The Daily for Thursday Aug 13, 2020

richwmn

today is Left Handers Day  and National Prosecco Day

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first call promising.

Meal suggestion for today - Triple Tomato Flatbread

Wine of the day - Bookwalter Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley Readers vintage 2015

At Sea Atlantic
Amsterdam destination Rotterdam eta 8/15

At Sea Indian
Eurodam destination Durban eta 8/21
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Durban eta 8/21
Volendam destination Durban eta 8/18

At Sea Pacific
Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage) destination Panama Canal, eta 8/13

Katakolo
Veendam

Limassol
Maasdam

Mombasa
Westerdam

Punta Arenas
Koningsdam
Oosterdam

Rotterdam
Rotterdam - at ROTTERDAM BOTLEK

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

Singapore Area
Noordam
Zuiderdam

0813Pacific.png

0813Eurasia.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  It's early.  It's a great time of the day.  It will be hot and humid this afternoon, but quite pleasant now. 

Thanks for the Daily.  Love it.  Interesting maps.

The quote is thought provoking.

Your dinner suggestion sounds interesting, but we'll have pork chops and baked potato.   I'll pick some green beans this afternoon to round out the meal.  I'll check out the wine situation.

Praying for everyone in this crazy world.

Be calm.  Be kind.  Be safe.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 7

Good morning.  Enjoy seeing where the ships are and hoping we will be on them soon.  The quote is interesting and relevant in today's climate.  I love flatbread but we are having take-out from Panara.  Please stay safe daily-ites and wear your mask and social distance.  Found out last night a neighbor is fighting the virus.  Prayers for all of us!

• Like 7

Wow.  Rich is early today and I am late.  Any day is a good day for cheese and we need left handed people.  The quote is interesting.

I was thinking I had never been on a HAL ship on August 13 but that isn't quite true.  On August 13, 1997 I was on SS Rotterdam and we were in Ketchikan.  I don't have the menus but the day in Ketchikan on the Westerdam I liked the Turf from Surf and Turf, App;e, Pear, and Cucumber salad, and Orange and Almond Cake.

Today's care list:

summer slope's neighbor

Fatcat's MIL

Mrs Vmax

Those affected by wildfires, especially Colorado

The people on Labyrinth Road, NW Baltimore

Those affected by flash floods yesterday in Maryland and I'm sure beyond

Sturgis SD

The passengers and crew of Wilderness Adventurer.  The ship is on her way to her layup site in Seattle so I take that as a good sign.

Sanity for the Sheriff in Florida who prohibits his employees from wearing masks.

Quick remediation of the mini-demic in Auckland

and Krazy Kruizers and Joe

Today's celebrations and shout outs:

Allen

Denise and David (I think 2 days from freedom)

Sharon's in-laws

Front line health workers

Teachers

Kazu, maintaining an ever changing Future Cruise List

and Tioga Cruiser on her last day in the office.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Rogue Sheriff
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning a Dailyites & my Sisters.  

Drumroll 🥁🥁🥁🥁 please: today is @TiogaCruiser’s last day of work! Woo hoo. Raise your coffee mugs & tea cups in celebration. 

I know some great lefties & Prosecco is always welcome here!

Interesting quote.  Meal suggestion sounds good & easy. Great for a casual night. 

Here’s is Wine Spectator’s take on this reasonably priced, well-rated Cab:

WS92
Wine Spectator
Polished yet appealingly brawny, with floral black cherry, toasted spice and bittersweet chocolate flavors that take on momentum toward refined tannins. Drink now through 2026.

Rich - that second map is amazing!

Prayers and well wishes to all on the Care list & 🥂 to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

image.jpeg.f6e8a534ed7c1df021a35773c786a80e.jpeg

FUNNY BIRTHDAY CARD humour banter girl PROSECCO friend mate ...

Good morning Rich. Thanks again for getting up with the chickens.

Hello Daily-ites, my sisters Denise and Ann, Roy, Jacqui, the list goes on!! Thank you for your input to our Daily. I love your pictures, prayer list, celebrations, wine explanations.. What other thread has so much fun? Hey Roy, today is also filet mignon day, so throw on a lobster and get your surf and turf.

This morning I changed the bird feeder and bird bath. The cardinals were waiting on the fence for me to finish. I read where they can be shy, but they must know I'm one of the good gals.

I am scratching my head on the quote. I will have to ponder that.

So Prosecco Day is the perfect day to celebrate @TiogaCruiser on retirement!! Toasting to you at 4:00 this afternoon!

(Denise will have to join us like.. noon Maui time?)

Allen has a post op check up later today. I'm sure everything is fine. He even rode his trike around the block yesterday morning.

Have a fun day. Remember to say prayers for all of our loved ones as well as our care list, and pray for our world to come out of this pandemic. Love ya'll!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Wow.  Rich is early today and I am late.  Any day is a good day for cheese and we need left handed people.  The quote is interesting.

I was thinking I had never been on a HAL ship on August 13 but that isn't quite true.  On August 13, 1997 I was on SS Rotterdam and we were in Ketchikan.  I don't have the menus but the day in Ketchikan on the Westerdam I liked the Turf from Surf and Turf, App;e, Pear, and Cucumber salad, and Orange and Almond Cake.

Today's care list:

Sanity for the Sheriff in Florida who prohibits his employees from wearing masks.

Can you believe this IDIOT is enforcing the laws in my state! He is getting a well-deserved backlash. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This morning I changed the bird feeder and bird bath. The cardinals were waiting on the fence for me to finish. I read where they can be shy, but they must know I'm one of the good gals.

So Prosecco Day is the perfect day to celebrate @TiogaCruiser on retirement!! Toasting to you at 4:00 this afternoon!

