Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Well, I can see it is a tender port, or was when this was taken.  Not a lot of forestation.  Only place I can relate to would be Iceland.  But I have not much experience in the Southern Hemisphere...  sure looks like Mongolia, but I don’t recall seeing any ports there...  EM

I'll jump in with a guess - getting it in before the other side of the world wakes up. 

Based on pictures from our land-based vacation (not a cruise), it looks like the harbor near Christchurch, New Zealand, that we essentially found by being totally lost from the direction we planned to go. With a little on-line detective work, I came up with Akora Harbor on the South Island.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Akaroa, New Zealand is what I came up with as well for that last port photo. Another call on @Colin_Cameron's QE cruise around New Zealand.

At least it proves somebody has watched the video😄

And well done @ExArkie.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Based on pictures from our land-based vacation (not a cruise), it looks like the harbor near Christchurch, New Zealand, that we essentially found by being totally lost from the direction we planned to go. With a little on-line detective work, I came up with Akora Harbor on the South Island.

3 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

At least it proves somebody has watched the video😄

And well done @ExArkie.

One of the attractions of Akaroa is dolphins that live there in the harbour.  Did either of you see any?  I've only been to the town once, also on a land drive around the south island, but did not have any dolphin sightings.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

One of the attractions of Akaroa is dolphins that live there in the harbour.  Did either of you see any?  I've only been to the town once, also on a land drive around the south island, but did not have any dolphin sightings.

We did not see dolphins. Actually, that was why we took the detour (en route from Christchurch to Dunedin via a leisurely paced drive) in the first place - my wife was reading up on the things I had missed in planning our itinerary and noted that dolphins hang out in the harbor. It was drizzling rain on the day we went, so the dolphins had better sense than we did to be out of that weather.

We had great weather but we didn’t see them either. I have to admit we’re rather spoiled on that front. There’s a resident population here in the Moray Firth. We can occasionally see them from our front window. If we walk 200 yards we can watch them every day of the year.

Unfortunate on our collective failure to see Akaroa NZ dolphins.  Apparently the ones located there are somewhat unique to NZ.  Although I'm afraid I could not distinguish one dolphin from another.  I have seen them riding QM2's bow wave on TAs after departing Southampton.  They always looked like they were having great fun.

On @carlmm's latest, unless @bluemarbleis finding success, I think we might need some hints?

20 minutes ago, sfred said:

On @carlmm's latest, unless @bluemarbleis finding success, I think we might need some hints?

No success to report here. I'm getting pretty blurry-eyed from hours of checking images of container terminals at many of the locations for the current Cunard fleet we haven't seen here yet. I think I've taken it just about as far as I can go at this point.

46 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I don't think he said that it was a 'new' port, nor that it was taken from one of the current fleet.

This one does satisfy both those criteria.

CD187.jpg

Volos, Greece?  There's a Greek flag on the boat, and the cargo cranes on the pier where pre-refit QV is moored match to a Google maps image of the port.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Different cruise, different time of the day, different perspective - same port!

Quest E 1b (5).JPG

Ah!   Buenos Aires, Argentina.  The city buildings in the distance were the key clue for me.  Despite having an overnight in this port on 14-15 February 2020, I never managed to take any photos of, or from, QV.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, sfred said:

Ah!   Buenos Aires, Argentina.  The city buildings in the distance were the key clue for me.  Despite having an overnight in this port on 14-15 February 2020, I never managed to take any photos of, or from, QV.

I thought, you would get it.

Actually my first hint might have been to subtle: Following your pictures of Montevideo, I wrote "Let's continue" due the closeness of the cities.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

We had great weather but we didn’t see them either. I have to admit we’re rather spoiled on that front. There’s a resident population here in the Moray Firth. We can occasionally see them from our front window. If we walk 200 yards we can watch them every day of the year.

I have seen those dolphins. A bit windy and cool (especially for the summer) when we were there, but they showed themselves for us.

Great to see all the activity on this thread this morning! As the saying goes, you snooze, you lose. Three more new Cunard ports I can now add to our growing list.

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I don't think he said that it was a 'new' port, nor that it was taken from one of the current fleet.

Quite right. Since he hadn't specifically said so, that did have me seriously questioning if I was on the right track with that strategy. Or perhaps the port had changed significantly since the photo was taken. Or perhaps that was showing some corner of the port not easy to locate in port photos.

In the end though, given all the possibilities, and not picking up on the "Let's continue.'" clue, I just hadn't spent enough time looking at Buenos Aires. After the fact, I can now easily find those cranes at the far left of the first photo with the white bases and red and white striped arms in port photos of Buenos Aires. That's the main clue I had been looking for so unsuccessfully.

10 hours ago, carlmm said:

And here the counterpart building in Buenos Aires.

Interestingly, original it was planned to have light beams from the towers in Montevideo and Buenos Aires to form a light bridge over the river.

100_7525.JPG

Yes, the two buildings (Palacio Salvo in Montevideo and Palacio Barolo in BA) had the same architect, Mario Palanti.  There's a sign at the Montevideo building telling of the history of the two buidings.  The BA one was completed first in 1923, and then Montevideo in 1928.  Both are quite unique and interesting.

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

In the end though, given all the possibilities, and not picking up on the "Let's continue.'" clue, I just hadn't spent enough time looking at Buenos Aires. After the fact, I can now easily find those cranes at the far left of the first photo with the white bases and red and white striped arms in port photos of Buenos Aires. That's the main clue I had been looking for so unsuccessfully.

I was trying that approach also.  I entered several different variations for google image searches on cargo/cranes/container/port/red/white/stripes.  Lots of possibilities came back, but nothing with the correct number of cranes (3) or the correct red/white colour patterns and white bases.  It wasn't until @carlmm second photo, showing the city buildings in the distance, that I recognised Buenos Aires.