How are you all?

AndyMichelle

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Whenever there was a thunderstorm mum would switch off all the sockets and unplug everything, put all the cutlery away and cover anything metal, take the clips out of her hair and, believe or not, open the front and back door incase a lightening bolt came down the chimney so it could get out of the house. I used to think she was daft, but after reading these posts,  maybe not.

Avril 

We always unplug electric sockets if there is lightening nearby.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Whenever there was a thunderstorm mum would switch off all the sockets and unplug everything, put all the cutlery away and cover anything metal, take the clips out of her hair and, believe or not, open the front and back door incase a lightening bolt came down the chimney so it could get out of the house. I used to think she was daft, but after reading these posts,  maybe not.

Avril 

Yep Mrs K 's  mum used to do this and my mum as well :classic_rolleyes:

I used to end up in arguments with mine ,she only wanted me to take my jeans belt off 

until the storm had passed !  I always refused,if I was going to be struck with lightening

then in my mind it was going to happen with my pants up and not me singed to a crisp

with my pants fallen around my ankles .:classic_wacko: She would shake her head as though I was the 

crazy one ...Happy day's :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My mother in law was very scared of lightning. She’d hide in the cupboard under the stairs until the storm had passed. 

I used to like storms, but these days, I’m much more nervous. We haven’t had much lightning so far this year, but in recent years, we’ve had storms so bad that the lightning is constantly flashing. The sheer power is frightening 

• Like 4

The only time I was frightened was during a tropical storm. We were in a beach restaurant and they'd pulled down the bamboo blinds against the rain. A flash of lightening zipped past and we heard it sizzle and crackle, then the smell of cordite. That’s the only time I'd heard and smelled lightening and I never want to again. It scared me.

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I do that, that's sensible, but opening the front and back door?? 😞

Avril 

Surely a good idea. When your house gets stuck by lightening,  you can run out in any direction without having to unlock a door. Health and Safety at its best! 

Obviously you can also be burgled whilst everyone is huddled under the stairs, with all the doors open, but let's not go there!

• Haha 2

I hate storms. Especially in the night, always so much worse in the night.

My parents always used to unplug everything when there was a storm and we used to when we first got married but nowadays so many things are designed to stay on eg sky box that we don’t now. Hubby said we don’t need to now but I can’t remember the reason why!

Edited by P&O SUE

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

No, not me.  May I ask why?

Hi Sue

There was a forum set up by P&O way back in 2000 called Cruise Connections. Everybody used their real names back then. I can remember the names of some of the regular contributors and wrongly thought you and AnnieC were two of them.

Sorry if I spooked you a bit.

• Like 2

I remember Cruise Connections. It was a good forum for everything P&O.  It also meant that if you went onto the P&O website when you were away on a cruise you could access the website, then go into your account on Cruise Connections and send and receive messages without cost - it didn't cost to access the P&O website.  So if you gave your family your log in details they could get into  Cruise Connections and read the messages you'd posted about your cruise - naughty I know.  Eventually of course P&O caught on and Cruise Connections ceased! 

• Like 2

I remember Cruise Connections.  It was the first social media type of interaction I had for cruising. There was always a lot of angst about dress codes, if I remember correctly.  I haven’t seen a dress code thread for years, which, I think, is a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Hi Sue

There was a forum set up by P&O way back in 2000 called Cruise Connections. Everybody used their real names back then. I can remember the names of some of the regular contributors and wrongly thought you and AnnieC were two of them.

I remember the Sue you were alluding to. She popped up on a few other cruising forums but disappeared several years ago.  However, I’ve Googled her, and she is on Twitter and Facebook if you want to make contact! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Morning all... 

I don't think everyone here understands my sense of humour. 

I was going to tell you a Corona virus joke.. 

But there is a 97.7% chance you won't get it.. 😊

Have a good day everyone. 

Andy 

Thanks for the confirmation Andy, and we all understand your weird sense of humour, well mostly😉

Avril

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

Hi Sue

No you didn’t spook me I was just intrigued.

Cruise connections sounds good, unfortunately I didn’t start cruising until 2012 and found this forum in 2013!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I remember Cruise Connections.  It was the first social media type of interaction I had for cruising. There was always a lot of angst about dress codes, if I remember correctly.  I haven’t seen a dress code thread for years, which, I think, is a good thing. 

Maybe not a thread exactly, but I've seen many threads develop into one.

Avril

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

No you didn’t spook me I was just intrigued.

Cruise connections sounds good, unfortunately I didn’t start cruising until 2012 and found this forum in 2013!

Many of the discussions were inordinately ill-tempered. I used to read it occasionally but was far too terrified to post.😱

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Morning all... 

Andy 

Thank you Andy , a very good day to you as well.:classic_smile:

I love and understand your sense of humour and long may it last ! 

You're OK  I don’t suffer from insanity  ...  I enjoy every minute of it.:classic_smile:

animated-have-a-nice-day-image-0001.gif.da1fc4442317b53ceff35a4cba1096bb.gifEveryone !!   :classic_wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Perhaps switching everything off and unplugging everything and taken the aerial out of the TV (popular problem if lightening strikes tv aerial and to find earth usually damages tv) is very sensible precaution. But opening doors and taken hair clips out was a bit too much, if lightening does strike a house it usually tries to find an earth or damage items but dont think it would strike house and leave via an open door. The usual damage if lightening strikes a house is tv aerial, electrics, chimneys or roofs.

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Many of the discussions were inordinately ill-tempered. I used to read it occasionally but was far too terrified to post.😱

I remember one particular clash. A guy named Alan B•••••n went right off the rails and P&O were very slow to moderate the site. There was his DD Tracey who joined in the ongoing spat. 
I wonder where the likes of Derek K•••, Philip G•••••, & Elaine B•••• are?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Thank you Andy , a very good day to you as well.:classic_smile:

I love and understand your sense of humour and long may it last ! 

You're OK  I don’t suffer from insanity  ...  I enjoy every minute of it.:classic_smile:

animated-have-a-nice-day-image-0001.gif.da1fc4442317b53ceff35a4cba1096bb.gifEveryone !!   :classic_wink:

Me too kalos. If everyone in this world is sane, then I'm  glad I'm bloomin' barmy. 🙂

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Morning all... 

Andy 

Afternoon Andy, there's nothing wrong with your sense of humour, may I steal this joke ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Perhaps switching everything off and unplugging everything and taken the aerial out of the TV (popular problem if lightening strikes tv aerial and to find earth usually damages tv) is very sensible precaution. But opening doors and taken hair clips out was a bit too much, if lightening does strike a house it usually tries to find an earth or damage items but dont think it would strike house and leave via an open door. The usual damage if lightening strikes a house is tv aerial, electrics, chimneys or roofs.

I tried telling mum she was going a bit OTT, but being born in 1908 she had a lot of old wives tales she lived by. I just used to nod and leave her to it. 😉

Avril