Where was I?

4 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I agree, but sometimes it is obvious that someone is using GPS co-ordinates, not personal knowledge.

If you are referring to me mate I have never seen that link before, so that is what you use. And yes I have been to Jordon

Shame you don't know how to spell it then.

There are many links that tell you how to find metadata for photos. I didn't know you could do that until I looked just now.

Edited by cruiser3775

17 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I agree, but sometimes it is obvious that someone is using GPS co-ordinates, not personal knowledge.

Then that defeats the whole point.

• Like 1

I have never used that link or google images that was mentioned before. Never heard of either until this thread. 

I once or twice got it quickly because I knew of the place eg the  tin  camel roundabout or once it was the silos next town to me that I have seen in person  many times. 

Lots of times I have made guesses which are way off the mark or held off even guessing altogether  because I have no idea. 

I have used  clues to google - one clue was that there was city of same name in Egypt so I googled cities in  Egypt - is that not ok? 

I like this game, would be sorry to see it fold. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

I have never used that link or google images that was mentioned before. Never heard of either until this thread. 

I once or twice got it quickly because I knew of the place eg the  tin  camel roundabout or once it was the silos next town to me that I have seen in person  many times. 

Lots of times I have made guesses which are way off the mark or held off even guessing altogether  because I have no idea. 

I have used  clues to google - one clue was that there was city of same name in Egypt so I googled cities in  Egypt - is that not ok? 

I like this game, would be sorry to see it fold. 

I haven't used the link.

I have used google maps to either confirm or to search an area for a more exact name (such as with the ballons in the yarra valley). 

In my mind, using the clues and to narrow a search is fine.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I haven't used the link.

I have used google maps to either confirm or to search an area for a more exact name (such as with the ballons in the yarra valley). 

I agree totally with that, most people on this thread have used clues to try and find on google the place in the photo if not known and if you know where the photo is it is no crime to post a reply to that photo no matter how quick that is.Hopefully we can continue soon.

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Next photo:

WherewasI 19.jpg

I didn't use the link but by quickly right clicking the image I could see it was the Kings Highway, Jordan in no time. I've been on the Kings Hwy down to Petra and the Dead Sea and I didn't recognise it. I thought it was probably in the Middle East. I'd never 'cheat' like that as it defeats the purpose of having a fun game. Its fun to look at clues and of course looking at maps etc. when the clue is 'to go north' is sensible and to be expected.

This is the second time in about a month we've had the conversation of some arriving at the answer within seconds aided by whatever method they use before others have even had a look. So its probably the case.

What's the alternative? Don't play or post a pic that so generic no one can figure it out???

Anyway @cruiser3775, I also enjoy your posts and the helpful information you provide on various cruises, I hope you continue to post in other threads 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I haven't used the link.

Then how come you knew that blowhole was on a coast between rocks?

I see others are beginning to feel frustration. I think that following clues is the best part if the game. Or asking elimination questions, which should be answered with something more than "not there". Of course I have mentioned this a couple of times and been mocked for it.

I think when @OzKiwiJJ started this it was supposed to be a fun way to talk about places we have been. Some people decided it was some kind of stump the others competition. 

• Like 4

@cruiser3775 I would have guessed Jordan or Oman from that pic just because of the landscape. Sometimes people just know what they know🤷‍♀️. A quick guess doesn't necessarily mean cheating.

Hope the game continues, love reading about places I otherwise never would have heard off. 

• Like 4

so, for those in the know, is it possible to disable this meta data when posting a photo?

or if I took a photo of the photo and then posted that , would the metadata show Kristelle's home town rather than the actual place the photo is from?

I do agree questions should be answered with a helpful elimination clue - ie wrong state, not that country etc - at least until it is narrowed down.

I also hope game continues.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I see others are beginning to feel frustration. I think that following clues is the best part if the game. Or asking elimination questions, which should be answered with something more than "not there". Of course I have mentioned this a couple of times and been mocked for it.

I think when @OzKiwiJJ started this it was supposed to be a fun way to talk about places we have been. Some people decided it was some kind of stump the others competition. 

Yes, I started this when we were all stuck at home due to the pandemic and it seemed a nice way to visit and discover places around the world that we may not have been to, or if we have then to bring back fond memories. 

It is better to have helpful responses to guesses, not just yes or no. Responses that guide people in the right direction. If the game seems to have stalled then clues are appropriate but remember people aren't online all the time so don't jump in too quickly with the clues, give people time to think about it first. 

I see nothing wrong with using Google Maps to check whether your guess is on track. For example I wondered if the previous photo was the Crown Ranges in NZ but a quick check on Google showed me it couldn't be as that road has more vegetation around it.

This is supposed to just be a bit of fun not a competition. Let's keep it that way. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2