MSC GRANDIOSA - 8/16/2020 - Anyone Live?

Formula280SS

4 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

It says it provides "protection to guard from introduction of foreign substances to your face." Nowhere does it say it protects anyone else from the wearer. That's why it's recommended you wear a face mask with the shield. 

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

It's certainly the case in England and Northern Ireland that shields can be worn alone by staff in hospitality etc as it's PPE.

You probably know better than I about what is acceptable in the UK.  I'm in the US and I look to the CDC for guidance.  Here's what they say about face shields.....

"A face shield is primarily used for eye protection for the person wearing it. At this time, it is not known what level of protection a face shield provides to people nearby from the spray of respiratory droplets from the wearer. There is currently not enough evidence to support the effectiveness of face shields for source control. Therefore, CDC does not currently recommend use of face shields as a substitute for masks."

Putting all that aside.....  MSC says all of their crew wear face masks.  That is not true.  They should either do what they say or change what they say they do.  Customers should not be mislead as to the actual practices on board.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sidari said:

In the UK anyone traveling with a Deaf person does not have to wear a mask in order that the deaf person can lip read, it will be interesting to see How and If cruise lines deal with this issue, if in fact they have even considered it or it has even crossed their minds.

I read that anyone that had a medical condition that would prevent them from wearing a mask would not be allowed to board at this time.  That may change after things getting go without any cases but for now they weren't taking any chances.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

You probably know better than I about what is acceptable in the UK.  I'm in the US and I look to the CDC for guidance.  Here's what they say about face shields.....

"A face shield is primarily used for eye protection for the person wearing it. At this time, it is not known what level of protection a face shield provides to people nearby from the spray of respiratory droplets from the wearer. There is currently not enough evidence to support the effectiveness of face shields for source control. Therefore, CDC does not currently recommend use of face shields as a substitute for masks."

Putting all that aside.....  MSC says all of their crew wear face masks.  That is not true.  They should either do what they say or change what they say they do.  Customers should not be mislead as to the actual practices on board.  

Thank you for posting this.  Yesterday I commented about a video from the buffet with several food servers only wearing shields.  They do not prevent droplets from their nose or mouth from entering food etc.   They need to wear masks!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Até said:

Here's a buffet video.  They have plexiglass shields so people can't reach in to the food.  Servers mostly have face shields only.  Drink station was scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2H935qSZE8

ETA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CEZI_tqUFA

Self served drink station is definitely a weak link. MSC needs to adopt the RCCL model and assign buffet staff to pour drinks for guests.

• Like 3

Re the mask / shield debate I will make an observation after watching various programmes here in UK re Covid wards in hospitals ALL the staff were wearing the shields and not masks when dealing with patients we didn't see anyone wearing a mask even in ICU. I for one am happy that MSC are taking big steps to get us cruising again, they will make mistakes and learn from them.

Liz

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Bruges said:

But if problems (infections) will occur and the complete ship will have to go in quarantine....the whole community will pay for that. 

Despite all the testing, infections are expected on the ship (the only way to avoid this is to individually quarantine all guests for at least 14 days before they board, and not let them off at ports).  This is why there are all the social distancing requirements and other precautions on board.

When a case occurs onboard, only close contacts will be quarantined.  Not the full ship.

On masks - I can understand face coverings are a political topic in the English speaking world.    Luckily much less political here, and having taken holidays through Europe (Greece, Czechia, Austria, Slovakia, Italy) the last few months, face shields seem to be accepted as an alternative to masks for service staff.  Of course, that doesn't mean anything about their effectiveness.

I wish all those cruising at the moment or in the future weeks a wonderful holiday.  Of course, now (as in normal times) it is not everyone's idea of a good holiday.   I am jealous, and considering going in September or October when the prices are lower.

Edited by 8420PR
  • Like 1

So, if we take a step back.  PPE is used by everyone, at least here in Florida, because you have no idea if the person next to you is infected.  By testing everyone before they get on the ship, and really testing the employees, MSC has created its own "bubble".  You can reasonably expect there is a smaller chance of being infected than out in the general public.

The PPE on board is extra protection, in that case in my opinion, is adequate.  Time will tell.  As for the drink stand, that is the way they are here at every gas station and fast food place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UniPac said:

She arrived in Valletta, Malta and it seems to be beautiful wheather:

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/de/webcam/malta/malta/floriana/grand-harbour-valletta-waterfront.html

grafik.thumb.png.23103d50d4d497150ffd953982d0a4a3.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

Thanks.  The best part for us about the thread has been following the ship, the great shots of the ports from port cams or other ship web cams (smart CC members) and seeing the ship.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Re the mask / shield debate I will make an observation after watching various programmes here in UK re Covid wards in hospitals ALL the staff were wearing the shields and not masks when dealing with patients we didn't see anyone wearing a mask even in ICU. I for one am happy that MSC are taking big steps to get us cruising again, they will make mistakes and learn from them.

Liz

Do you understand that face shields do Not prevent droplets from someone's mouth or nose coming in contact with food that you will eat served by a waiter or cook?  

Someone working with covid patients doesnt need to worry about infecting their patients as they are already infected so sure I shield would be sufficient for the medical personnel.

