisers) to pay for a cruise in itself will take a lot of work, recruiting crew members may be even more difficult.  They have already been out of work for months (most without any pay.)  There are at a minimum two months (likely longer) before cruising will begin again.  Will these crew members take up other lines of work for income? Yes, the pay offered with cruise ships may be better, but will they be willing to risk their own health?  Will they be willing to come back to cramped quarters again? Will they be willing to do so with restrictions on visiting other countries?  Obviously, only they can answer these questions, but it certainly may be another challenge for cruise lines.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/07/27/1-big-potential-roadblock-for-carnival-royal-carib.aspx

Yes, to all.  Sharing a stateroom with one other crew versus sharing a house with a dozen family members...

There are no health or safety regulations in third world factories.  Crew are not in the vulnerable categories, it is rarely to see an obese crew members and most chronic conditions prevent them from being hired.  Also, they are not being bombarded 24/7 with US media death counts.   You can not compare a typical American lifestyle with the home countries of most crew members.  

• Like 3

I am friends with dozens of crew members from Carnival on FB. Every one of them I have texted with lately, without exception, are looking forward to getting back to working on a cruise ship as soon as possible. I think the cruise lines face a lot of obstacles to resume operations, but finding crew members to work on their ships is likely not going to be a problem. 

• Like 7

These are certainly additional issues (Crew Members safety and their family values) that Carnival and other cruise lines will have to resolve. There is so much to contemplate in this Covid Era that the "Beards" as John Heald calls them are really "Earning Their Pay" these days.  

25 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am friends with dozens of crew members from Carnival on FB. Every one of them I have texted with lately, without exception, are looking forward to getting back to working on a cruise ship as soon as possible. I think the cruise lines face a lot of obstacles to resume operations, but finding crew members to work on their ships is likely not going to be a problem. 

A bigger problem than finding willing crew members will be finding HEALTHY  willing crew members. Ten potential crew members flown in from Manila for the AIDA cruise in Germany tested POSITIVE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Hope you are right.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

A bigger problem than finding willing crew members will be finding HEALTHY  willing crew members. Ten potential crew members flown in from Manila for the AIDA cruise in Germany tested POSITIVE.

Whoops.  This is what will make watching this so interesting.  Here's a link that also has other links mentioned.

https://crew-center.com/10-crew-members-aida-cruises-test-positive-covid-19

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

It's amazing how many people have the virus and never show any major symptoms, while others get extremely sick.  One college student in our church was at church last Sunday.  She was about to start work at a nursing home the following week, so she had the mandatory test the previous Friday.  Last Monday her test came back positive.  Over a week later, she still has not shown any symptoms, but she (and her family) are doing the required quarantine.  Imagine that scenario on a much bigger scale with crew from all over the world.

55 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

Have any current crew members been contacted yet about returning and have a new contract for a ship? 

I wouldn't think so, but don't know for sure.  Some of PhillyFan's contacts may be able to shed some light on that.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

yes, but that is 10 out of 750 which is like 1.3%, with 9 of them showing no symptoms. 

They are quarantining them and going to retest. I assume once they are cleared, they will still get to start work and sail. 

This process is just going to have to be factored into the restart timeline. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

Have any current crew members been contacted yet about returning and have a new contract for a ship? 

I have a friend who works on Royal.  She had a contract that was supposed to start in June.  That contract was cancelled and she has gotten no information about a new contract or recall date.  She is planning to return to work on ship though.  

As regulars know, our son is a member of Carnival’s Fun Squad.  We were literally just talking about going back to work n the ships.    He’s heard “buzz” that perhaps when cruises resume, the Crew will NOT be allowed to go into Port. That he said is a major game changer. 

His Contracts have been 6 Months, talk was that they were adding a month or two to Contracts. Now .... NO getting off the Ship in Ports???  Staying literally onboard for a minimum of 6 months, possibly more??   Mmmmm .... 

Who knows ?? Just advised him to remember this all new to the whole world. Take a wait & see attitude.  Other than that .... his friends havent heard anything on when or if they’ll be called back. We all just have to be patient.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Thanks 2