MSC GRANDIOSA - 8/16/2020 - Anyone Live?

Formula280SS

Just now, Fogfog said:

Correct..typically MSC does embarkations at many Med ports..So you could do a 4 night for example and get on in one port and off in another...or do a RT for a week.  It is not like the Caribbean loops.

From what I understand, they took on the original passengers in Genoa, and have embarked more at Civitavecchia, Naples and Palermo.

if this is true, I’m not sure, in the current situation, that it’s a good idea to have an ever changing group of passengers mixing with each other (unless they are all in ‘bubbles’)

With a Caribbean loop, they embark and disembark everyone on the same day and can have a deep clean between cruises. But, with the MSC cruise model, people’s cruises end at different time - this seems to add an extra element of risk 

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

From what I understand, they took on the original passengers in Genoa, and have embarked more at Civitavecchia, Naples and Palermo.

if this is true, I’m not sure, in the current situation, that it’s a good idea to have an ever changing group of passengers mixing with each other (unless they are all in ‘bubbles’)

With a Caribbean loop, they embark and disembark everyone on the same day and can have a deep clean between cruises. But, with the MSC cruise model, people’s cruises end at different time - this seems to add an extra element of risk 

MSC has always had embarkations at several ports..this isn't new for them

As far as "risk"-- we don't know where everyone is from or where they have traveled...

Are they only Italians?

The Mein Shiff ship only sailed with Germany/Austria/Swiss (?) and I believe had no port stops

I'm not worried and don't intend on living in a bubble nor cruising with masks/nor forced vax...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, as400guy said:

I'm suspicious of the nice round number 1,000.

As am I.  I think it's just the number MSC gave to the port authority so they would have the proper number of baggage handlers, etc....  MSC officials have stated the first sailing is expected to be kept around 1500 total passengers, then as they hone the processes will allow up to 70% capacity.  Every picture and video I've seen seems to indicate there is currently not many passengers.

12 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It has pros and cons.  On the other hand, this makes it easier for them to control the situation during boarding.  The whole embarkation process is now more complicated, due to temperature measurements, health questionnaires, etc and takes therefore more time. If all the passengers of such a large ship were gathered at once in the terminal in Genoa, it would not be safe either. Taking this into account, it is better that boarding is spread over 4 different ports.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

As far as "risk"-- we don't know where everyone is from or where they have traveled...

Are they only Italians?

The Mein Shiff ship only sailed with Germany/Austria/Swiss (?) and I believe had no port stops.

From what I heard on this Msc Grandiosa cruise about 90% of the passengers are Italians, 10% from other EU countries.

And as for the Mein Schiff cruises, those are indeed cruises without ports, they only do 3-7 nights “panormaic cruises” to Norway, Sweden and Finland. I think the reason is that most Scandinavian and Baltic countries still do not allow cruises. For this reason for example, Tui had to change some itineraries recently, because Norway has banned even panoramic cruises. In the case of Tui, you can only embark and disembark in one port: in Kiel for Mein Schiff 1 and in Hamburg for Mein Schiff 2. It will be different on the 3rd ship which Tui adds in September.  Mein Schiff 6 will have cruises to Greece from Crete, with port stops and shore excursions on similar terms as Msc Grandiosa.

Nothing about the itinerary suggests multiple stops for the boarding of new passengers/disembarkation of passengers for this cruise, and this would not meet the current standards under which cruise ships can sail. While this cruise is visiting ports, excursions are tightly controlled (it's basically on/off fairly quickly). There are no excursions allowing passengers to get off the ship and roam freely, nor any excursions taking passengers into the closest city to drop off and freely move about. The countries allowing ports of call have specifically mandated no passengers are allowed to roam free. As such, having passengers board the cruise at a port of call would definitely not be allowed, even if MSC has done this in the past. Remember, cruising now looks entirely different. I have hopes for this cruise but am not going to be at all surprised if someone tests positive at some point and is quarantined. Remember, people can be asymptomatic for weeks with this virus.

Edited by DEAdams
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, DEAdams said:

Nothing about the itinerary suggests multiple stops for the boarding of new passengers/disembarkation of passengers for this cruise, and this would not meet the current standards under which cruise ships can sail. While this cruise is visiting ports, excursions are tightly controlled (it's basically on/off fairly quickly). There are no excursions allowing passengers to get off the ship and roam freely, nor any excursions taking passengers into the closest city to drop off and freely move about. The countries allowing ports of call have specifically mandated no passengers are allowed to roam free. As such, having passengers board the cruise at a port of call would definitely not be allowed, even if MSC has done this in the past. Remember, cruising now looks entirely different. I have hopes for this cruise but am not going to be at all surprised if someone tests positive at some point and is quarantined. Remember, people can be asymptomatic for weeks with this virus.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/italy-s-first-post-covid-19-cruise-departs

"The first passengers boarded in Genoa, but in an attempt to limit travel to the ship and especially on public transit, the ship will also embark passengers in Civitavecchia, Naples, and Palermo."