But for other jobs such as a food handler for general public a mask should be mandatory to prevent.  I dont want someone's droplets in my food or drink!!

Better safe than sorry!

• Like 2

so happy that all is going well and a big thumbs up for those considerate travellers who are posting videos on youtube ( thanks to those of you who put in links above).  I don't think any MSC has been so avidly followed.  Think it's just a sea day tomorrow and back to Genoa on Sunday.

Well done to MSC for dipping their toe in the water. Such a shame that we are moving towards the end of the standard Med season by the time UK cruisers can book ( Nov) but bodes well, so far, for the future. 

• Like 4

I am thrilled to see cruising has restarted and hope to be able to board a ship in coming months.

The salon I go to every couple of weeks has all workers wearing face mask and shields for their eye protection.   This is a very safe approach.  

Bubbles created are bursted each time someone new enters that bubble. 

I wish everyone cruising the best and hope the passengers are enjoying their trip and all return home healthy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am thrilled to see cruising has restarted and hope to be able to board a ship in coming months.

The salon I go to every couple of weeks has all workers wearing face mask and shields for their eye protection.   This is a very safe approach.  

Bubbles created are bursted each time someone new enters that bubble. 

I wish everyone cruising the best and hope the passengers are enjoying their trip and all return home healthy.

What kind of salon is that? I mean glass protection is important but the way you take off these glasses is important as well. I mean you can have all the protection in the world, but then you take it off, touch it with a naked arms and you are infected. So, even with the maximum possible protection, you still have a high chance of catching something nasty. 

10 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

What kind of salon is that? I mean glass protection is important but the way you take off these glasses is important as well. I mean you can have all the protection in the world, but then you take it off, touch it with a naked arms and you are infected. So, even with the maximum possible protection, you still have a high chance of catching something nasty. 

Beauty salon that does hair nails waxing etc

Wash your hands as soon as you remove your mask and shield.  Masks are disposable or wash them on a regular basis.

I have 4 or 5 cloth masks I rotate while others wash/dry.   Easy to sterilize face shield..

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Do you understand that face shields do Not prevent droplets from someone's mouth or nose coming in contact with food that you will eat served by a waiter or cook?  

Someone working with covid patients doesnt need to worry about infecting their patients as they are already infected so sure I shield would be sufficient for the medical personnel.

But for other jobs such as a food handler for general public a mask should be mandatory to prevent.  I dont want someone's droplets in my food or drink!!

Better safe than sorry!

Earlier I managed to get in touch with a friend from Italy who is onboard the ship and asked about the Masks v Face Shield, her response was "It depends on what job they have" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Better safe than sorry!

I don't think people commenting on visors v face masks etc particularly from America realize that all the crew have been tested numerous times before boarding and had to quarantine before boarding, they are also constantly checked on board.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sidari said:

Earlier I managed to get in touch with a friend from Italy who is onboard the ship and asked about the Masks v Face Shield, her response was "It depends on what job they have" 

Yes I agree there are some jobs where a face shield works fine but imo a food server giving me something I will eat or drink should wear a mask.  Droplets.......

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

I don't think people commenting on visors v face masks etc particularly from America realize that all the crew have been tested numerous times before boarding and had to quarantine before boarding, they are also constantly checked on board.

Please realize a test is only good for that moment.  If msc is testing their crew every day that is great.  Then a food server wearing only a face shield is just fine.  

Yes I am an American and have been disgusted by all those who dont follow simple rules. 

Again I wish everyone on the msc and tui sailings the best and hope they are enjoying their cruise.  

We will all learn what to do and what not to do and hopefully not at the cost of someone's life.

I have had 5 cruises cancelled including my b2b for baltic and norway.

I have 4 future cruises booked and hope to be on a ship sailing someday soon.

Good luck to all those sailing now.  Time for me to leave for work.

Have a great day!

38 minutes ago, sidari said:

7 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes I agree there are some jobs where a face shield works fine but imo a food server giving me something I will eat or drink should wear a mask.  Droplets.......

Although I'm trying not to get too "into" the mask versus shield versus mask and shield issue (not even knowing what the quality of each mask and/or shield is for either the crew or the passengers), I like the flow of the above comments.

"depends of what job" is likely well defined in their protocols (the operating manuals, not the press releases) and makes sense.  I would prefer anyone preparing or handling my food or drinks, or even table settings, wear a mask "for my protection."  I'm more open to alternative shields in many, many other crew assignments on the ship; so the comment is well noted.

"particularly from America" is a repetitive theme in some posts, it is what it is.  As the comment continues, agreed as this thread clearly addressed the C-19 protocols to even get on the ship as crew or passengers, the ongoing protocols, the port protocols, etc.  So, MSC has, in essence, followed US professional sports that have "created a bubble" that attempts to provide a safer environment.  So, yes, there appears to be less risk in the bubble re: masks versus shields; yet I'm still for the masks re: food and drinks as stated above.

"food server" (even expanded to other handlers), as per above I agree.

As an aside, there are those, and I would be one, if serving, that wear both a mask (if a quality one, protects others) and a shield (or goggles,  to protect me via my eyes).

Hopefully, we can get more answers with direct contacts as Sidari and the CC Editor's have done in the coming sailings.  👍

• Thanks 1