(Denise will have to join us like.. noon Maui time?)

Allen has a post op check up later today. I'm sure everything is fine. He even rode his trike around the block yesterday morning.

Have a fun day. Remember to say prayers for all of our loved ones as well as our care list, and pray for our world to come out of this pandemic. Love ya'll!

Great idea, Joy. And much more fun than coffee or tea! 🥂

Hope all goes smoothly for Allen & you today. ❤️
Clearly those cardinals know how lucky they are! 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 5

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Symphony Panama Canal cruise.  On August 13 we were at  Cabo San Lucas. This was my route home from my Grand Alaska on the Volendam and Westerdam  I often like to look for the unusual angle for sunrises and sunsets.

dawn0818.jpg

Roy

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, cat shepard said:
30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's care list:

Can you believe this IDIOT is enforcing the laws in my state! He is getting a well-deserved backlash. 

Unfortunately, some who have been detained (and I'll bet their lawyers) by Marion County Sheriff Office have claimed they did not hear/understand what the officers said because they were wearing masks.  There are many exceptions to the rule whereby officers can wear masks. (Thank goodness I don't need to enter the sheriff's office building - I would not feel comfortable going there without my mask.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Unfortunately, some who have been detained (and I'll bet their lawyers) by Marion County Sheriff Office have claimed they did not hear/understand what the officers said because they were wearing masks.  There are many exceptions to the rule whereby officers can wear masks. (Thank goodness I don't need to enter the sheriff's office building - I would not feel comfortable going there without my mask.)

There are other ways to protect the integrity of the detainment. The deputy can ask the detainee to repeat the message & then sign a statement. Perhaps a bit more work, but this is serious. 18 - 49 year olds are now the largest % of those hospitalized by the virus. And just a few days ago, Florida’s % of deaths was around 13%! Not anything to fool with. 

And is the Sheriff liable, if a deputy, visitor or detainee contracts the virus? Is hospitalized? Or dies?

Sorry, I am so worked up about this. A neighbor two houses down from mine had the virus & recovered, but he now has permanent lung damage. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My favorite left hander is my DH who is celebrating his birthday today on Left Handers Day.  This lucky man was also born on Friday the 13th, too!   

Thanks for the Daily today Rich!  And congrats to TiogaCruiser on their retirement.

WOW! 🥂 to your DH! Definitely a red letter day for him!

• Like 5

I am pretty sure I have a couple of bottles of Prosecco in the ice box, might have to pop one open tonight! 

In the Azores; spring 2018 TA on the Eurodam. Looking down at one of the lakes around Sete Cidades -

image.thumb.png.8e14607eb5dfebfb39f5c56fe54574e9.png

And a close up of the pink azalea-like flowers - image.thumb.png.598625853215d9dcad7816a123a67ad0.png

Looking down at Sete Cidades and a the adjacent valley - 

image.thumb.png.2f4955925e803eda71d69fe820105964.png

image.thumb.png.205a17b3efbfc2527659568586e24919.png

• Like 7

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I’ll happily celebrate left handlers day.  I started out left handed (got switched to right for writing) but I remain ambidextrous and mostly use my left hand except for writing 😉  And toasting the day with Prosecco sounds perfect 😉 

Interesting quote.  Not sure what is on the menu for dinner but it’s going to have to be something that doesn’t heat up the kitchen.  It’s going to be a hot one!

@TiogaCruiser congratulations on retirement 🥂👏

@Seasick Sailor good luck with Allen’s check up.

For my deer fighting friends, here is the liatris that I posted a bit ago.  As you can see it continues to increase it’s blooms and no deer touch it.

8B02B1FD-C2B6-43B3-AF53-BB29450AA078.thumb.jpeg.bf16faf02b842e297b9963a96a9893bc.jpeg

You can see how far down the blooms will go in the close up.  All the way down to where the green starts.

00DF7A3B-5055-4C86-BBF1-84A8C26DE8EE.thumb.jpeg.e011210581ed69a1434f42f24bae92dd.jpeg

Just a little sunpatiens 

0C9C6B0C-A629-4C2C-AEA6-73D52FCE0552.thumb.jpeg.88aec823d01ba052e1d48b3690ac3325.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on our Care list.  Hope everyone is doing better.

Have a great day, stay safe and don’t forget your mask.

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm toasting @TiogaCruiser  with coffee in my left hand this morning!  Happy last day to you; may you enjoy a long, happy, healthy retirement!

Today's quote is certainly interesting, particularly in light of how one of the current world leaders treats his subordinates . . .   Love the flatbread suggestion, but tonight's a pizza night - friends of ours are moving back into the city, so we're going over there with pizza to social distance and celebrate so they don't have to cook on their first night in their new home.  And wine.  Maybe even Prosecco.

Prayers for all those who need them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks again for the updates Rich.  I bet those who have luggage on the Gulf Bridge are watching the canal webcam today!  Not celebrating today but I know Ann and Pat 🥂will be!  Cat, we have caring for cardinals in common.  They now have gotten into the habit of looking in our kitchen window to see if DH has anything for them, talk about spoiled.  Late to the party, it's tomato 🍅 pie for dinner tonight.  Get well wishes for those who are under the weather, happy retirement to Tiogo Cruiser 💐and to all, happy Thursday.

Edited by gigianne
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gigianne said:

I bet those who have luggage on the Gulf Bridge are watching the canal webcam today!

The wait to enter the Panama Canal once a ship gets in line on either side is about 2 days which puts the transit for Gulf Bridge to either Saturday or Sunday. I can't imagine that anyone paid the extra for expedited entry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1