Edited by Formula280SS
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/italy-s-first-post-covid-19-cruise-departs

"The first passengers boarded in Genoa, but in an attempt to limit travel to the ship and especially on public transit, the ship will also embark passengers in Civitavecchia, Naples, and Palermo."

Thanks for the link, I knew I’d seen it somewhere. 

If this is correct, as I said earlier this seems to have risks.

When they get back to Genoa, the passengers that boarded there will disembark, and a new group will board, mixing with the psssengers that boarded in Civitavecchia, Naples and Palermo. Then when they get to Civitavecchia again, another group will disembark and another set will board, and so on.

1 hour ago, DEAdams said:

There is a strong suggestion that passengers are getting on at multiple ports. It looks like you agree with me, that this is not a good idea. 

• Like 1

She arrived in Palermo, there is a nice live webcam after all of this small and blurry ones that did update only every few minutes. I love the picture - with the traditional boat in front and the beautiful Grandiosa in the back.

grafik.thumb.png.34115b0e1b2d871095f047cc2cace011.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChC said:

I sincerely hope they are not doing the public bus stops around med. That is crazy for current situation. I have done their public bus stops cruise in the med before and did not like it that much. It is basically a ferry without cars. 

9 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

we don't like the mass transport of organized groups, therfore no MSC at this time.

We are going to Mein Schiff 1 End to the month

Wouldn't it be nice, and actually fair and reasonable, to actually know what the excursions on this specific cruise actually were, how organized, etc. PRIOR TO making a determination that they are "this way or that way" and "MSC" is to be avoided because of such (i.e, they're indicted, unproven, that they are risking passengers with public mass transportation).

Seriously, sad.

Edited by Formula280SS
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, UniPac said:

She arrived in Palermo, there is a nice live webcam after all of this small and blurry ones that did update only every few minutes. I love the picture - with the traditional boat in front and the beautiful Grandiosa in the back.

grafik.thumb.png.34115b0e1b2d871095f047cc2cace011.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

Great webcam.  Agree, once it settles, it's crystal clear.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/sicilia/palermo/porto-palermo.html

13 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

sorry, I do mean by mass transport a lot of people in a MSC bus, not by public bus

That's fine, NP.

Yet it begs the question 'at what point does it end as 'for cruise lines, nope? 

General public air travel, public transit buses, trains, shared cars, hotels, airports, schools, school buses, restaurants, hotels, etc. "are all" making whatever adjustments imaginable to 'make life start to work again.

For cruise ships?  Nope.  No such allowance.

Nursing homes in NYC, now the media darling and 'the model of C-19 responses.  Sad.

First, what other 'bus or 'ferry (in the world) chartered, probably cleaned, by and for MSC, would only have 'riders that are passengers on a cruise ship that have passed THREE C-19 related protocols, including a C-19 "swab test."

Seriously, how can there be any other further comparative, without such information and clarification?

Sorry, not intending to be so sour, but this has been a fun thread, informational, and very positive and upbeat; a sharp difference from everyday life in every aspect since March.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am in contact with an Italian woman onboard the Grandiosa as we speak. She reports several things which are extremely encouraging. (I'm translating from Italian)

1. The basic protocols are being followed and even exceeded
  2. Social distancing, wearing of masks, disinfecting the cabins and public areas are going beyond what's required
  3. Temperature checks twice a day, and swabs upon embarkation and for those disembarking on Malta.

And all of this with minimal bother to the guests. She reports that the ship is at about 70% capacity, which is to say 4,000 passengers in all. The crew has been amazing and very kind. And while anything could happen, she feels this is not just a trial cruise but a resumption of cruising in a sector that deserves it (a return to business as usual).

She goes on but it's essentially the same story, that every hygiene and cleaning measure is being followed, the passengers are adhering to the rules and they're enjoying their vacation.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

• Members

Hi all. We've been following this. A bit about passengers being denied boarding who went off on their own for a shore excursion, as well as those who had positive antigen tests (and were also held back for further testing): https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5540/

• Like 3

So if the (quick) Antigen test is positive, you have a second chance to board at later time by doing the goldstandard PCR test. If this tests negative two times you are allowed to board.

I would be very interested how MSC takes care about this as if both PCR are negative, it's the "fault" of the antigen test provided by MSC that causes you to be not allowed to board. In that case I hope MSC takes care of hotel cost, transportation and partly refund of the cruise fare as you missed some days.

53 minutes ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Hi all. We've been following this. A bit about passengers being denied boarding who went off on their own for a shore excursion, as well as those who had positive antigen tests (and were also held back for further testing): https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5540/

Super informative.  Thanks so much.

• Like 1

Mein Schiff Take people who is allowed to travel to Germany. I was on the first sailing from Kiel. I am Danish, and I Take the next trip with Mein Schiff 1 from Kiel the 11.th of September and Grandiosa the 4. Off October from Genova. It is so fantastic to Be back on the Big ships again. I love it to much.....

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

My idea of Hell being herded about and not free to roam etc.
I realise it's a different world now but not for me like this, looking forward more to our week in Derbyshire UK roaming the hills and mountains :-)